unsolicited package-cache use

12

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

HilaireFernandes
Reading the BaselineOf class comment, will start with that..

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

Thierry Goubier
Hi Hilaire,

a BaselineOf is the same as a baseline method in a ConfigurationOf: a
list of packages with their prerequisites and groups.

What the BaselineOf does not contain are methods describing versions
with package versions and author names; instead, what a BaselineOf says
is: fetch the latest(*) version(**) of each package I have listed in my
baseline from the repository you found me in(***).

Thierry

(*) if there is more than one. With git, only one, with smalltalkhub,
more than one.

(**) a repository is supposed to contain package versions, even if that
version is -cypress.1 (metadata-less filetree).

(***) A repository here is a http one (i.e. smalltalkhub), a directory
in a branch in git, a tag in git, a directory on disk, a ftp directory,
etc...

PS: the power of Baselines + Git comes from the fact that you get a
repository per branch / per tag.

PS2: it is possible to have multiple repositories, and rewrite as
"latest version ... in the repositories... ". I have a use case or two
for that feature.

Le 02/04/2018 à 15:46, Hilaire a écrit :

> Hi Dale,
>
> Sorry to reply very lately to your help email, I am getting slow on
> Pharo those those days.
>
> I am afraid to be a bit out of sync: what is a BaselineOf? I only have a
> ConfigurationOfDrGeo and baseline methods into.
>
> Hilaire
>

> Le 18/01/2018 à 16:10, Dale Henrichs a écrit :
>>
>> Hilaire,
>>
>> Have you included a method in your BaselineOf that looks like this:
>>
>>     projectClass
>>
>>         ^ MetacelloCypressBaselineProject
>>
>> if not, then what looks like a package-cache problem could be that you
>> haven't told Metacello that you are using a metadataless
>> filetree/tonel repository.
>>
>> Metacello has an internal rule to not load Monticello packages of the
>> same version, since they are already loaded. However, when using
>> metadataless repositories the filetree/tonel Monticello package
>> readers typically generate a package name using the author/version
>> `-cypress.1`, which make Metacello think that the versions are the
>> same and the package is not loaded ... by including the above method
>> in your baselineof, Metacello will know to ignore the Monticello
>> author/version of the package and always load it....
>>
>> Of course, because Monticello only installs changed definitions when
>> costs a little bit in loading the _definitions_ into the image from
>> disk, but doesn't end up compiling any new methods or creating new
>> classes ...
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> On 1/18/18 6:49 AM, Hilaire wrote:
>>> It was a month ago; I don't remember the details but from what I can
>>> recover from my memory the scenario was:
>>>
>>> - From my dev. environment I saved code through Tonel, in the DrGeo
>>> used CVS.
>>>
>>> - When building, I specifically ask the code saved thought Tonel to
>>> be installed but the package-cache code version was used instead. It
>>> could be out of sync.

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

HilaireFernandes
Thanks for the update.

I will see, I don't use GIT and will not as drgeo code is on Launchpad
and the CVS is Bazaar. Launchpad comes with handing tooling to ease the
work of translators.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo