unsolicited package-cache use

12

unsolicited package-cache use

HilaireFernandes
I am using tonel format to install from and save to a local repository.

How to prevent Monticello/Configuration/Metacello to save packages to
the image package-cache dir?

Even when installing from a configuration with repo on tonel file
format, packages get created in the image package-cache directory.

I have read there and there, Pharo gets confused and uses wrongly the
package-cache versions and not the local repo.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

HilaireFernandes
If understood correctly, when using a tonel file repository to build up
an image, Pharo seems instead to take the sources from some
package-cache, which is out of sync, because the tonel file repo was
updated from another image, with a different cache. I guess I can trick
the file system but it is for the least very annoying, for the worst
unreliable.

Le 10/12/2017 à 18:16, Hilaire a écrit :

> I am using tonel format to install from and save to a local repository.
>
> How to prevent Monticello/Configuration/Metacello to save packages to
> the image package-cache dir?
>
> Even when installing from a configuration with repo on tonel file
> format, packages get created in the image package-cache directory.
>
> I have read there and there, Pharo gets confused and uses wrongly the
> package-cache versions and not the local repo.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

hernanmd
Hi Hilaire,

Which Pharo version?
Have you found any solution to this?
In Gofer there was #disablePackageCache, in Metacello I don't know,
maybe experimenting with MetacelloLoaderPolicy but there are no class
comments.
Cheers,

Hernán

Le 18/01/2018 à 05:30, Hernán Morales Durand a écrit :
> Which Pharo version?
P7
> Have you found any solution to this?

I find a workaround.  My bash script to build DrGeo image just remove
the content of the package-cache directory.
> In Gofer there was #disablePackageCache, in Metacello I don't know,
> maybe experimenting with MetacelloLoaderPolicy but there are no class
> comments.

I am now done with this problem, and I will not get back to it right now.
Thanks to ask and the suggestion, it could be useful to other.

I have other serious concern as the resulting size of the DrGeo image
built against P7, 43MB. I feel ashame to make any public DrGeo release
with such an important image size.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

Kjell Godo
i want it I’m going to get it if i can click download on it
     i don’t care about 43MB

is there an image stripper? ( Dolphin has an image stripper you can modify.
     after stripping the .exe file was about 6MB )

if this is 43MB of just DrGeo then i think it’s fine
     i don’t know what anybody else thinks and i don’t know much but
     it takes a few minutes to download
     at 1.5Mbits / second
     not really noticeable
     it has to be above 100MB at that speed to be noticeable
     in my opinion

so can i do differential geometry in DrGeo?
     like general relativity? that would be cool.
     can it do Tensors? i have this
          book : einstein gravity in a nutshell
          and i have always wanted a numerical graphical way to go through
          these equations in there
     i guess there is that numerical package i got, is there a tensor package?
     i tried to write a tensor thing once
     i tried to boil it down to the minimum number of lines of
          KEGGenerator code and that was like 10 or less
          to do a tensor multiply
          but i never tested it yet     Test first!

so i want to get DrGeo now and i don’t care about 43MB
     now or soon it’s not really possible right now
     usually it would be but i am out of my usual country

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 00:33 Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 18/01/2018 à 05:30, Hernán Morales Durand a écrit :
> Which Pharo version?
P7
> Have you found any solution to this?

I find a workaround.  My bash script to build DrGeo image just remove
the content of the package-cache directory.
> In Gofer there was #disablePackageCache, in Metacello I don't know,
> maybe experimenting with MetacelloLoaderPolicy but there are no class
> comments.

I am now done with this problem, and I will not get back to it right now.
Thanks to ask and the suggestion, it could be useful to other.

I have other serious concern as the resulting size of the DrGeo image
built against P7, 43MB. I feel ashame to make any public DrGeo release
with such an important image size.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

Kjell Godo
it’s those weight limits on the luggage they spook you
     they spooked me they spooked us
     but they are not really limits you just have to pay more
     but you don’t actually find that out until you get there
     or if you want to spend an hour on the phone asking about it
          well probably only 20 minutes actually
          but you have to know that you can ask this question
               that it is a valid question to ask
               which apparently we did not
     so i left something behind     Won’t do that again

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 02:45 Kjell Godo <[hidden email]> wrote:
i want it I’m going to get it if i can click download on it
     i don’t care about 43MB

is there an image stripper? ( Dolphin has an image stripper you can modify.
     after stripping the .exe file was about 6MB )

if this is 43MB of just DrGeo then i think it’s fine
     i don’t know what anybody else thinks and i don’t know much but
     it takes a few minutes to download
     at 1.5Mbits / second
     not really noticeable
     it has to be above 100MB at that speed to be noticeable
     in my opinion

so can i do differential geometry in DrGeo?
     like general relativity? that would be cool.
     can it do Tensors? i have this
          book : einstein gravity in a nutshell
          and i have always wanted a numerical graphical way to go through
          these equations in there
     i guess there is that numerical package i got, is there a tensor package?
     i tried to write a tensor thing once
     i tried to boil it down to the minimum number of lines of
          KEGGenerator code and that was like 10 or less
          to do a tensor multiply
          but i never tested it yet     Test first!

so i want to get DrGeo now and i don’t care about 43MB
     now or soon it’s not really possible right now
     usually it would be but i am out of my usual country

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 00:33 Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 18/01/2018 à 05:30, Hernán Morales Durand a écrit :
> Which Pharo version?
P7
> Have you found any solution to this?

I find a workaround.  My bash script to build DrGeo image just remove
the content of the package-cache directory.
> In Gofer there was #disablePackageCache, in Metacello I don't know,
> maybe experimenting with MetacelloLoaderPolicy but there are no class
> comments.

I am now done with this problem, and I will not get back to it right now.
Thanks to ask and the suggestion, it could be useful to other.

I have other serious concern as the resulting size of the DrGeo image
built against P7, 43MB. I feel ashame to make any public DrGeo release
with such an important image size.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

Tudor Girba-2
Should we not block this account? It looks generated … although it is quite scary how not easy it is to not figure this out.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

HilaireFernandes
Indeed it is scary... but it's still non sense.

Le 18/01/2018 à 12:08, Tudor Girba a écrit :
> Should we not block this account? It looks generated … although it is quite scary how not easy it is to not figure this out.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

Marcus Denker-4
yes, I will do that. I definitely is a bot I think the same that posted nonsense to Discord and years ago already to this list.

        Marcus

> [...]
>> the content of the package-cache directory.
>>> In Gofer there was #disablePackageCache, in Metacello I don't know,
>>> maybe experimenting with MetacelloLoaderPolicy but there are no class
>>> comments.
>>
>> I am now done with this problem, and I will not get back to it right now.
>> Thanks to ask and the suggestion, it could be useful to other.
>>
>> I have other serious concern as the resulting size of the DrGeo image
>> built against P7, 43MB. I feel ashame to make any public DrGeo release
>> with such an important image size.
>>
>> Hilaire
>>

>> --
>> Dr. Geo
>> http://drgeo.eu
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Peter Kenny
Are you sure it's a bot? Google the name - there is a real person living near Seattle, with an interest in Smalltalk. I think the same person posts on the Dolphin list using the name picoVerse. Granted the style is weird and it often doesn't seem to make sense, but it's a person.

Peter Kenny

> [...]

>> the content of the package-cache directory.
>>> In Gofer there was #disablePackageCache, in Metacello I don't know,
>>> maybe experimenting with MetacelloLoaderPolicy but there are no
>>> class comments.
>>
>> I am now done with this problem, and I will not get back to it right now.
>> Thanks to ask and the suggestion, it could be useful to other.
>>
>> I have other serious concern as the resulting size of the DrGeo image
>> built against P7, 43MB. I feel ashame to make any public DrGeo
>> release with such an important image size.
>>
>> Hilaire
>>

>> --
>> Dr. Geo
>> http://drgeo.eu
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Honestly there is some “minimal level of conduct” that people need to follow.

Something named picoVerse has spammed like this in the past and was kicked out, too.

        Marcus

> On 18 Jan 2018, at 14:58, PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Are you sure it's a bot? Google the name - there is a real person living near Seattle, with an interest in Smalltalk. I think the same person posts on the Dolphin list using the name picoVerse. Granted the style is weird and it often doesn't seem to make sense, but it's a person.
>
> Peter Kenny

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Peter Kenny wrote
> Are you sure it's a bot? Google the name - there is a real person living
> near Seattle, with an interest in Smalltalk.

I browsed some other posts from this account to the lists on Nabble. They
were more obviously on topic. Also, I met Kjell at a Smalltalk conference or
two. My experience was that he speaks from a meta level and you have to
connect the dots yourself, which can be difficult to follow. IMHO he should
not be banned.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

Dale Henrichs-3
Hilaire,

Metacello just uses Monticello for loading and it is Monticello that is
using the package-cache ... if there were a way to turn of the
package-cache for Monticello I don't think that Metacello would know the
difference.

But, I am curious why you care whether or not package is used?

Is there a specific problem that you are having?

Dale

On 1/17/18 8:30 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Hi Hilaire,
>
> Which Pharo version?
> Have you found any solution to this?
> In Gofer there was #disablePackageCache, in Metacello I don't know,
> maybe experimenting with MetacelloLoaderPolicy but there are no class
> comments.
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán

>> If understood correctly, when using a tonel file repository to build up an
>> image, Pharo seems instead to take the sources from some package-cache,
>> which is out of sync, because the tonel file repo was updated from another
>> image, with a different cache. I guess I can trick the file system but it is
>> for the least very annoying, for the worst unreliable.
>>

>> Le 10/12/2017 à 18:16, Hilaire a écrit :
>>> I am using tonel format to install from and save to a local repository.
>>>
>>> How to prevent Monticello/Configuration/Metacello to save packages to the
>>> image package-cache dir?
>>>
>>> Even when installing from a configuration with repo on tonel file format,
>>> packages get created in the image package-cache directory.
>>>
>>> I have read there and there, Pharo gets confused and uses wrongly the
>>> package-cache versions and not the local repo.
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Geo
>> http://drgeo.eu

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

HilaireFernandes

Ok, the scary part get out then.

According to what I understood, here three things  for Kjell regarding his interest on DrGeo:

1) Get my latest DrGeo build[1]. The shipped VM within the application is out of sync, therefore a recent 32Bits VM should be used against the image located in DrGeo.app/Contets/Resources/drgeo.image

2) Concerning differential geometric, I don't know much. However DrGeo can be programmatically drived, particularly point defined by bloc can be useful to produce interactive graph with point interacting in cascade. See this Newton-Raphson example[2]

Dr. Geo on
      Netwo-Raphson method

3) There is doc for programming DrGeo but the English version is a bit out of sync, http://www.drgeo.eu/help

Hilaire

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/wc18e21p371z28f/DrGeo.app-18.01a.zip?dl=0

[2] https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/726369/when-does-the-newton-raphson-method-fail/1766666#1766666

Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

HilaireFernandes
It was a month ago; I don't remember the details but from what I can
recover from my memory the scenario was:

- From my dev. environment I saved code through Tonel, in the DrGeo used
CVS.

- When building, I specifically ask the code saved thought Tonel to be
installed but the package-cache code version was used instead. It could
be out of sync.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

Dale Henrichs-3

Hilaire,

Have you included a method in your BaselineOf that looks like this:

projectClass

    ^ MetacelloCypressBaselineProject

if not, then what looks like a package-cache problem could be that you haven't told Metacello that you are using a metadataless filetree/tonel repository.

Metacello has an internal rule to not load Monticello packages of the same version, since they are already loaded. However, when using metadataless repositories the filetree/tonel Monticello package readers typically generate a package name using the author/version `-cypress.1`, which make Metacello think that the versions are the same and the package is not loaded ... by including the above method in your baselineof, Metacello will know to ignore the Monticello author/version of the package and always load it....

Of course, because Monticello only installs changed definitions when loading a package, "loading the same package over and over again" costs a little bit in loading the _definitions_ into the image from disk, but doesn't end up compiling any new methods or creating new classes ...

Dale

On 1/18/18 6:49 AM, Hilaire wrote:
It was a month ago; I don't remember the details but from what I can recover from my memory the scenario was:

- From my dev. environment I saved code through Tonel, in the DrGeo used CVS.

- When building, I specifically ask the code saved thought Tonel to be installed but the package-cache code version was used instead. It could be out of sync.

Le 18/01/2018 à 15:22, Dale Henrichs a écrit :
Hilaire,

Metacello just uses Monticello for loading and it is Monticello that is using the package-cache ... if there were a way to turn of the package-cache for Monticello I don't think that Metacello would know the difference.

But, I am curious why you care whether or not package is used?

Is there a specific problem that you are having?

Dale

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

Ben Coman
On 18 January 2018 at 22:06, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Peter Kenny wrote
>> Are you sure it's a bot? Google the name - there is a real person living
>> near Seattle, with an interest in Smalltalk.
>
> I browsed some other posts from this account to the lists on Nabble. They
> were more obviously on topic. Also, I met [him] at a Smalltalk conference or
> two. My experience was that he speaks from a meta level and you have to
> connect the dots yourself, which can be difficult to follow. IMHO he should
> not be banned.

I also browsed his history of posts.  Their presentation is often
strangely formatted
and there seems a strange mix of on-topic posts certainly human generated**
and off-topic posts that are distinctly bot-like.  Its almost like
there is a poetry virus
riding on his email client.   Now in either case regardless whether
the latter posts
are human or bot generated, they are distracting and not appropriate
for the list.

The appropriate action would raise these concerns (done) while
avoiding easy context triggers
and judge the nature of the public response, or private response to
the one who raised the original concern.

cheers -ben

**or generated by a manifestation of the singularity, with whom we
should maintain a positive working relationship.

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

HilaireFernandes
Hi Dale,

Sorry to reply very lately to your help email, I am getting slow on
Pharo those those days.

I am afraid to be a bit out of sync: what is a BaselineOf? I only have a
ConfigurationOfDrGeo and baseline methods into.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hilaire

A BaselineOf is the equivalent in better to a  ConifgurationOf
The key benefit is that you just specify a kind of ConfigurationOf
baseline and you are done
No need to express manually versions.

With a baseline you can get branches, a specific hash....
So you have all the power but with less burden.

Side: I do not like the git API but I coding with git and the branches
are really really nice.
You can have multiple versions
     - release
     - dev
      - dev + a features and simply manage it

So git is really a plus
With Iceberg 20, you will also be able to manage external ressources
(icons, text...)
and this is cool

Stef

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: unsolicited package-cache use

HilaireFernandes
My needs are simple, but still I don't understand what I should do from
my ConfigurationOfDrGeo

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu