[update 1.1] #11038

Marcus Denker-3
11038
-----

Issue 1254: Morph extension speedup

Speed up Morphic. Thanks, Gary! and everyone taking part in the discussion.

Note: some packages are dirty after this update (loaded the changeset by hand).
This will be fixed in the next update.

        Marcus

Re: [update 1.1] #11038

Gary Chambers-4
Glad I could help. Worth monitoring the use of the otherProperties
dictionary from time to time to see if further benefit can be achieved.

Regards, Gary

> Speed up Morphic. Thanks, Gary! and everyone taking part in the
> discussion.
>
> Note: some packages are dirty after this update (loaded the changeset by
> hand).
> This will be fixed in the next update.
>
> Marcus

Re: [update 1.1] #11038

excellent!
speed speed speed :)

Stef

On Nov 10, 2009, at 4:04 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> 11038
> -----
>
> Issue 1254: Morph extension speedup
>
> Speed up Morphic. Thanks, Gary! and everyone taking part in the discussion.
>
> Note: some packages are dirty after this update (loaded the changeset by hand).
> This will be fixed in the next update.
>
> Marcus

Re: [update 1.1] #11038

Marcus Denker-3

On Nov 10, 2009, at 6:24 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> excellent!
> speed speed speed :)

On my system, the browser-benchmark is 17% faster for the Core image after loading the update.

Not bad.

        Marcus

Re: [update 1.1] #11038

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Nov 10, 2009, at 6:24 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> excellent!
> speed speed speed :)

On my system, the browser-benchmark is 17% faster for the Core image after loading the update.

Sorry, but which browser? (systembrowser? packageAdaptor?) which benchmark did you try ?  any code to test?

Best

Mariano

Not bad.

       Marcus

Re: [update 1.1] #11038

Marcus Denker-3

On Nov 10, 2009, at 6:33 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Nov 10, 2009, at 6:24 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> excellent!
> speed speed speed :)

On my system, the browser-benchmark is 17% faster for the Core image after loading the update.

Sorry, but which browser? (systembrowser? packageAdaptor?) which benchmark did you try ?  any code to test?

this is the benchmark code:

| saveMorphs time |
[saveMorphs := World submorphs.
World removeAllMorphs."heh, heh"
time := [1 to: 10 do: [:i |
MorphicToolBuilder new open:
         (Browser new setClass: SystemDictionary selector: nil).
World doOneCycleNow].
World submorphs do: [:m | m delete. World doOneCycleNow].
] timeToRun] ensure:[World addAllMorphs: saveMorphs].
SystemWindow noteTopWindowIn: World.
time

Re: [update 1.1] #11038

Gary Chambers-4
Note that similar performance improvements should be seen across the board in general usage though.

Regards, Gary