[update 1.1] #11147

Marcus Denker-4
11147
-----

Issue 1761: Unloadable-reloadable Services-Base + DeprecatedPreferences packages (part 1 - 3)

... some packages are dirty. This will be fixed next, together with part 4 and a cleanup of packages that
are defined wrongly.

        Marcus

#11147 update breaks 1.1 dev image

Martin McClure-2
Marcus Denker wrote:
> 11147
> -----
>
> Issue 1761: Unloadable-reloadable Services-Base + DeprecatedPreferences packages (part 1 - 3)
>
> ... some packages are dirty. This will be fixed next, together with part 4 and a cleanup of packages that
> are defined wrongly.

When trying to update the latest downloaded 1.1-dev image (11112) it
reaks on 11147 with MNU: AnObsoletePreferences class>>doesNotUnderstand:
#preferenceAt:ifAbsent:

And then the debugger can't be opened, because of similar DNUs.

Maybe this isn't supposed to work, that the update stream is only to
update core images, not dev?

If so, I could use the instructions on how to make a 1.1 dev image from
a core. I think the Metacello process for this is still 1.0 only?

Regards,

-Martin

Re: #11147 update breaks 1.1 dev image

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Martin McClure <[hidden email]> wrote:
Marcus Denker wrote:
> 11147
> -----
>
> Issue 1761:   Unloadable-reloadable Services-Base + DeprecatedPreferences packages (part 1 - 3)
>
> ... some packages are dirty. This will be fixed next, together with part 4 and a cleanup of packages that
> are defined wrongly.

When trying to update the latest downloaded 1.1-dev image (11112) it
reaks on 11147 with MNU: AnObsoletePreferences class>>doesNotUnderstand:
#preferenceAt:ifAbsent:

We are discussing exactly this in another thread. Would be cool to have your opinion there.

And then the debugger can't be opened, because of similar DNUs.

Maybe this isn't supposed to work, that the update stream is only to
update core images, not dev?

Not, it is not supposed to work always. And yes, is ONLY for core.

If so, I could use the instructions on how to make a 1.1 dev image from
a core. I think the Metacello process for this is still 1.0 only?

My question is, do you really need a dev 1.1 image?  It was removed from the website as most of the tools are not working yet in 1.1.

Why you cannot use 1.0 dev ?

Thanks

mariano

Regards,

-Martin

Re: #11147 update breaks 1.1 dev image

Alain Plantec-4
Martin McClure a écrit :

> Marcus Denker wrote:
>
>> 11147
>> -----
>>
>> Issue 1761: Unloadable-reloadable Services-Base + DeprecatedPreferences packages (part 1 - 3)
>>
>> ... some packages are dirty. This will be fixed next, together with part 4 and a cleanup of packages that
>> are defined wrongly.
>>

> When trying to update the latest downloaded 1.1-dev image (11112) it
> reaks on 11147 with MNU: AnObsoletePreferences class>>doesNotUnderstand:
> #preferenceAt:ifAbsent:

yes, the update is incomplete (need for part 4 which reintegrates
Preferences that is needed for pharo-dev)
> And then the debugger can't be opened, because of similar DNUs.

thanks for reporting, I will check.
Cheers
Alain

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Alain Plantec <[hidden email]> wrote:
Martin McClure a écrit :
> Marcus Denker wrote:
>
>> 11147
>> -----
>>
>> Issue 1761:  Unloadable-reloadable Services-Base + DeprecatedPreferences packages (part 1 - 3)
>>
>> ... some packages are dirty. This will be fixed next, together with part 4 and a cleanup of packages that
>> are defined wrongly.
>>

> When trying to update the latest downloaded 1.1-dev image (11112) it
> reaks on 11147 with MNU: AnObsoletePreferences class>>doesNotUnderstand:
> #preferenceAt:ifAbsent:

yes, the update is incomplete (need for part 4 which reintegrates
Preferences that is needed for pharo-dev)

I wouldn spare to much time in Dev 1.1 images. That's why we remove them from the website. They are very unstable because , of course, the tools are now working yet on it.

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> My question is, do you really need a dev 1.1 image?  It was removed from
> the website as most of the tools are not working yet in 1.1.
>
> Why you cannot use 1.0 dev ?

I'm working on the hashed collection speedup, which I believe is only to
be integrated into 1.1. And the affected code has changed in 1.1, and
some of the code affected is not in the core, so I wanted to use an
up-to-date dev image.

But I guess I should just do a version for the 1.1 core, and each
additional package that would be affected can be updated independently
later.

Thanks for the info,

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Martin McClure <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> My question is, do you really need a dev 1.1 image?  It was removed from
> the website as most of the tools are not working yet in 1.1.
>
> Why you cannot use 1.0 dev ?

I'm working on the hashed collection speedup, which I believe is only to
be integrated into 1.1. And the affected code has changed in 1.1, and
some of the code affected is not in the core, so I wanted to use an
up-to-date dev image.

Let me see if I understood. There is some code that will be affected, not only for the core but also from external packages ?

If this is correct, I will wait a bit until 1.0 is released, the tools are working in 1.1 and we start to build 1.1 Dev images.

But I guess I should just do a version for the 1.1 core, and each
additional package that would be affected can be updated independently
later.

Yes, I guess. The other laternative is to try each Metacello configuration for each package and see if they work. Maybe I don't know, you want OCompletion, and that is working. So, giving a try is very easy. To look the current Metacello configurations, you can look in http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository

However, I really don't know even if Metacello is working in 1.1 images.

Cheers

Mariano

Alain Plantec a écrit :

> Martin McClure a écrit :
>> Marcus Denker wrote:
>>
>>> 11147
>>> -----
>>>
>>> Issue 1761:    Unloadable-reloadable Services-Base +
>>> DeprecatedPreferences packages (part 1 - 3)
>>>
>>> ... some packages are dirty. This will be fixed next, together with
>>> part 4 and a cleanup of packages that
>>> are defined wrongly.
>>>

>> When trying to update the latest downloaded 1.1-dev image (11112) it
>> reaks on 11147 with MNU: AnObsoletePreferences class>>doesNotUnderstand:
>> #preferenceAt:ifAbsent:
>>
> yes, the update is incomplete (need for part 4 which reintegrates
> Preferences that is needed for pharo-dev)
you need to wait for a completely rebuilt pharo-dev distribution.
Then it should be ok, at least regarding the Preference problem.
Cheers
Alain

Alain Plantec wrote:

> Alain Plantec a écrit :
>> Martin McClure a écrit :

>>> When trying to update the latest downloaded 1.1-dev image (11112) it
>>> reaks on 11147 with MNU: AnObsoletePreferences class>>doesNotUnderstand:
>>> #preferenceAt:ifAbsent:
>>>
>> yes, the update is incomplete (need for part 4 which reintegrates
>> Preferences that is needed for pharo-dev)
> you need to wait for a completely rebuilt pharo-dev distribution.
> Then it should be ok, at least regarding the Preference problem.

OK, thanks. After finding that I can't even successfully edit code in a
browser in 1.1 core (the cursor does not appear in the right place) I'm
reverting to 1.0 for now.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: #11147 update breaks 1.1 dev image

Stéphane Ducasse
Martin may be you work with the published version before 1.1-11147. Because this one should be stable at least I used it
without any problem.

Removing preferences was like an earthquake :)
If we cannot edit text we will be in trouble :)
should be fixed soon.

Stef