[update 1.1] #11194

Stéphane Ducasse
11194
-----

- Issue 1936: background morph for the world that resizes with the main window.
- Issue 1919: SystemWindow >> activate, to avoid sending #addPaneSplitters if the window isCollapsed
-  Issue 1932: UTF8TextConverter ??
                Latin1TextConverter initializeLatin1Encodings.
                MacRomanTextConverter initializeLatin1Encodings. thanks nicolas/henrik

Re: [update 1.1] #11194

Yanni Chiu
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> -  Issue 1932: UTF8TextConverter ??
> Latin1TextConverter initializeLatin1Encodings.
> MacRomanTextConverter initializeLatin1Encodings. thanks nicolas/henrik

I still see the same/similar problem.

Try this code in a PharoCore-1.1-11184-UNSTABLE image:

| latin1 utf8 |
index := 127.
latin1 := String with: (Character value: index).
utf8 := latin1 convertToWithConverter: UTF8TextConverter new.

It works. Then try it with the lastest updates loaded. You should get an
emergency evaluator.

I changed:

ByteString class>>initialize
        "ByteString initialize"
        | latin1 utf8 |
        NonAsciiMap := ByteArray new: 256.

        1 to: 256 do:[:i|
                i <= 128 ifTrue:[
                        NonAsciiMap at: i put: 0. "valid ascii subset"
                ] ifFalse:[
                        NonAsciiMap at: i put: 1. "extended charset"

                ].
        ].

Notice the "i <= 128" vs. "i < 128". That fixes it, but now the concept
of NonAsciiMap is wrong. I'm not sure what the final fix should be.

--
Yanni

Re: [update 1.1] #11194

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks for the feedback

stef

On Feb 5, 2010, at 6:05 PM, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> -  Issue 1932: UTF8TextConverter ??
>> Latin1TextConverter initializeLatin1Encodings.
>> MacRomanTextConverter initializeLatin1Encodings. thanks nicolas/henrik
>
> I still see the same/similar problem.
>
> Try this code in a PharoCore-1.1-11184-UNSTABLE image:
>
> | latin1 utf8 |
> index := 127.
> latin1 := String with: (Character value: index).
> utf8 := latin1 convertToWithConverter: UTF8TextConverter new.
>
> It works. Then try it with the lastest updates loaded. You should get an
> emergency evaluator.
>
> I changed:
>
> ByteString class>>initialize
> "ByteString initialize"
> | latin1 utf8 |
> NonAsciiMap := ByteArray new: 256.
>
> 1 to: 256 do:[:i|
> i <= 128 ifTrue:[
> NonAsciiMap at: i put: 0. "valid ascii subset"
> ] ifFalse:[
> NonAsciiMap at: i put: 1. "extended charset"
>
> ].
> ].
>
> Notice the "i <= 128" vs. "i < 128". That fixes it, but now the concept
> of NonAsciiMap is wrong. I'm not sure what the final fix should be.
>
> --
> Yanni

Re: [update 1.1] #11194

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 05.02.2010 18:05, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> -  Issue 1932: UTF8TextConverter ??
>> Latin1TextConverter initializeLatin1Encodings.
>> MacRomanTextConverter initializeLatin1Encodings. thanks nicolas/henrik
>>
> I still see the same/similar problem.
>
> Try this code in a PharoCore-1.1-11184-UNSTABLE image:
>
> | latin1 utf8 |
> index := 127.
> latin1 := String with: (Character value: index).
> utf8 := latin1 convertToWithConverter: UTF8TextConverter new.
>
> It works. Then try it with the lastest updates loaded. You should get an
> emergency evaluator.
>
> I changed:
>
> ByteString class>>initialize
> "ByteString initialize"
> | latin1 utf8 |
> NonAsciiMap := ByteArray new: 256.
>
> 1 to: 256 do:[:i|
> i<= 128 ifTrue:[
> NonAsciiMap at: i put: 0. "valid ascii subset"
> ] ifFalse:[
> NonAsciiMap at: i put: 1. "extended charset"
>
> ].
> ].
>
> Notice the "i<= 128" vs. "i<  128". That fixes it, but now the concept
> of NonAsciiMap is wrong. I'm not sure what the final fix should be.

No, that's me making an off-by-one error :S
The i <= 128 is correct.

Re: [update 1.1] #11194

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 05.02.2010 18:19, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> On 05.02.2010 18:05, Yanni Chiu wrote:
>
>> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>

>>> -  Issue 1932: UTF8TextConverter ??
>>> Latin1TextConverter initializeLatin1Encodings.
>>> MacRomanTextConverter initializeLatin1Encodings. thanks nicolas/henrik
>>>

>> I still see the same/similar problem.
>>
>> Try this code in a PharoCore-1.1-11184-UNSTABLE image:
>>
>> | latin1 utf8 |
>> index := 127.
>> latin1 := String with: (Character value: index).
>> utf8 := latin1 convertToWithConverter: UTF8TextConverter new.
>>
>> It works. Then try it with the lastest updates loaded. You should get an
>> emergency evaluator.
>>
>> I changed:
>>
>> ByteString class>>initialize
>> "ByteString initialize"
>> | latin1 utf8 |
>> NonAsciiMap := ByteArray new: 256.
>>
>> 1 to: 256 do:[:i|
>> i<= 128 ifTrue:[
>> NonAsciiMap at: i put: 0. "valid ascii subset"
>> ] ifFalse:[
>> NonAsciiMap at: i put: 1. "extended charset"
>>
>> ].
>> ].
>>
>> Notice the "i<= 128" vs. "i<   128". That fixes it, but now the concept
>> of NonAsciiMap is wrong. I'm not sure what the final fix should be.
>>

> No, that's me making an off-by-one error :S
> The i<= 128 is correct.

For that matter, TextConverter initializeLatin1MapAndEncodings should
probably be reverted as well.
My mind glitched thinking they were the same (which they are for the
case I was looking at, with UTF8), but they're only related.
(I.e. some encodings may or may not have the same mapping as latin1, as
the old initialize method took care to check...)

Cheers,
Henry

Re: [update 1.1] #11194

Stéphane Ducasse
Low stress :)

Just publish a slice and it will be fixed.
I like alpha/unstable/cutting edge just because we are allowed to break the system :)

> For that matter, TextConverter initializeLatin1MapAndEncodings should
> probably be reverted as well.
> My mind glitched thinking they were the same (which they are for the
> case I was looking at, with UTF8), but they're only related.
> (I.e. some encodings may or may not have the same mapping as latin1, as
> the old initialize method took care to check...)
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

Re: [update 1.1] #11194

Yanni Chiu
Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

>> i<= 128 ifTrue:[
>> NonAsciiMap at: i put: 0. "valid ascii subset"
>> ] ifFalse:[
>> NonAsciiMap at: i put: 1. "extended charset"
>>
>> ].
>> ].
>>
>> Notice the "i<= 128" vs. "i<  128". That fixes it, but now the concept
>> of NonAsciiMap is wrong. I'm not sure what the final fix should be.
>>

> No, that's me making an off-by-one error :S
> The i <= 128 is correct.

Then the comments are misleading, because 128 is in the extended charset.

Re: [update 1.1] #11194

Yanni Chiu
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Low stress :)
>
> Just publish a slice and it will be fixed.
> I like alpha/unstable/cutting edge just because we are allowed to break the system :)

Yep, breaking the system is okay for now. I just set up my build to
track the updates so I could get a heads-up on possible 1.1 issues,
while developing on 1.0.

Re: [update 1.1] #11194

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 05.02.2010 20:01, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:
>
>>> i<= 128 ifTrue:[
>>> NonAsciiMap at: i put: 0. "valid ascii subset"
>>> ] ifFalse:[
>>> NonAsciiMap at: i put: 1. "extended charset"
>>>
>>> ].
>>> ].
>>>
>>> Notice the "i<= 128" vs. "i<   128". That fixes it, but now the concept
>>> of NonAsciiMap is wrong. I'm not sure what the final fix should be.
>>>

>> No, that's me making an off-by-one error :S
>> The i<= 128 is correct.
>>
> Then the comments are misleading, because 128 is in the extended charset.

Yes, but arrays in smalltalk start on index 1 instead of 0. So the map
has char 0 at index 1, and char 127 at index 128.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: [update 1.1] #11194

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 05.02.2010 20:11, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Low stress :)
>>
>> Just publish a slice and it will be fixed.
>> I like alpha/unstable/cutting edge just because we are allowed to break the system :)
>>
> Yep, breaking the system is okay for now. I just set up my build to
> track the updates so I could get a heads-up on possible 1.1 issues,
> while developing on 1.0.

And a good thing that is :D

In SLICE-OffByOneAndConverterRevert
(Remember to apply the postscript)

Cheers,
Henry

Re: [update 1.1] #11194

On Feb 5, 2010, at 8:11 PM, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Low stress :)
>>
>> Just publish a slice and it will be fixed.
>> I like alpha/unstable/cutting edge just because we are allowed to break the system :)
>
> Yep, breaking the system is okay for now. I just set up my build to
> track the updates so I could get a heads-up on possible 1.1 issues,
> while developing on 1.0.

Excellent I appreciate this effort because it really helps us.

Re: [update 1.1] #11194

I'm leaving to spain so if my wife sees that I reply to email I'm dead :)
so no integration from my side this evening....

packing packing