[update 1.1] #11255

Stéphane Ducasse
11255
-----

- added tests for the compiler to test shadowing of self, super, thisContext, true, false and nil. Thanks guys - we know you :)

- Issue 2086: Introduce a cleanUp/cleanUp: protocol from squeak / keith idea!
        MyClass class>>cleanUp: aggressive
        This (class-side) method is called with an argument that indicates whether to do aggressive, i.e., potentially destructive cleanup. Doing aggressive cleanup will delete projects, change sets, uni-classes and more. Gentle cleanup is expected to only flush transient caches. If your class only has gentle cleanup you can simply implement

       MyClass class>>cleanUp

By default #cleanUp: delegates to this method (similar to startUp/startUp: and shutDown/shutDown:). You can
run cleanup by executing:

       Smalltalk cleanUp.
       Smalltalk cleanUp: true.

Thanks luc for your analysis. After lunch in hot room is never that good for my brain :)

Re: [update 1.1] #11255

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
11255
-----

- added tests for the compiler to test shadowing of self, super, thisContext, true, false and nil. Thanks guys - we know you :)

- Issue 2086:   Introduce a cleanUp/cleanUp: protocol from squeak / keith idea!
       MyClass class>>cleanUp: aggressive
       This (class-side) method is called with an argument that indicates whether to do aggressive, i.e., potentially destructive cleanup. Doing aggressive cleanup will delete projects, change sets, uni-classes and more. Gentle cleanup is expected to only flush transient caches. If your class only has gentle cleanup you can simply implement

      MyClass class>>cleanUp

By default #cleanUp: delegates to this method (similar to startUp/startUp: and shutDown/shutDown:). You can
run cleanup by executing:

      Smalltalk cleanUp.
      Smalltalk cleanUp: true.

It seems there is a problem as cleanUp or cleanUp:  are implemented in SmalltalkImage  but not in SystemDictionary...so evaluating

      Smalltalk cleanUp.
      Smalltalk cleanUp: true.

gives a DNU.

Another question....wouldn't be a good idea to add at least a  "Smalltalk cleanUp. "  in ScriptLoader >> cleanUpForRelease   ???  or similar....

Cheers

Mraiano

Thanks luc for your analysis. After lunch in hot room is never that good for my brain :)

Re: [update 1.1] #11255

Nicolas Cellier
2010/3/9 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 11255
>> -----
>>
>> - added tests for the compiler to test shadowing of self, super,
>> thisContext, true, false and nil. Thanks guys - we know you :)
>>
>> - Issue 2086:   Introduce a cleanUp/cleanUp: protocol from squeak / keith
>> idea!
>>        MyClass class>>cleanUp: aggressive
>>        This (class-side) method is called with an argument that indicates
>> whether to do aggressive, i.e., potentially destructive cleanup. Doing
>> aggressive cleanup will delete projects, change sets, uni-classes and more.
>> Gentle cleanup is expected to only flush transient caches. If your class
>> only has gentle cleanup you can simply implement
>>
>>       MyClass class>>cleanUp
>>
>> By default #cleanUp: delegates to this method (similar to startUp/startUp:
>> and shutDown/shutDown:). You can
>> run cleanup by executing:
>>
>>       Smalltalk cleanUp.
>>       Smalltalk cleanUp: true.
>>

> It seems there is a problem as cleanUp or cleanUp:  are implemented in
> SmalltalkImage  but not in SystemDictionary...so evaluating
>
>       Smalltalk cleanUp.
>       Smalltalk cleanUp: true.
>
> gives a DNU.

Yep, in trunk Smalltalk class = SmalltalkImage, so it just works
Maybe pharo want this change too ?

Nicolas

> Another question....wouldn't be a good idea to add at least a  "Smalltalk
> cleanUp. "  in ScriptLoader >> cleanUpForRelease   ???  or similar....
>
> Cheers
>
> Mraiano
>

>> Thanks luc for your analysis. After lunch in hot room is never that good
>> for my brain :)
>>

>> Stef

Re: [update 1.1] #11255

Igor Stasenko
On 10 March 2010 00:58, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/3/9 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> 11255
>>> -----
>>>
>>> - added tests for the compiler to test shadowing of self, super,
>>> thisContext, true, false and nil. Thanks guys - we know you :)
>>>
>>> - Issue 2086:   Introduce a cleanUp/cleanUp: protocol from squeak / keith
>>> idea!
>>>        MyClass class>>cleanUp: aggressive
>>>        This (class-side) method is called with an argument that indicates
>>> whether to do aggressive, i.e., potentially destructive cleanup. Doing
>>> aggressive cleanup will delete projects, change sets, uni-classes and more.
>>> Gentle cleanup is expected to only flush transient caches. If your class
>>> only has gentle cleanup you can simply implement
>>>
>>>       MyClass class>>cleanUp
>>>
>>> By default #cleanUp: delegates to this method (similar to startUp/startUp:
>>> and shutDown/shutDown:). You can
>>> run cleanup by executing:
>>>
>>>       Smalltalk cleanUp.
>>>       Smalltalk cleanUp: true.
>>>

>> It seems there is a problem as cleanUp or cleanUp:  are implemented in
>> SmalltalkImage  but not in SystemDictionary...so evaluating
>>
>>       Smalltalk cleanUp.
>>       Smalltalk cleanUp: true.
>>
>> gives a DNU.
>>

> Yep, in trunk Smalltalk class = SmalltalkImage, so it just works
> Maybe pharo want this change too ?

I think this would be great.

> Nicolas
>
>> Another question....wouldn't be a good idea to add at least a  "Smalltalk
>> cleanUp. "  in ScriptLoader >> cleanUpForRelease   ???  or similar....
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mraiano
>>

>>> Thanks luc for your analysis. After lunch in hot room is never that good
>>> for my brain :)
>>>

>>> Stef

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [update 1.1] #11255

Miguel Cobá
El mar, 09-03-2010 a las 22:40 +0100, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

> 11255
> -----
>
> - added tests for the compiler to test shadowing of self, super, thisContext, true, false and nil. Thanks guys - we know you :)
>
> - Issue 2086: Introduce a cleanUp/cleanUp: protocol from squeak / keith idea!
> MyClass class>>cleanUp: aggressive
> This (class-side) method is called with an argument that indicates whether to do aggressive, i.e., potentially destructive cleanup. Doing aggressive cleanup will delete projects, change sets, uni-classes and more. Gentle cleanup is expected to only flush transient caches. If your class only has gentle cleanup you can simply implement
>
>        MyClass class>>cleanUp
>
> By default #cleanUp: delegates to this method (similar to startUp/startUp: and shutDown/shutDown:). You can
> run cleanup by executing:
>
>        Smalltalk cleanUp.
>        Smalltalk cleanUp: true.
>
> Thanks luc for your analysis. After lunch in hot room is never that good for my brain :)

Cool, very good. Good to see this implemented at least.
Can we then close:

as it appears to me that this solves it.

Cheers
--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [update 1.1] #11255

This is on purpose :)

We plan to have
        Smalltalk -> SmalltalkImage current soon (after all the years I have been waiting for it to happen this is good to see it happening in squeak
        It was not top priority for pharo but on the huge todo so now we will do it).

Stef

>        MyClass class>>cleanUp: aggressive
>        This (class-side) method is called with an argument that indicates whether to do aggressive, i.e., potentially destructive cleanup. Doing aggressive cleanup will delete projects, change sets, uni-classes and more. Gentle cleanup is expected to only flush transient caches. If your class only has gentle cleanup you can simply implement
>
>       MyClass class>>cleanUp
>
> By default #cleanUp: delegates to this method (similar to startUp/startUp: and shutDown/shutDown:). You can
> run cleanup by executing:
>
>       Smalltalk cleanUp.
>       Smalltalk cleanUp: true.
>

> It seems there is a problem as cleanUp or cleanUp:  are implemented in SmalltalkImage  but not in SystemDictionary...so evaluating
>
>       Smalltalk cleanUp.
>       Smalltalk cleanUp: true.
>
> gives a DNU.
>
> Another question....wouldn't be a good idea to add at least a  "Smalltalk cleanUp. "  in ScriptLoader >> cleanUpForRelease   ???  or similar....
>
> Cheers
>
> Mraiano
>

> Thanks luc for your analysis. After lunch in hot room is never that good for my brain :)
>

> Stef

Re: [update 1.1] #11255

yeap! Closed. This was since september that this was on my todo.

Miguel I added you as project committers

On Mar 10, 2010, at 12:53 AM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:

> El mar, 09-03-2010 a las 22:40 +0100, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
>> 11255
>> -----
>>
>> - added tests for the compiler to test shadowing of self, super, thisContext, true, false and nil. Thanks guys - we know you :)
>>
>> - Issue 2086: Introduce a cleanUp/cleanUp: protocol from squeak / keith idea!
>> MyClass class>>cleanUp: aggressive
>> This (class-side) method is called with an argument that indicates whether to do aggressive, i.e., potentially destructive cleanup. Doing aggressive cleanup will delete projects, change sets, uni-classes and more. Gentle cleanup is expected to only flush transient caches. If your class only has gentle cleanup you can simply implement
>>
>>       MyClass class>>cleanUp
>>
>> By default #cleanUp: delegates to this method (similar to startUp/startUp: and shutDown/shutDown:). You can
>> run cleanup by executing:
>>
>>       Smalltalk cleanUp.
>>       Smalltalk cleanUp: true.
>>
>> Thanks luc for your analysis. After lunch in hot room is never that good for my brain :)
>>

> Cool, very good. Good to see this implemented at least.
> Can we then close:

> as it appears to me that this solves it.
>
> Cheers
> --
> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [update 1.1] #11255

Adrian Lienhard
>> It seems there is a problem as cleanUp or cleanUp:  are implemented in
> SmalltalkImage  but not in SystemDictionary...so evaluating
>
>      Smalltalk cleanUp.
>      Smalltalk cleanUp: true.
>
> gives a DNU.
>
> Another question....wouldn't be a good idea to add at least a  "Smalltalk
> cleanUp. "  in ScriptLoader >> cleanUpForRelease   ???  or similar....

Yes. And when we adopt the cleanUp protocol, the stuff in cleanUpForRelease should be moved into the appropriate classes.

Cheers,
Adrian

Re: [update 1.1] #11255

Mariano Martinez Peck

El mié, 10-03-2010 a las 08:41 +0100, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
> yeap! Closed. This was since september that this was on my todo.
>
> Miguel I added you as project committers

Thanks :)

> On Mar 10, 2010, at 12:53 AM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:
>
> > El mar, 09-03-2010 a las 22:40 +0100, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
> >> 11255
> >> -----
> >>
> >> - added tests for the compiler to test shadowing of self, super, thisContext, true, false and nil. Thanks guys - we know you :)
> >>
> >> - Issue 2086: Introduce a cleanUp/cleanUp: protocol from squeak / keith idea!
> >> MyClass class>>cleanUp: aggressive
> >> This (class-side) method is called with an argument that indicates whether to do aggressive, i.e., potentially destructive cleanup. Doing aggressive cleanup will delete projects, change sets, uni-classes and more. Gentle cleanup is expected to only flush transient caches. If your class only has gentle cleanup you can simply implement
> >>
> >>       MyClass class>>cleanUp
> >>
> >> By default #cleanUp: delegates to this method (similar to startUp/startUp: and shutDown/shutDown:). You can
> >> run cleanup by executing:
> >>
> >>       Smalltalk cleanUp.
> >>       Smalltalk cleanUp: true.
> >>
> >> Thanks luc for your analysis. After lunch in hot room is never that good for my brain :)
> >>

> > Cool, very good. Good to see this implemented at least.
> > Can we then close:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1778
> >
> > as it appears to me that this solves it.
> >
> > Cheers
> > --
> > Miguel Cobá
> > http://miguel.leugim.com.mx