[update 1.2] #12297

12

Re: [update 1.2] #12297

Igor Stasenko
here is updated version of it.
more consistent colors
(note the ">" button now not highlighted by default,
also added thin border for lists
and thin border for system windows,
and removed 1pixel-wide shadow for system window.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

GLMOrangeUITheme.st (7K) Download Attachment
GLMOrangeUITheme.png (44K) Download Attachment

Re: [update 1.2] #12297

Tudor Girba
That is a good point. I actually used the Sim Daltonism application (for Mac) to check the color blindness issues, but it looks like I overlooked Monochromacy (however, this is pretty rare). I will try to look into that.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that happen. They both matter."

Re: [update 1.2] #12297

Tudor Girba
I like the simple border around the windows. I adopted it in the Glamorous Theme :)

Cheers,
Doru

On 13 January 2011 23:09, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like the simple border around the windows. I adopted it in the Glamorous Theme :)

btw, i suggest you to fix all the places to use theme settings instead
of direct colors,
so your theme settings could be changed from Settings UI
For example:

glamorousBaseSelectionColorFor: aButton
        ^ settings selectionColor

instead of:

glamorousBaseSelectionColorFor: aButton
        ^ self class baseSelectionColor

and by changing 'Selection color' in settings, i can change Orange->Blue :)

Btw, there is a bug in Polymorph, it ignores the 'Find replace
selection color' setting
There is one widget which doesn't honors the text selection color -
find and replace dialog.

Btw, it would be cool to make theme consistent with all colors, used
by settings (filter by *color*)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [update 1.2] #12297

doru
could push a new version in the inbox?

Stef

On Jan 13, 2011, at 11:09 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> I like the simple border around the windows. I adopted it in the Glamorous Theme :)
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 13 Jan 2011, at 19:36, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> here is updated version of it.
>> more consistent colors
>> (note the ">" button now not highlighted by default,
>> also added thin border for lists
>> and thin border for system windows,
>> and removed 1pixel-wide shadow for system window.
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>> <GLMOrangeUITheme.st><GLMOrangeUITheme.png>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that happen. They both matter."

Re: [update 1.2] #12297

Tudor Girba
Done.

Doru

On 14 Jan 2011, at 09:06, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> doru
> could push a new version in the inbox?
>
> Stef
>
> On Jan 13, 2011, at 11:09 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> I like the simple border around the windows. I adopted it in the Glamorous Theme :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 13 Jan 2011, at 19:36, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>>> here is updated version of it.
>>> more consistent colors
>>> (note the ">" button now not highlighted by default,
>>> also added thin border for lists
>>> and thin border for system windows,
>>> and removed 1pixel-wide shadow for system window.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>>> <GLMOrangeUITheme.st><GLMOrangeUITheme.png>
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that happen. They both matter."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Value is always contextual."

Re: [update 1.2] #12297

Douglas Brebner
On 13/01/2011 22:04, Tudor Girba wrote:
> That is a good point. I actually used the Sim Daltonism application (for Mac) to check the color blindness issues, but it looks like I overlooked Monochromacy (however, this is pretty rare). I will try to look into that.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru

It's not just the colour blind that are affected (though they have it
worst). Even people with perfect vision can find it difficult to
distinguish adjacent areas of similar contrast.

e.g. If you look at the save changes window that appears when quitting
an image you'll notice the buttons almost disappear into the background.

Still, it's good that someone is working on this :)

Re: [update 1.2] #12297

Igor Stasenko
On 14 January 2011 12:33, Douglas Brebner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/01/2011 22:04, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>> That is a good point. I actually used the Sim Daltonism application (for
>> Mac) to check the color blindness issues, but it looks like I overlooked
>> Monochromacy (however, this is pretty rare). I will try to look into that.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>
> It's not just the colour blind that are affected (though they have it
> worst). Even people with perfect vision can find it difficult to distinguish
> adjacent areas of similar contrast.
>
> e.g. If you look at the save changes window that appears when quitting an
> image you'll notice the buttons almost disappear into the background.
>
> Still, it's good that someone is working on this :)

yeah.. if you not cleaning your house, do not expect guests to come :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [update 1.2] #12297

Gary Chambers-4
Just FYI...
On the class side of UITheme there is the defaultSettings... used when
changing themes to initialise the new theme.
Handy for having settings that survive theme changes.

For those of you wanting to retain certain colour changes, this is the thing
to edit. Should survive updates etc.

Would be nice to have Settings support for both the current and defaults
though ;-)

Regards, Gary

> On 14 January 2011 12:33, Douglas Brebner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> On 13/01/2011 22:04, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>>
>>> That is a good point. I actually used the Sim Daltonism application (for
>>> Mac) to check the color blindness issues, but it looks like I overlooked
>>> Monochromacy (however, this is pretty rare). I will try to look into
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>
>> It's not just the colour blind that are affected (though they have it
>> worst). Even people with perfect vision can find it difficult to
>> distinguish
>> adjacent areas of similar contrast.
>>
>> e.g. If you look at the save changes window that appears when quitting an
>> image you'll notice the buttons almost disappear into the background.
>>
>> Still, it's good that someone is working on this :)
>>

> yeah.. if you not cleaning your house, do not expect guests to come :)
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [update 1.2] #12297

Igor Stasenko
Well, i imagine that different themes can have a different set of
editable settings available,
and from that perspective the ThemeSettings is limiting, since
it contains a list of 'standard' properties, no more no less.

So, i proposing to rewrite all uses of:

UITheme currentSettings foo

with:

UITheme current foo

and let theme decide how to answer the requested value.

For example, one could do:

MyTheme>>fooColor
  ^ Color red  "non-editable, hardcoded value"

while another one could decide to use color from settings:

MyCoolTheme>>fooColor
 ^ settings at: #fooColor default: Color red

And also each theme could tell settings browser, which public
properties it having,
so, depending on currently installed theme, user could see and change
only those, which related to it.

Then settings could be a simple dict, where keys is symbols and values
is property values.
and then,  when you changing the current theme , it should simply do:

newTheme settings: oldTheme settings

so, nothing will be lost, even if new theme does not using some
properties, and when user will switching back to
old theme, it will continue using settings which already registered by/for it.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [update 1.2] #12297

Gary Chambers-4
Well, currentSettings is a delegation to the current theme settings...
Is equivalent to UITheme current settings.

Settings are abstracted out to declutter the theme.

The point I was making is that there are settings on the current theme
(volatile) and default settings per theme.

I take your point, for ease of overriding, but the settings (as called) ware
abstracted out since UITheme is already
quite a large facade...

I don't agree with settings being a dictionary, too many things are already
inexplicit!

Some kind of meta-description is appropriate though, for use in the Settings
browser. Is that
not the case already?

Regards, Gary

> Well, i imagine that different themes can have a different set of
> editable settings available,
> and from that perspective the ThemeSettings is limiting, since
> it contains a list of 'standard' properties, no more no less.
>
> So, i proposing to rewrite all uses of:
>
> UITheme currentSettings foo
>
> with:
>
> UITheme current foo
>
> and let theme decide how to answer the requested value.
>
> For example, one could do:
>
> MyTheme>>fooColor
>  ^ Color red  "non-editable, hardcoded value"
>
> while another one could decide to use color from settings:
>
> MyCoolTheme>>fooColor
> ^ settings at: #fooColor default: Color red
>
> And also each theme could tell settings browser, which public
> properties it having,
> so, depending on currently installed theme, user could see and change
> only those, which related to it.
>
> Then settings could be a simple dict, where keys is symbols and values
> is property values.
> and then,  when you changing the current theme , it should simply do:
>
> newTheme settings: oldTheme settings
>
> so, nothing will be lost, even if new theme does not using some
> properties, and when user will switching back to
> old theme, it will continue using settings which already registered by/for
> it.
>
> On 14 January 2011 18:05, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just FYI...
>> On the class side of UITheme there is the defaultSettings... used when
>> changing themes to initialise the new theme.
>> Handy for having settings that survive theme changes.
>>
>> For those of you wanting to retain certain colour changes, this is the
>> thing
>> to edit. Should survive updates etc.
>>
>> Would be nice to have Settings support for both the current and defaults
>> though ;-)
>>
>> Regards, Gary
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]>

Re: [update 1.2] #12297

Gary Chambers-4
Example:

UITheme currentSettings windowColor: Color orange.
World themeChanged.

UITheme current class defaultSettings  windowColor: Color lightBlue.
World themeChanged. " no change"

UITheme currentSettings windowColor: Color yellow.
World themeChanged.

UITheme current class beCurrent "uses default of light blue"

Switching between themes uses the theme defaults rather than any
modifications to the current theme.

Regards, Gary

> Well, i imagine that different themes can have a different set of
> editable settings available,
> and from that perspective the ThemeSettings is limiting, since
> it contains a list of 'standard' properties, no more no less.
>
> So, i proposing to rewrite all uses of:
>
> UITheme currentSettings foo
>
> with:
>
> UITheme current foo
>
> and let theme decide how to answer the requested value.
>
> For example, one could do:
>
> MyTheme>>fooColor
>  ^ Color red  "non-editable, hardcoded value"
>
> while another one could decide to use color from settings:
>
> MyCoolTheme>>fooColor
> ^ settings at: #fooColor default: Color red
>
> And also each theme could tell settings browser, which public
> properties it having,
> so, depending on currently installed theme, user could see and change
> only those, which related to it.
>
> Then settings could be a simple dict, where keys is symbols and values
> is property values.
> and then,  when you changing the current theme , it should simply do:
>
> newTheme settings: oldTheme settings
>
> so, nothing will be lost, even if new theme does not using some
> properties, and when user will switching back to
> old theme, it will continue using settings which already registered by/for
> it.
>
> On 14 January 2011 18:05, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just FYI...
>> On the class side of UITheme there is the defaultSettings... used when
>> changing themes to initialise the new theme.
>> Handy for having settings that survive theme changes.
>>
>> For those of you wanting to retain certain colour changes, this is the
>> thing
>> to edit. Should survive updates etc.
>>
>> Would be nice to have Settings support for both the current and defaults
>> though ;-)
>>
>> Regards, Gary
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]>

12