[update 1.4] #14057

Stéphane Ducasse
14057
-----

- Issue 4513: ScrollBar and MorphicModel needs cleaning. Stef and Igor killing tha big monster - Part two. :)

Gary it would be good that you check because we have two ways to to a perform: accessor and setValueSelector while only one would be enough.

Stef and Igor

Re: [update 1.4] #14057

Gary Chambers-4
Some trickyness.

Use of a combined accessor vs. separate get/set selectors may cause some
problems since less flexible.
Users exist in Slider subclasses and DiffMorph. Plus the TEasilyThemed and
UITheme helpers.

Regards, Gary

Re: [update 1.4] #14057

Stéphane Ducasse
Did you check what we did?
Because it would give us some confidence :)

Stef

On Jul 25, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Some trickyness.
>
> Use of a combined accessor vs. separate get/set selectors may cause some problems since less flexible.
> Users exist in Slider subclasses and DiffMorph. Plus the TEasilyThemed and UITheme helpers.
>
> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stéphane Ducasse" <[hidden email]>

Re: [update 1.4] #14057

Gary Chambers-4
I did check. Having a single accessor (with mutation) does not cover all the
cases. Some users require *no* getter, for instance, so would be erroneous
to update in response to a change.

Regards, Gary

Because it would give us some confidence :)

Stef

On Jul 25, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Some trickyness.
>
> Use of a combined accessor vs. separate get/set selectors may cause some
> problems since less flexible.
> Users exist in Slider subclasses and DiffMorph. Plus the TEasilyThemed and
> UITheme helpers.
>
> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stéphane Ducasse"
> <[hidden email]>

Re: [update 1.4] #14057

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jul 25, 2011, at 6:08 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> I did check. Having a single accessor (with mutation) does not cover all the cases. Some users require *no* getter, for instance, so would be erroneous to update in response to a change.

Ok I finally got it :)
we are open to change :) our goal was to clean the ugly "ok let us compile a method on the fly"

Stef

> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stéphane Ducasse" <[hidden email]>

Re: [update 1.4] #14057

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Are we talking about events/announcements?  I ask because the Dolphin way of doing things like this is that #value: triggers events, #setValue: does not - more or less.  It is a very nice system.

Caveat emptor: Dolphin also makes a lot of use of comparison policies (identity and equality being big players, of course).  I have always suspected that these arose from a need to moderate/quench what might otherwise become a recursive meltdown of events in response to non-changes.

Bill

Because it would give us some confidence :)

Stef

On Jul 25, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Some trickyness.
>
> Use of a combined accessor vs. separate get/set selectors may cause some
> problems since less flexible.
> Users exist in Slider subclasses and DiffMorph. Plus the TEasilyThemed and
> UITheme helpers.
>
> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stéphane Ducasse"
> <[hidden email]>

Re: [update 1.4] #14057

Stéphane Ducasse
We were talking about a kind of value holder which was played by MorphicModel and that was using a kind of accessor ( asymbol) and that gary extended.
And we are thinking that having a good one would be better to the accessor one.
But we discovered that while cleaning slider.
Stef

On Jul 25, 2011, at 11:18 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Are we talking about events/announcements?  I ask because the Dolphin way of doing things like this is that #value: triggers events, #setValue: does not - more or less.  It is a very nice system.
>
> Caveat emptor: Dolphin also makes a lot of use of comparison policies (identity and equality being big players, of course).  I have always suspected that these arose from a need to moderate/quench what might otherwise become a recursive meltdown of events in response to non-changes.
>
> Bill

Re: [update 1.4] #14057

Gary Chambers-4
I understand. I remember when I first saw that stuff!

Regards, Gary

On Jul 25, 2011, at 6:08 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> I did check. Having a single accessor (with mutation) does not cover all
> the cases. Some users require *no* getter, for instance, so would be
> erroneous to update in response to a change.

Ok I finally got it :)
we are open to change :) our goal was to clean the ugly "ok let us compile a
method on the fly"

Stef

> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stéphane Ducasse"
> <[hidden email]>

Re: [update 1.4] #14057

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jul 26, 2011, at 10:18 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> I understand. I remember when I first saw that stuff!

lol :)
this is a filter. People that faint should not continue coding in the UI ;)
After all the *Plus and the rest we are making progress not as fast as I would like.
Now I'm having as side project to clean the event loop with a nice double dispatch and really event and not buffer.

Stef