[update 1.4] #14355

Marcus Denker-4
14355
-----

Issue 5338: World menu icons are not updated when a default tool changes

Issue 5325: PackageInfo dependent on deprecated MethodReference

Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: [update 1.4] #14355

Pavel Krivanek-3
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 14355
> -----
>
> Issue 5338:     World menu icons are not updated when a default tool changes
>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5338

This fix adds dependency on Morphic to AppRegistry class >> #default
so Pharo Kernel cannot be produced.

Cheers
-- Pavel

> Issue 5325:     PackageInfo dependent on deprecated MethodReference
>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5325
>

> --
> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: [update 1.4] #14355

Pavel Krivanek-3
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Pavel Krivanek
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 14355
>> -----
>>
>> Issue 5338:     World menu icons are not updated when a default tool changes
>>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5338
>
> This fix adds dependency on Morphic to AppRegistry class >> #default
> so Pharo Kernel cannot be produced.
>
> Cheers
> -- Pavel

-- Pavel

>> Issue 5325:     PackageInfo dependent on deprecated MethodReference
>>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5325
>>

>> --
>> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: [update 1.4] #14355

Stéphane Ducasse
Excellent!
Pavel
We should add Pharo Kernel as dependent of the head so that we get immediate feedback like that.
because this is really great.

Stef

On Feb 25, 2012, at 5:20 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Excellent!
> Pavel
> We should add Pharo Kernel as dependent of the head so that we get immediate feedback like that.
> because this is really great.

It already is configured to be build after every update:

        https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo%20Kernel%201.4/

tests, too:

        https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo%20Kernel%20Tests/

Now we need to take action when it breaks...

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2012, at 5:20 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Excellent!
>> Pavel
>> We should add Pharo Kernel as dependent of the head so that we get immediate feedback like that.
>> because this is really great.
>>

> It already is configured to be build after every update:
>
>        https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo%20Kernel%201.4/
>
> tests, too:
>
>        https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo%20Kernel%20Tests/
>
> Now we need to take action when it breaks...

Of course it is always much better if the author of the patch can see
that it caused some problem than when some other person must later
investigate what patch of an update has evil side effect.

I hardly need to tell you that it is very demotivating to wait what
next will break something again (as this week one single update fixed
one issue and brought the next one). Instead of improving of the
system we must spend a lot of energy on maintenance.

We definitely must improve the QA process.

-- Pavel

> --
> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: [update 1.4] #14355

Pavel Krivanek-3
On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Pavel Krivanek
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 25, 2012, at 5:20 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Excellent!
>>> Pavel
>>> We should add Pharo Kernel as dependent of the head so that we get immediate feedback like that.
>>> because this is really great.
>>>

>> It already is configured to be build after every update:
>>
>>        https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo%20Kernel%201.4/
>>
>> tests, too:
>>
>>        https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo%20Kernel%20Tests/
>>
>> Now we need to take action when it breaks...
>
> Of course it is always much better if the author of the patch can see
> that it caused some problem than when some other person must later
> investigate what patch of an update has evil side effect.
>
> I hardly need to tell you that it is very demotivating to wait what
> next will break something again (as this week one single update fixed
> one issue and brought the next one). Instead of improving of the
> system we must spend a lot of energy on maintenance.
>
> We definitely must improve the QA process.

To support my lemmenting I must say that the state of non-failing
kernel jobs lasted only 10 hours. :-)

-- Pavel

> -- Pavel
>

>> --
>> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: [update 1.4] #14355

Pavel Krivanek-3
On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Pavel Krivanek
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Pavel Krivanek
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It already is configured to be build after every update:
>>>
>>>        https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo%20Kernel%201.4/
>>>
>>> tests, too:
>>>
>>>        https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo%20Kernel%20Tests/
>>>
>>> Now we need to take action when it breaks...
>>
>> Of course it is always much better if the author of the patch can see
>> that it caused some problem than when some other person must later
>> investigate what patch of an update has evil side effect.
>>
>> I hardly need to tell you that it is very demotivating to wait what
>> next will break something again (as this week one single update fixed
>> one issue and brought the next one). Instead of improving of the
>> system we must spend a lot of energy on maintenance.
>>
>> We definitely must improve the QA process.
>
> To support my lemmenting I must say that the state of non-failing
> kernel jobs lasted only 10 hours. :-)
>
> -- Pavel

hmm, this failure of Pharo Kernel Tests has interesting reason. It
fails because in the package CompilerTests there is one class
(CustomParserTest) that uses customParser. The custom parser class is
present in the same package but its definition follows its usage. It
seems that it is not related to a single update but it is caused by an
accidental order in *.st file from the mcz archive. So it may
disappear with the next commit of the CompilerTests package.

-- Pavel

>> -- Pavel
>>

>>> --
>>> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: [update 1.4] #14355

>> Of course it is always much better if the author of the patch can see
>> that it caused some problem than when some other person must later
>> investigate what patch of an update has evil side effect.
>>
>> I hardly need to tell you that it is very demotivating to wait what
>> next will break something again (as this week one single update fixed
>> one issue and brought the next one). Instead of improving of the
>> system we must spend a lot of energy on maintenance.
>>
>> We definitely must improve the QA process.
>
> To support my lemmenting I must say that the state of non-failing
> kernel jobs lasted only 10 hours. :-)

Excellent! :)
Seriously it means that we should work on rules checking so that we identify the violations.
People used tests for that now as soon as we have small lint we should be able to express architecture rules.

Re: [update 1.4] #14355

Nicolas Cellier
Wouldn't something simplistic like squeak PackageDependencyTest help?

Nicolas

Le 26 février 2012 09:58, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>>> Of course it is always much better if the author of the patch can see
>>> that it caused some problem than when some other person must later
>>> investigate what patch of an update has evil side effect.
>>>
>>> I hardly need to tell you that it is very demotivating to wait what
>>> next will break something again (as this week one single update fixed
>>> one issue and brought the next one). Instead of improving of the
>>> system we must spend a lot of energy on maintenance.
>>>
>>> We definitely must improve the QA process.
>>
>> To support my lemmenting I must say that the state of non-failing
>> kernel jobs lasted only 10 hours. :-)
>
> Excellent! :)
> Seriously it means that we should work on rules checking so that we identify the violations.
> People used tests for that now as soon as we have small lint we should be able to express architecture rules.
>
> Stef

Re: [update 1.4] #14355

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 26, 2012, at 2:07 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Wouldn't something simplistic like squeak PackageDependencyTest help?

would be good to try and learn as a start.

Stef