[update] #10241

Adrian Lienhard
#10241

Issue 167:
- Traits implementation refactoring (no sharing of compiled methods
and source)
- New tests for Traits MOP

Since this changes the handling of sources, the following issues with
condensing changes may be resolved:

Can somebody check these issues?

Adrian

Re: [update] #10241

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks adrian.
I got no time to test but this is cool to have that.

Stef

On Feb 21, 2009, at 3:10 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> #10241
>
> Issue 167:
> - Traits implementation refactoring (no sharing of compiled methods
> and source)
> - New tests for Traits MOP
>

> Since this changes the handling of sources, the following issues with
> condensing changes may be resolved:
>
> Can somebody check these issues?
>
> Adrian

Re: [update] #10241

Rob Rothwell
I was trying to help confirm that this might fix the condenseChanges problems.

When I take a 10236 dev image and update it to 10241 and try to do a Smalltalk condenseChanges, I get the attached Syntax Error during the condensing...

Can anyone reproduce this?

Rob

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks adrian.
I got no time to test but this is cool to have that.

Stef

On Feb 21, 2009, at 3:10 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> #10241
>
> Issue 167:
> - Traits implementation refactoring (no sharing of compiled methods
> and source)
> - New tests for Traits MOP
>

> Since this changes the handling of sources, the following issues with
> condensing changes may be resolved:
>
> Can somebody check these issues?
>
> Adrian

SyntaxError.JPG (31K) Download Attachment

Re: [update] #10241

Adrian in 10241 when i did Smalltalk condenseChanges

I got a ClassDescription

syntax error on the license

"
use and modification subject to a liberal open source license.  See
the main Squeak website for details.  Unless stated to the contrary,
works submitted for incorporation into or for distribution with Squeak
shall be presumed subject to the same license.

Portions of Squeak are:

Copyright Nothing more expected ->(c) 1996 Apple Computer, Inc.
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Walt Disney Company, and/or
Copyrighted works of many other contributors.
All rights reserved.
'

"

I think that fixing the condensing is the next key items since now we
cannot work with Moose anymore. The changeset is getting too close to
the limit.

Stef

On Feb 21, 2009, at 3:10 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> #10241
>
> Issue 167:
> - Traits implementation refactoring (no sharing of compiled methods
> and source)
> - New tests for Traits MOP
>

> Since this changes the handling of sources, the following issues with
> condensing changes may be resolved:
>
> Can somebody check these issues?
>
> Adrian

Re: [update] #10241

Stéphane Ducasse
I tried
        - to recompile the method licenseString on Smalltalk
        - remove it completely from the system

I still get the same problem

Stef

On Feb 22, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Adrian in 10241 when i did Smalltalk condenseChanges
>
> I got a ClassDescription
>
> syntax error on the license
>

> "
> use and modification subject to a liberal open source license.  See
> the main Squeak website for details.  Unless stated to the contrary,
> works submitted for incorporation into or for distribution with Squeak
> shall be presumed subject to the same license.
>
> Portions of Squeak are:
>
> Copyright Nothing more expected ->(c) 1996 Apple Computer, Inc.
> Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Walt Disney Company, and/or
> Copyrighted works of many other contributors.
> All rights reserved.
> '
>
> "
>
> I think that fixing the condensing is the next key items since now we
> cannot work with Moose anymore. The changeset is getting too close to
> the limit.
>
> Stef
>

> On Feb 21, 2009, at 3:10 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> #10241
>>
>> Issue 167:
>> - Traits implementation refactoring (no sharing of compiled methods
>> and source)
>> - New tests for Traits MOP
>>

>> Since this changes the handling of sources, the following issues with
>> condensing changes may be resolved:
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=466
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=470
>>
>> Can somebody check these issues?
>>
>> Adrian

Re: [update] #10241

Stéphane Ducasse
I added a trace in condenseChanges

PluggableTabBarMorph
PluggableTabButtonMorph
PluggableTextAttribute
PluggableTextEditorMorph
PluggableTextFieldMorph
PluggableTextMorph
  (and is Undeclared)  (See is Undeclared)  (Unless is Undeclared)
(works is Undeclared)  (Portions is Undeclared)  (Copyright is
Undeclared)

Stef

>>> ___________________
>>> http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/

Re: [update] #10241

Stéphane Ducasse
I tried again and got another stop not at the same place in
paragraphEditor
The key problem right now is that this crappy compiler does not raise
exception but open pops....

Stef

On Feb 22, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I added a trace in condenseChanges
>

> PluggableTabBarMorph
> PluggableTabButtonMorph
> PluggableTextAttribute
> PluggableTextEditorMorph
> PluggableTextFieldMorph
> PluggableTextMorph
>  (and is Undeclared)  (See is Undeclared)  (Unless is Undeclared)
> (works is Undeclared)  (Portions is Undeclared)  (Copyright is
> Undeclared)
>

> Stef
>
> On Feb 22, 2009, at 1:50 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> I tried
>> - to recompile the method licenseString on Smalltalk
>> - remove it completely from the system
>>
>> I still get the same problem
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Feb 22, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Adrian in 10241 when i did Smalltalk condenseChanges
>>>
>>> I got a ClassDescription
>>>
>>> syntax error on the license
>>>

>>> "
>>> use and modification subject to a liberal open source license.  See
>>> the main Squeak website for details.  Unless stated to the contrary,
>>> works submitted for incorporation into or for distribution with
>>> Squeak
>>> shall be presumed subject to the same license.
>>>
>>> Portions of Squeak are:
>>>
>>> Copyright Nothing more expected ->(c) 1996 Apple Computer, Inc.
>>> Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Walt Disney Company, and/or
>>> Copyrighted works of many other contributors.
>>> All rights reserved.
>>> '
>>>
>>> "
>>>
>>> I think that fixing the condensing is the next key items since now
>>> we
>>> cannot work with Moose anymore. The changeset is getting too close
>>> the limit.
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: [update] #10241

Adrian Lienhard
I'm debugging it right now.

What you see are only secondary symptoms because the debugger cannot
read the sources anymore because the source pointers have already been
modified but the sources file is still the old one...

To avoid this and still see the problem, modify #moveChangesTo: to not
move the source (moveSource: false).

The actual problem seems to be related to UTF8 conversion or stream
positioning (UTF8TextConverter>>errorMalformedInput). Backlog attached.

Adrian

On Feb 22, 2009, at 14:00 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I added a trace in condenseChanges
>

> PluggableTabBarMorph
> PluggableTabButtonMorph
> PluggableTextAttribute
> PluggableTextEditorMorph
> PluggableTextFieldMorph
> PluggableTextMorph
>  (and is Undeclared)  (See is Undeclared)  (Unless is Undeclared)
> (works is Undeclared)  (Portions is Undeclared)  (Copyright is
> Undeclared)
>

> Stef
>
> On Feb 22, 2009, at 1:50 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> I tried
>> - to recompile the method licenseString on Smalltalk
>> - remove it completely from the system
>>
>> I still get the same problem
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Feb 22, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Adrian in 10241 when i did Smalltalk condenseChanges
>>>
>>> I got a ClassDescription
>>>
>>> syntax error on the license
>>>

>>> "
>>> use and modification subject to a liberal open source license.  See
>>> the main Squeak website for details.  Unless stated to the contrary,
>>> works submitted for incorporation into or for distribution with
>>> Squeak
>>> shall be presumed subject to the same license.
>>>
>>> Portions of Squeak are:
>>>
>>> Copyright Nothing more expected ->(c) 1996 Apple Computer, Inc.
>>> Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Walt Disney Company, and/or
>>> Copyrighted works of many other contributors.
>>> All rights reserved.
>>> '
>>>
>>> "
>>>
>>> I think that fixing the condensing is the next key items since now
>>> we
>>> cannot work with Moose anymore. The changeset is getting too close
>>> the limit.
>>>
>>> Stef

SqueakDebug.log (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [update] #10241

Adrian Lienhard
Found it...

PositionableStream>>#backChunk chokes on parsing the preamble of
PluggableTextMorph>>#drawOn:. String>>#asCharacter is the method that
comes just before #drawOn: in the changes file:

----------
!String methodsFor: 'converting' stamp: 'marcus.denker 2/20/2009
20:16' prior: 31206904!
asCharacter
        "Answer the receiver's first character, or a strange round non-ascii
character if none.  Idiosyncratic, provisional."

        ^ self size > 0 ifTrue: [self first] ifFalse:[$·]! !
!PluggableTextMorph methodsFor: 'drawing' stamp: 'marcus.denker
2/20/2009 16:30' prior: 27409324!
drawOn: aCanvas
----------

When parsing #asCharacter, the UTF8 encoder fails with an
errorMalformedInput because it seems to read back to the strange dot
character.

The question is whether this character should not be used, or whether
parsing is bogus. Looking at #backChunk and related methods, latter
seems possible.  Looks a bit fishy with sends to #oldBack,
#oldPeekBack, but also to #back. Damien, can you verify your changes
in these methods?

As a workaround recompiling PluggableTextMorph>>#drawOn: solves the
problem (because then the source position of this method is moved away
from the asCharacter method).

Adrian
___________________
http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/

On Feb 22, 2009, at 14:18 , Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> I'm debugging it right now.
>
> What you see are only secondary symptoms because the debugger cannot
> read the sources anymore because the source pointers have already
> been modified but the sources file is still the old one...
>
> To avoid this and still see the problem, modify #moveChangesTo: to
> not move the source (moveSource: false).
>
> The actual problem seems to be related to UTF8 conversion or stream
> positioning (UTF8TextConverter>>errorMalformedInput). Backlog
> attached.
>
> Adrian
>
> <SqueakDebug.log>
>
> On Feb 22, 2009, at 14:00 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> I added a trace in condenseChanges
>>

>> PluggableTabBarMorph
>> PluggableTabButtonMorph
>> PluggableTextAttribute
>> PluggableTextEditorMorph
>> PluggableTextFieldMorph
>> PluggableTextMorph
>> (and is Undeclared)  (See is Undeclared)  (Unless is Undeclared)
>> (works is Undeclared)  (Portions is Undeclared)  (Copyright is
>> Undeclared)
>>

>> Stef
>>
>> On Feb 22, 2009, at 1:50 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> I tried
>>> - to recompile the method licenseString on Smalltalk
>>> - remove it completely from the system
>>>
>>> I still get the same problem
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: [update] #10241

Rob Rothwell
Wow.  I bow to the depths of the Squeak neural connections that must be going on in your brain...

I can only seem to find stuff like that in procedural languages when I don't know the system at all.

Anyway, you are right!  All I did was recompile PluggableTextMorph>>drawOn:  and Smallalk condenseChanges ran to completion.

I'm not quite sure how to test the Trait problems mentioned at the beginning of the thread to see if they are fixed by this, though...

Rob

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Found it...

PositionableStream>>#backChunk chokes on parsing the preamble of
PluggableTextMorph>>#drawOn:. String>>#asCharacter is the method that
comes just before #drawOn: in the changes file:

----------
!String methodsFor: 'converting' stamp: 'marcus.denker 2/20/2009
20:16' prior: 31206904!
asCharacter
       "Answer the receiver's first character, or a strange round non-ascii
character if none.  Idiosyncratic, provisional."

       ^ self size > 0 ifTrue: [self first] ifFalse:[$·]! !
!PluggableTextMorph methodsFor: 'drawing' stamp: 'marcus.denker
2/20/2009 16:30' prior: 27409324!
drawOn: aCanvas
----------

When parsing #asCharacter, the UTF8 encoder fails with an
errorMalformedInput because it seems to read back to the strange dot
character.

The question is whether this character should not be used, or whether
parsing is bogus. Looking at #backChunk and related methods, latter
seems possible.  Looks a bit fishy with sends to #oldBack,
#oldPeekBack, but also to #back. Damien, can you verify your changes
in these methods?

As a workaround recompiling PluggableTextMorph>>#drawOn: solves the
problem (because then the source position of this method is moved away
from the asCharacter method).

Adrian
___________________
http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/

On Feb 22, 2009, at 14:18 , Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> I'm debugging it right now.
>
> What you see are only secondary symptoms because the debugger cannot
> read the sources anymore because the source pointers have already
> been modified but the sources file is still the old one...
>
> To avoid this and still see the problem, modify #moveChangesTo: to
> not move the source (moveSource: false).
>
> The actual problem seems to be related to UTF8 conversion or stream
> positioning (UTF8TextConverter>>errorMalformedInput). Backlog
> attached.
>
> Adrian
>
> <SqueakDebug.log>
>
> On Feb 22, 2009, at 14:00 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> I added a trace in condenseChanges
>>

>> PluggableTabBarMorph
>> PluggableTabButtonMorph
>> PluggableTextAttribute
>> PluggableTextEditorMorph
>> PluggableTextFieldMorph
>> PluggableTextMorph
>> (and is Undeclared)  (See is Undeclared)  (Unless is Undeclared)
>> (works is Undeclared)  (Portions is Undeclared)  (Copyright is
>> Undeclared)
>>

>> Stef
>>
>> On Feb 22, 2009, at 1:50 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> I tried
>>>     - to recompile the method licenseString on Smalltalk
>>>     - remove it completely from the system
>>>
>>> I still get the same problem
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: [update] #10241

Gary Chambers-4

Evil legacy source code...
I remember such "dodgy" characters (look like withespace)...

Regards, Gary
> [...]

> positioning (UTF8TextConverter>>errorMalformedInput). Backlog
> attached.
>
> Adrian
>
> <SqueakDebug.log>
>

> On Feb 22, 2009, at 14:00 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> I added a trace in condenseChanges
>>

>> PluggableTabBarMorph
>> PluggableTabButtonMorph
>> PluggableTextAttribute
>> PluggableTextEditorMorph
>> PluggableTextFieldMorph
>> PluggableTextMorph
>> (and is Undeclared)  (See is Undeclared)  (Unless is Undeclared)
>> (works is Undeclared)  (Portions is Undeclared)  (Copyright is
>> Undeclared)
>>

>> Stef
>>
>> On Feb 22, 2009, at 1:50 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> I tried
>>>     - to recompile the method licenseString on Smalltalk

Re: [update] #10241

Stéphane Ducasse
The idea is that we want to reparse everything with gwenael and kick
out some strange characters.

Stef