[update] 10414

Adrian Lienhard
update #10414
-----------------
310+311: Reorganize unit tests in a more modular way such that they
can be unloaded

Now all unit tests are in the packages "Tests", "CollectionsTests",
"KernelTests", "MorphicTests", etc. The key point of this
reorganization is to make these packages really modular, i.e., they
can be unloaded without leaving obsolete classes behind. I also made
sure that SUnit with its GUI is unloadable.

If you execute in a Pharo-core image:

ScriptLoader new cleanUpForProduction; cleanUpForRelease

you get an image without tests and SUnit that is 8.0 MB on disk.

Adrian

Re: [update] 10414

Miguel Cobá
El jue, 13-08-2009 a las 22:26 +0200, Adrian Lienhard escribió:
> update #10414

> If you execute in a Pharo-core image:
>
> ScriptLoader new cleanUpForProduction; cleanUpForRelease
>
> you get an image without tests and SUnit that is 8.0 MB on disk.

Whoa! Cool! Thanks

> Adrian
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [update] 10414

Marcus Denker-3

On 13.08.2009, at 16:26, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> update #10414
> -----------------
> 310+311: Reorganize unit tests in a more modular way such that they
> can be unloaded
>
> Now all unit tests are in the packages "Tests", "CollectionsTests",
> "KernelTests", "MorphicTests", etc. The key point of this
> reorganization is to make these packages really modular, i.e., they
> can be unloaded without leaving obsolete classes behind. I also made
> sure that SUnit with its GUI is unloadable.
>
> If you execute in a Pharo-core image:
>
> ScriptLoader new cleanUpForProduction; cleanUpForRelease
>
> you get an image without tests and SUnit that is 8.0 MB on disk.

And after deleting the ScriptLoader class, it's only 6.9 MB.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker - http://marcusdenker.de
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: [update] 10414

Stéphane Ducasse

>> If you execute in a Pharo-core image:
>>
>> ScriptLoader new cleanUpForProduction; cleanUpForRelease
>>
>> you get an image without tests and SUnit that is 8.0 MB on disk.
>>

> And after deleting the ScriptLoader class, it's only 6.9 MB.

Interesting how strings can take space :)
But we will delete only for the 1.0 for the 1.1alpha I need the
history :)
at least for now :)

Re: [update] 10414

Igor Stasenko
2009/8/16 Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>:

> On 13.08.2009, at 16:26, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> update #10414
>> -----------------
>> 310+311: Reorganize unit tests in a more modular way such that they
>> can be unloaded
>>
>> Now all unit tests are in the packages "Tests", "CollectionsTests",
>> "KernelTests", "MorphicTests", etc. The key point of this
>> reorganization is to make these packages really modular, i.e., they
>> can be unloaded without leaving obsolete classes behind. I also made
>> sure that SUnit with its GUI is unloadable.
>>
>> If you execute in a Pharo-core image:
>>
>> ScriptLoader new cleanUpForProduction; cleanUpForRelease
>>
>> you get an image without tests and SUnit that is 8.0 MB on disk.
>>

> And after deleting the ScriptLoader class, it's only 6.9 MB.

Very good!

>        Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker - http://marcusdenker.de
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [update] 10414

Adrian Lienhard
I get 6.8MB ;)
Cool!

Are there any other known classes with methods that use that much
memory and are not essential?

I wonder how much we could save if methods with the source of bitmaps
(like #warningIconContents) would be removed or saved in the changes/
sources files (would be possible if stored as comments).

Cheers,
Adrian

On Aug 16, 2009, at 04:27 , Marcus Denker wrote:

> On 13.08.2009, at 16:26, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> update #10414
>> -----------------
>> 310+311: Reorganize unit tests in a more modular way such that they
>> can be unloaded
>>
>> Now all unit tests are in the packages "Tests", "CollectionsTests",
>> "KernelTests", "MorphicTests", etc. The key point of this
>> reorganization is to make these packages really modular, i.e., they
>> can be unloaded without leaving obsolete classes behind. I also made
>> sure that SUnit with its GUI is unloadable.
>>
>> If you execute in a Pharo-core image:
>>
>> ScriptLoader new cleanUpForProduction; cleanUpForRelease
>>
>> you get an image without tests and SUnit that is 8.0 MB on disk.
>>

> And after deleting the ScriptLoader class, it's only 6.9 MB.
>
> Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker - http://marcusdenker.de
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: [update] 10414

Mariano Martinez Peck
A good idea perhaps is to have a PharoForProduction or something like that and move the methods like cleanForProduction to that class and add to that method a piece of code that deletes the class ScriptLoader at the end.

Best,

Mariano