[update] #10487

12

[update] #10487

Adrian Lienhard
10483 - 10487
-----
- Issue 1310: Make all tests green
- Issue 1330: Better performance for tests

Test result: 7168 run, 7150 passes, 18 expected failures, 0 failures,
0 errors, 0 unexpected passes

Re: [update] #10487

Stéphane Ducasse
excellent!

On Oct 19, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> 10483 - 10487
> -----
> - Issue 1310: Make all tests green
> - Issue 1330: Better performance for tests
>
> Test result: 7168 run, 7150 passes, 18 expected failures, 0 failures,
> 0 errors, 0 unexpected passes

Re: [update] #10487

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
10483 - 10487
-----
- Issue 1310: Make all tests green

This is grate news. Sorry for my ignorance, but when you refer to "all tests" are you talking about Pharo core or just Pharo? In addition, is a Pharo goal to have also all test green in the dev image ?

- Issue 1330: Better performance for tests

Test result: 7168 run, 7150 passes, 18 expected failures, 0 failures,
0 errors, 0 unexpected passes

Re: [update] #10487

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 19-10-2009 a las 11:58 -0200, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         10483 - 10487
>         -----
>         - Issue 1310: Make all tests green
>
> This is grate news. Sorry for my ignorance, but when you refer to "all
> tests" are you talking about Pharo core or just Pharo? In addition, is
> a Pharo goal to have also all test green in the dev image ?

I don't think so.
The packages added by the dev images are independent and their tests are
their own responsibility.

>         - Issue 1330: Better performance for tests
>
>         Test result: 7168 run, 7150 passes, 18 expected failures, 0
>         failures,
>         0 errors, 0 unexpected passes

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [update] #10487

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 19-10-2009 a las 14:59 +0200, Adrian Lienhard escribió:
> 10483 - 10487
> -----
> - Issue 1310: Make all tests green

Cool.

> - Issue 1330: Better performance for tests
>
> Test result: 7168 run, 7150 passes, 18 expected failures, 0 failures,
> 0 errors, 0 unexpected passes

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [update] #10487

Damien Cassou
2009/10/19 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>:
>>         - Issue 1310: Make all tests green
>>
>> This is grate news. Sorry for my ignorance, but when you refer to "all
>> tests" are you talking about Pharo core or just Pharo? In addition, is
>> a Pharo goal to have also all test green in the dev image ?
>
> I don't think so.
> The packages added by the dev images are independent and their tests are
> their own responsibility.

You are right. However, having all tests green in a Pharo image is
also important for users.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [update] #10487

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/10/19 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>
El lun, 19-10-2009 a las 11:58 -0200, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         10483 - 10487
>         -----
>         - Issue 1310: Make all tests green
>
> This is grate news. Sorry for my ignorance, but when you refer to "all
> tests" are you talking about Pharo core or just Pharo? In addition, is
> a Pharo goal to have also all test green in the dev image ?

I don't think so.
The packages added by the dev images are independent and their tests are
their own responsibility.

I am sorry but I am not totally agree. Pharo core is something internal. Imagine a final user who just go to www.pharo-project.com/download and he downloads the "Pharo image". He will expect to have all green tests. He won't be aware of pharo core at all.

Moreover, if packages are included in Pharo dev it is because it is a Pharo decision. So, if pharo thinks that, for example, ocompletion must be in Pharo, so, I think that ocompletion tests must be green. I don't say it is Pharo responsability to have those tests in green.

Again, I am not saying it is Pharo responability to do this. This was a BIG step in Pharo.

El lun, 19-10-2009 a las 12:47 -0200, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> 2009/10/19 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>
>         El lun, 19-10-2009 a las 11:58 -0200, Mariano Martinez Peck
>         escribió:
>         >
>         >
>         > On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Adrian Lienhard
>         <[hidden email]>
>         > wrote:
>         >         10483 - 10487
>         >         -----
>         >         - Issue 1310: Make all tests green
>         >
>         > This is grate news. Sorry for my ignorance, but when you
>         refer to "all
>         > tests" are you talking about Pharo core or just Pharo? In
>         addition, is
>         > a Pharo goal to have also all test green in the dev image ?
>

>         I don't think so.
>         The packages added by the dev images are independent and their
>         tests are
>         their own responsibility.
>

> I am sorry but I am not totally agree. Pharo core is something
> internal. Imagine a final user who just go to
> www.pharo-project.com/download and he downloads the "Pharo image". He
> will expect to have all green tests. He won't be aware of pharo core
> at all.

I agree from a user perspective. But the dev images are, I think, a
community bonus resulting from the effort of Damien. He isn't and musn't
be responsible for checking if the packages included have green tests or
not. Even more, the fact that a package hasn't green test doesn't
necessarily means that the package is broken. It could mean that the
tests aren't updated to the current package code. The package could very
well work correctly although some tests fail.

So, yes it *would* be great to have the dev packages all with green
tests but this is almost impossible to get with the current workforce
and free time.

Great but almost impossible.

Cheers

> Moreover, if packages are included in Pharo dev it is because it is a
> Pharo decision. So, if pharo thinks that, for example, ocompletion
> must be in Pharo, so, I think that ocompletion tests must be green.

But I don't think that the package lists (web and dev images) are
blessed by the Pharo board.

>  I don't say it is Pharo responsability to have those tests in green.
>
> Again, I am not saying it is Pharo responability to do this. This was
> a BIG step in Pharo.
>

>         >
>         >         - Issue 1330: Better performance for tests
>         >
>         >         Test result: 7168 run, 7150 passes, 18 expected
>         failures, 0
>         >         failures,
>         >         0 errors, 0 unexpected passes
>         >
>         >         ___________________
>         >         http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/
>         >
>         >
>         >         _______________________________________________
>         >         Pharo-project mailing list
>         >         [hidden email]
>         >
>         http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project
>         >
>         > _______________________________________________
>         > Pharo-project mailing list
>         > [hidden email]
>         >
>         http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project
>
>         --
>         Miguel Cobá
>         http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [update] #10487

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/10/19 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>
El lun, 19-10-2009 a las 12:47 -0200, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> 2009/10/19 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <[hidden email]>
>         El lun, 19-10-2009 a las 11:58 -0200, Mariano Martinez Peck
>         escribió:
>         >
>         >
>         > On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Adrian Lienhard
>         <[hidden email]>
>         > wrote:
>         >         10483 - 10487
>         >         -----
>         >         - Issue 1310: Make all tests green
>         >
>         > This is grate news. Sorry for my ignorance, but when you
>         refer to "all
>         > tests" are you talking about Pharo core or just Pharo? In
>         addition, is
>         > a Pharo goal to have also all test green in the dev image ?
>

>         I don't think so.
>         The packages added by the dev images are independent and their
>         tests are
>         their own responsibility.
>

> I am sorry but I am not totally agree. Pharo core is something
> internal. Imagine a final user who just go to
> www.pharo-project.com/download and he downloads the "Pharo image". He
> will expect to have all green tests. He won't be aware of pharo core
> at all.

I agree from a user perspective. But the dev images are, I think, a
community bonus resulting from the effort of Damien.
He isn't and musn't
be responsible for checking if the packages included have green tests or
not. Even more, the fact that a package hasn't green test doesn't
necessarily means that the package is broken. It could mean that the
tests aren't updated to the current package code. The package could very
well work correctly although some tests fail.

So, yes it *would* be great to have the dev packages all with green
tests but this is almost impossible to get with the current workforce
and free time.

Great but almost impossible.

I am agree. But, tests have several purposes. One of them is to try to build robust software. So, the final users will use Pharo, not Pharo core. So, if Pharo has a lot of red tests and it is buggy, it won't be usable from a user perspective, no matter how core is. It's like, who cares if Ubuntu kernel works well if what I use is Ubuntu? I need ubuntu to be robust, which includes ubuntu packages and core.

What I propose is to identify the red tests of Pharo dev and look for the package and ask the maintainers (if there is anyone) to fix it. And the regarding tests, we can tag them as 1.1

Cheers

> Moreover, if packages are included in Pharo dev it is because it is a
> Pharo decision. So, if pharo thinks that, for example, ocompletion
> must be in Pharo, so, I think that ocompletion tests must be green.

But I don't think that the package lists (web and dev images) are
blessed by the Pharo board.

And I am not agree with this also. I think Pharo board, and even the community has to choose the Pharo packages. Please, take in mind that the final users will use and see Pharo, NOT PHARO CORE.

>  I don't say it is Pharo responsability to have those tests in green.
>
> Again, I am not saying it is Pharo responability to do this. This was
> a BIG step in Pharo.
>

>         >
>         >         - Issue 1330: Better performance for tests
>         >
>         >         Test result: 7168 run, 7150 passes, 18 expected
>         failures, 0
>         >         failures,
>         >         0 errors, 0 unexpected passes
>         >
>         >         ___________________
>         >         http://www.adrian-lienhard.ch/
>         >
>         >
>         >         _______________________________________________
>         >         Pharo-project mailing list
>         >         [hidden email]
>         >
>         http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project
>         >
>         > _______________________________________________
>         > Pharo-project mailing list
>         > [hidden email]
>         >
>         http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project
>
>         --
>         Miguel Cobá
>         http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [update] #10487

Damien Cassou
2009/10/19 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> What I propose is to identify the red tests of Pharo dev and look for the
> package and ask the maintainers (if there is anyone) to fix it. And the
> regarding tests, we can tag them as 1.1

Ok. Can you have a look at that please? The problem is that we will
also have to maintain these tests.

>> > Moreover, if packages are included in Pharo dev it is because it is a
>> > Pharo decision. So, if pharo thinks that, for example, ocompletion
>> > must be in Pharo, so, I think that ocompletion tests must be green.
>>
>> But I don't think that the package lists (web and dev images) are
>> blessed by the Pharo board.
>>
> And I am not agree with this also. I think Pharo board, and even the
> community has to choose the Pharo packages. Please, take in mind that the
> final users will use and see Pharo, NOT PHARO CORE.

I confirm. The Pharo user community has the last word on what gets
integrated into images I generate, not me. The list of packages is at:
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [update] #10487

Lukas Renggli
Personally I would like to download an image *without* any tests, no
matter if this is a core or a dev image. And have included a detailed
report on the results of running all the tests in that particular
image.

Cheers,
Lukas

2009/10/19 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> 2009/10/19 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> What I propose is to identify the red tests of Pharo dev and look for the
>> package and ask the maintainers (if there is anyone) to fix it. And the
>> regarding tests, we can tag them as 1.1
>
> Ok. Can you have a look at that please? The problem is that we will
> also have to maintain these tests.

>>> But I don't think that the package lists (web and dev images) are
>>> blessed by the Pharo board.
>>>
>> And I am not agree with this also. I think Pharo board, and even the
>> community has to choose the Pharo packages. Please, take in mind that the
>> final users will use and see Pharo, NOT PHARO CORE.
>
> I confirm. The Pharo user community has the last word on what gets
> integrated into images I generate, not me. The list of packages is at:
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [update] #10487

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 19-10-2009 a las 17:51 +0200, Lukas Renggli escribió:
> Personally I would like to download an image *without* any tests, no
> matter if this is a core or a dev image. And have included a detailed
> report on the results of running all the tests in that particular
> image.

But why, apart from the tiny image disk usage reduction. The test
sometimes show how to use the, most times underdocumented, package.

> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> 2009/10/19 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
> > 2009/10/19 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> >> What I propose is to identify the red tests of Pharo dev and look for the
> >> package and ask the maintainers (if there is anyone) to fix it. And the
> >> regarding tests, we can tag them as 1.1
> >
> > Ok. Can you have a look at that please? The problem is that we will
> > also have to maintain these tests.

> >> And I am not agree with this also. I think Pharo board, and even the
> >> community has to choose the Pharo packages. Please, take in mind that the
> >> final users will use and see Pharo, NOT PHARO CORE.
> >
> > I confirm. The Pharo user community has the last word on what gets
> > integrated into images I generate, not me. The list of packages is at:
> > http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages.
> >
> > --
> > Damien Cassou
> > http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
> >
> > "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> > popular by not having them." James Iry

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [update] #10487

Gary Chambers-4
+1 Or at least have a reliable one-click (one message send) way of unloading
the tests cleanly for deployment purposes.

Regards, Gary

> Personally I would like to download an image *without* any tests, no
> matter if this is a core or a dev image. And have included a detailed
> report on the results of running all the tests in that particular
> image.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> 2009/10/19 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
>> 2009/10/19 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>>> What I propose is to identify the red tests of Pharo dev and look for
>>> the
>>> package and ask the maintainers (if there is anyone) to fix it. And the
>>> regarding tests, we can tag them as 1.1
>>
>> Ok. Can you have a look at that please? The problem is that we will
>> also have to maintain these tests.

>>> And I am not agree with this also. I think Pharo board, and even the
>>> community has to choose the Pharo packages. Please, take in mind that
>>> the
>>> final users will use and see Pharo, NOT PHARO CORE.
>>
>> I confirm. The Pharo user community has the last word on what gets
>> integrated into images I generate, not me. The list of packages is at:
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages.
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>> popular by not having them." James Iry

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [update] #10487

Lukas Renggli
>> Personally I would like to download an image *without* any tests, no
>> matter if this is a core or a dev image. And have included a detailed
>> report on the results of running all the tests in that particular
>> image.
>
> But why, apart from the tiny image disk usage reduction. The test
> sometimes show how to use the, most times underdocumented, package.

IMHO, that's a myth. Did a single test case ever in your entire life
help you to understand a piece of code? It never happened to me so far
:-)

The rational behind my opinion is that I do not care about the tests
of the other packages when I develop software. Did you ever (other
than by accident) run the Collection or Compiler tests when you
developed some of your code?

Btw, the same is true for the Monticello working copies. I frankly do
not care what version of Collection or Compiler is loaded in my image.
Sometimes I just drop all this information before I load my code. This
greatly reduces clutter.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [update] #10487

Adrian Lienhard

On Oct 19, 2009, at 18:05 , Gary Chambers wrote:

> +1 Or at least have a reliable one-click (one message send) way of
> unloading
> the tests cleanly for deployment purposes.

Check out "ScriptLoader new cleanUpForProduction"

This is why I detangled the tests and moved them in a modular package
that can be unloaded. With this script, which also clears the MC
ancestory metadata, you get an image with only 6.7MB size on disk.

Cheers,
Adrian

> Regards, Gary

Re: [update] #10487

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 19-10-2009 a las 18:14 +0200, Lukas Renggli escribió:

> >> Personally I would like to download an image *without* any tests, no
> >> matter if this is a core or a dev image. And have included a detailed
> >> report on the results of running all the tests in that particular
> >> image.
> >
> > But why, apart from the tiny image disk usage reduction. The test
> > sometimes show how to use the, most times underdocumented, package.
>
> IMHO, that's a myth. Did a single test case ever in your entire life
> help you to understand a piece of code? It never happened to me so far
> :-)
>
> The rational behind my opinion is that I do not care about the tests
> of the other packages when I develop software. Did you ever (other
> than by accident) run the Collection or Compiler tests when you
> developed some of your code?
>
> Btw, the same is true for the Monticello working copies. I frankly do
> not care what version of Collection or Compiler is loaded in my image.
> Sometimes I just drop all this information before I load my code. This
> greatly reduces clutter.

I agree. But then maybe is better to use the other alternative proposed
of putting a visible one-liner or one-click to unload the tests after
downloading and let the user unload them on demand in images used for
deployment and not in images used for everyday work.

Respect to the Monticello working copies I fully agree.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [update] #10487

Adrian Lienhard
We have to check the packages that are part of the Pharo image before
we release 1.0. Currently we have 40 failures and 55 errors, which is
simply not good enough. There is code loaded that can not work
(considering there are 38 undeclared references...).

Adrian

On Oct 19, 2009, at 17:08 , Damien Cassou wrote:

> 2009/10/19 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> What I propose is to identify the red tests of Pharo dev and look
>> for the
>> package and ask the maintainers (if there is anyone) to fix it. And
>> the
>> regarding tests, we can tag them as 1.1
>
> Ok. Can you have a look at that please? The problem is that we will
> also have to maintain these tests.

>>> But I don't think that the package lists (web and dev images) are
>>> blessed by the Pharo board.
>>>
>> And I am not agree with this also. I think Pharo board, and even the
>> community has to choose the Pharo packages. Please, take in mind
>> that the
>> final users will use and see Pharo, NOT PHARO CORE.
>
> I confirm. The Pharo user community has the last word on what gets
> integrated into images I generate, not me. The list of packages is at:
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: [update] #10487

Gary Chambers-4
Handy, will try to remember and add to our stripping scripts...

Regards, Gary

> On Oct 19, 2009, at 18:05 , Gary Chambers wrote:
>
>> +1 Or at least have a reliable one-click (one message send) way of
>> unloading
>> the tests cleanly for deployment purposes.
>
> Check out "ScriptLoader new cleanUpForProduction"
>
> This is why I detangled the tests and moved them in a modular package
> that can be unloaded. With this script, which also clears the MC
> ancestory metadata, you get an image with only 6.7MB size on disk.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>

>> Regards, Gary

Re: [update] #10487

Stéphane Ducasse
ideally we should have a miniimage and a metacello configuration files
and
people can pick what they want. + an universe based on metacello.

Stef

On Oct 19, 2009, at 6:37 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Handy, will try to remember and add to our stripping scripts...
>
> Regards, Gary

Re: [update] #10487

Michael Roberts-2
I think we should report the pharo tests the same way we report the
pharo-core tests. Unless someone disagrees I will look to split out
the wiki into a number of test areas.  I agree we can not necessarily
fix all the tests owned by the packages but we should publish a
baseline. This will be important for inclusion of new packages, a
prerequisite being not introducing new failures.

thanks
Mike