[update 2.0] #20245

EstebanLM
20245
-----

Issue 6510: update zinc

Issue 6514: Add allDefinedExtensionMethods to RPackage

Issue 6521: RPackageOrganizer>>initialize does not initialize from scratch

Issue 6523: Bug in RPackage >> systemSubPackages

Issue 6526: RPackage is not removing extensions from a removed class

Re: [update 2.0] #20245

Pavel Krivanek-3
We are starting to have a lot of failing tests again

CompressionTests.Archive.ZipArchiveTest.testCreateWithRelativeNames
CompressionTests.Archive.ZipArchiveTest.testZip
FileSystem.Tests.Disk.DiskFileSystemTest.testEntryAt
FileSystem.Tests.Memory.MemoryFileSystemTest.testEntryAt
KernelTests.Chronology.StopwatchTest.testSingleTiming
KernelTests.Chronology.StopwatchTest.testStartStop
KernelTests.Chronology.TimeStampTest.testComparing
KernelTests.Chronology.TimeStampTest.testSorting
Zinc.Tests.ZnLogSupportTests.testLogEvent
RPackage.Tests.RPackageWithDoTest.testInvariant
Tests.Release.ReleaseTest.testMethodsWithUnboundGlobals
Tests.Release.ReleaseTest.testUndeclared

I think that we have to upgrade the monkey checking to stop such regressions...

-- Pavel

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 20245
> -----
>
> Issue 6510:     update zinc
>         http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6510
>
> Issue 6514:     Add allDefinedExtensionMethods to RPackage
>         http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6514
>
> Issue 6521:     RPackageOrganizer>>initialize does not initialize from scratch
>         http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6521
>
> Issue 6523:     Bug in RPackage >> systemSubPackages
>         http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6523
>
> Issue 6526:     RPackage is not removing extensions from a removed class
>         http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6526

Re: [update 2.0] #20245

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
We are starting to have a lot of failing tests again

CompressionTests.Archive.ZipArchiveTest.testCreateWithRelativeNames
CompressionTests.Archive.ZipArchiveTest.testZip
FileSystem.Tests.Disk.DiskFileSystemTest.testEntryAt
FileSystem.Tests.Memory.MemoryFileSystemTest.testEntryAt
KernelTests.Chronology.StopwatchTest.testSingleTiming
KernelTests.Chronology.StopwatchTest.testStartStop
KernelTests.Chronology.TimeStampTest.testComparing
KernelTests.Chronology.TimeStampTest.testSorting
Zinc.Tests.ZnLogSupportTests.testLogEvent
RPackage.Tests.RPackageWithDoTest.testInvariant
Tests.Release.ReleaseTest.testMethodsWithUnboundGlobals
Tests.Release.ReleaseTest.testUndeclared

I think that we have to upgrade the monkey checking to stop such regressions...

Shouldn't Jenkins help us here?

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [update 2.0] #20245

Pavel Krivanek-3

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
We are starting to have a lot of failing tests again

CompressionTests.Archive.ZipArchiveTest.testCreateWithRelativeNames
CompressionTests.Archive.ZipArchiveTest.testZip
FileSystem.Tests.Disk.DiskFileSystemTest.testEntryAt
FileSystem.Tests.Memory.MemoryFileSystemTest.testEntryAt
KernelTests.Chronology.StopwatchTest.testSingleTiming
KernelTests.Chronology.StopwatchTest.testStartStop
KernelTests.Chronology.TimeStampTest.testComparing
KernelTests.Chronology.TimeStampTest.testSorting
Zinc.Tests.ZnLogSupportTests.testLogEvent
RPackage.Tests.RPackageWithDoTest.testInvariant
Tests.Release.ReleaseTest.testMethodsWithUnboundGlobals
Tests.Release.ReleaseTest.testUndeclared

I think that we have to upgrade the monkey checking to stop such regressions...

Shouldn't Jenkins help us here?

We have about three options:
1) use Jenkins for updates checking
    - maybe it was the original plan but it doesn't work because we do not want to rollback updates
2) create a fake update server and create Jenkins jobs that will check the updates and will not pass the dirty ones to mainstream
3) improve the Monkey do do more checks on fixes of issues - to run more tests etc. And do not allow fixes that do not pass.

The current state when we do not rollback updates and have poor issues checking may seem to look good for the fast development of the system with big radical changes but in reality it ends in state when if somebody wants to improve something he firstly has to fix things that started to be broken.

-- Pavel

-- Pavel

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 20245
> -----
>
> Issue 6510:     update zinc
>         http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6510
>
> Issue 6514:     Add allDefinedExtensionMethods to RPackage
>         http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6514
>
> Issue 6521:     RPackageOrganizer>>initialize does not initialize from scratch
>         http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6521
>
> Issue 6523:     Bug in RPackage >> systemSubPackages
>         http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6523
>
> Issue 6526:     RPackage is not removing extensions from a removed class
>         http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6526

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [update 2.0] #20245

Camillo Bruni-3

>> Shouldn't Jenkins help us here?
>>

> We have about three options:
> 1) use Jenkins for updates checking
>    - maybe it was the original plan but it doesn't work because we do not
> want to rollback updates

I think the original plan was to only use images that completed all the
tests. Much like the VM builds.

> 2) create a fake update server and create Jenkins jobs that will check the
> updates and will not pass the dirty ones to mainstream

I guess that goes along with #1, we should be able to rollback changes easily.
And yes, we should have a 2 level publish system, first internally for checking
and only then publicly..

> 3) improve the Monkey do do more checks on fixes of issues - to run more
> tests etc. And do not allow fixes that do not pass.

the monkey should filter out as much as possible. since at that point we
didn't change anything yet, so it's the ideal moment to fix things :)
- do strict testing (of everything)
- do some code critics (undeclared vars ...)
- provide simple heuristics about the complexity of the fix