update fail

Juan-2
Folks

Every time I try to update repositories fails, the error is.

atp-get update

http://seaside.dmz.dc.gemstone.com/debian/dists/glass/unstable/binary-amd64/Packages.gz
 Could not resolve 'seaside.dmz.dc.gemstone.com'
       Could not resolve 'seaside.dmz.dc.gemstone.com'

  any ideas?
best
MDC

Re: update fail

Dale
apt-get is not really the approved way for updating the GemStone server executables. We included the facility in apt fairly early in the appliance development process. Given the fact that the data in the repository must be upgraded along with the executables means that an automated update of the GemStone executables isn't very useful.

If you are interested in updating the Smalltalk/GLASS code, see http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/05/12/glass-beta-update-fixin-some-bugs-preview/. The post is fairly old but covers the procedure for updating the appliance repository in place.

You can bootstrap a GLASS repository (build from scratch) if you are interested in getting the latest code. See http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/12/16/bootstrapping-glass-1-0-beta-5/ for instructions.

Finally, I am very close to releasing 1.0-beta.8 which will include an upgrade path for the appliance.

Dale
----- "Juan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Folks
|
| Every time I try to update repositories fails, the error is.
|
| atp-get update
|

| http://seaside.dmz.dc.gemstone.com/debian/dists/glass/unstable/binary-amd64/Packages.gz
|  Could not resolve 'seaside.dmz.dc.gemstone.com'
|        Could not resolve 'seaside.dmz.dc.gemstone.com'
|

|   any ideas?
| best
| MDC

Re: update fail

Juan-2
Dale

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Dale Henrichs
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> apt-get is not really the approved way for updating the GemStone server executables. We
> included the facility in apt fairly early in the appliance development process. Given the fact >that the data in the repository must be upgraded along with the executables means that an >automated update of the GemStone executables isn't very useful.

  What happens is that the update files  for packages
(/etc/apt/sources.list or others .. )
  gemstone is defined as source then apt-get or aptitude fail trying
to use,perhaps we should remove   to avoid such errors.

best regards
MDC

> If you are interested in updating the Smalltalk/GLASS code, see http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/05/12/glass-beta-update-fixin-some-bugs-preview/. The post is fairly old but covers the procedure for updating the appliance repository in place.
>
> You can bootstrap a GLASS repository (build from scratch) if you are interested in getting the latest code. See http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/12/16/bootstrapping-glass-1-0-beta-5/ for instructions.
>
> Finally, I am very close to releasing 1.0-beta.8 which will include an upgrade path for the appliance.
>
> Dale
> ----- "Juan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | Folks
> |
> | Every time I try to update repositories fails, the error is.
> |
> | atp-get update
> |

> | http://seaside.dmz.dc.gemstone.com/debian/dists/glass/unstable/binary-amd64/Packages.gz
> |  Could not resolve 'seaside.dmz.dc.gemstone.com'
> |        Could not resolve 'seaside.dmz.dc.gemstone.com'
> |

> |   any ideas?
> | best
> | MDC

Re: update fail

Dale
I've submitted an issue to track this: http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/issues/detail?id=63
----- "Juan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Dale
|

| On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Dale Henrichs
| <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > apt-get is not really the approved way for updating the GemStone
| server executables. We
| > included the facility in apt fairly early in the appliance
| development process. Given the fact >that the data in the repository
| must be upgraded along with the executables means that an >automated
| update of the GemStone executables isn't very useful.
|
|   What happens is that the update files  for packages
| (/etc/apt/sources.list or others .. )
|   gemstone is defined as source then apt-get or aptitude fail trying
| to use,perhaps we should remove   to avoid such errors.
|
| best regards
| MDC
|

| > If you are interested in updating the Smalltalk/GLASS code, see
| http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/05/12/glass-beta-update-fixin-some-bugs-preview/.
| The post is fairly old but covers the procedure for updating the
| appliance repository in place.
| >
| > You can bootstrap a GLASS repository (build from scratch) if you are
| interested in getting the latest code. See
| http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/12/16/bootstrapping-glass-1-0-beta-5/
| for instructions.
| >
| > Finally, I am very close to releasing 1.0-beta.8 which will include
| an upgrade path for the appliance.
| >
| > Dale
| > ----- "Juan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >
| > | Folks
| > |
| > | Every time I try to update repositories fails, the error is.
| > |
| > | atp-get update
| > |
| > |