update notice for tODE dev branch users ...

1 message Options

update notice for tODE dev branch users ...

GLASS mailing list
If you have NOT been using tODE on the dev branch (mainly folks that are
working with server blocks), then this message does not affect you.

If you have bee using tODE on the dev branch, but don't plan on
upgrading to a later version of tODE, then you don't have to read any
further.

If you DO plan on upgrading to a newer version of tODE on the dev
branch, then you need to use the pharo client upgrade script described
below.

I have been working on porting Ston to GemStone 3.3 and as part of the
process I have changed the implementation of Ston that is used with tODE
and GemStone. The new version of tODE client is backwards compatible
with older server versions of tODE and the newer server versions of tODE
are backward compatible with the older versions of the client, but when
you are upgrading along the dev branch, it always a good idea to keep
your client and server in synch.

In order to update the pharo client you have two choices:

   1. Delete the old pharo client image(s) and rebuild them using
$GS_HOME/bin/createTodeImage.
   2. Execute the following expression in a pharo workspace in an
existing pharo client:

Metacello image
     baseline: 'Metacello';
     get;
     load.
   (MCWorkingCopy allManagers
     detect: [ :wc | wc packageName = 'Ston-Core' ]
     ifNone: [  ]) ifNotNil: [ :wc | wc unregister ].
   [
   Metacello image
     baseline: 'Tode';
     get;
     onConflict: [ :ex | ex useIncoming ];
     load ]
     on: MCMergeOrLoadWarning
     do: [ :ex | ex resume: true ].
   TDShell resetWorldMenu

Normally I would push the above changes out as a new version of
GsDevKitHome, so that the standard $GS_HOME/bin/updateTodeImage script
can be used, but I am figuring that there aren't too many people who are
going to be affected by this change so publishing a workspace is simpler
for me (and for you).

For more information about what I've done with Ston, take a look at the
v0.9.4 release notes[1].

As always, let me know if you run into problems,

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/ston/releases/tag/v0.9.4