update to OCompletion

12

Re: update to OCompletion

Tim Mackinnon
I shall definitely give that a read - especially now i have an example
to think back on.

By the way - these chapters that people keep writing, are a great help
(the monticello one certainly took away a huge load of frustrations I
was having) - so thanks to everyone that keeps chipping away at them!

tim

On 4 Aug 2010, at 18:44, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> I am glad I helped. You can also take a look to the Metacello draft
> we wrote for Pharo By Example 2. I attach it.

Re: update to OCompletion

Francisco Ortiz Peñaloza
Hi, i'm trying the latest version cause i's tired of waiting for the
switch to the longer list of suggestions. But i don't understand the
following change

-removed enter to insert a completion

am i missing something? why do u ppl make this change?

Cheers,
Francisco Ortiz Peñaloza

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I shall definitely give that a read - especially now i have an example to
> think back on.
>
> By the way - these chapters that people keep writing, are a great help (the
> monticello one certainly took away a huge load of frustrations I was having)
> - so thanks to everyone that keeps chipping away at them!
>
> tim
>
> On 4 Aug 2010, at 18:44, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> I am glad I helped. You can also take a look to the Metacello draft we
>> wrote for Pharo By Example 2. I attach it.

Re: update to OCompletion

Tudor Girba
This is because when you have a line split into multiple lines, I want Enter to mean new line, not complete. This is particularly the case when you have pseudo-domain specific languages like in Glamour or Mondrian.

Nevertheless, I would say that once I pressed the down arrow, my focus is to the completion, and thus enter should mean selection of the completion.

Cheers,
Doru

On 12 Sep 2010, at 01:30, Francisco Ortiz Peñaloza wrote:

> Hi, i'm trying the latest version cause i's tired of waiting for the
> switch to the longer list of suggestions. But i don't understand the
> following change
>
> -removed enter to insert a completion
>
> am i missing something? why do u ppl make this change?
>
> Cheers,
> Francisco Ortiz Peñaloza
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I shall definitely give that a read - especially now i have an example to
>> think back on.
>>
>> By the way - these chapters that people keep writing, are a great help (the
>> monticello one certainly took away a huge load of frustrations I was having)
>> - so thanks to everyone that keeps chipping away at them!
>>
>> tim
>>
>> On 4 Aug 2010, at 18:44, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>>> I am glad I helped. You can also take a look to the Metacello draft we
>>> wrote for Pharo By Example 2. I attach it.

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow."

Re: update to OCompletion

Alexandre Bergel
> This is because when you have a line split into multiple lines, I want Enter to mean new line, not complete. This is particularly the case when you have pseudo-domain specific languages like in Glamour or Mondrian.

A bit hard to get used to it, but I agree.

> Nevertheless, I would say that once I pressed the down arrow, my focus is to the completion, and thus enter should mean selection of the completion.

+1

Alexandre

> On 12 Sep 2010, at 01:30, Francisco Ortiz Peñaloza wrote:
>
>> Hi, i'm trying the latest version cause i's tired of waiting for the
>> switch to the longer list of suggestions. But i don't understand the
>> following change
>>
>> -removed enter to insert a completion
>>
>> am i missing something? why do u ppl make this change?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Francisco Ortiz Peñaloza
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I shall definitely give that a read - especially now i have an example to
>>> think back on.
>>>
>>> By the way - these chapters that people keep writing, are a great help (the
>>> monticello one certainly took away a huge load of frustrations I was having)
>>> - so thanks to everyone that keeps chipping away at them!
>>>
>>> tim

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: update to OCompletion

Francisco Ortiz Peñaloza
On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is because when you have a line split into multiple lines, I want Enter to mean new line, not complete. This is particularly the case when you have pseudo-domain specific languages like in Glamour or Mondrian.
>
> A bit hard to get used to it, but I agree.

Ok, you've got a good point. Thanks to point me out.

>> Nevertheless, I would say that once I pressed the down arrow, my focus is to the completion, and thus enter should mean selection of the completion.
>
> +1

I totally agree on this one.

Francisco

> Alexandre
>

>> On 12 Sep 2010, at 01:30, Francisco Ortiz Peñaloza wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, i'm trying the latest version cause i's tired of waiting for the
>>> switch to the longer list of suggestions. But i don't understand the
>>> following change
>>>
>>> -removed enter to insert a completion
>>>
>>> am i missing something? why do u ppl make this change?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Francisco Ortiz Peñaloza

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing has its own flow."

Re: update to OCompletion

Alexandre Bergel
>>> Nevertheless, I would say that once I pressed the down arrow, my focus is to the completion, and thus enter should mean selection of the completion.
>>
>> +1
>
> I totally agree on this one.

We should also be able to do a mouse click on a list item.

Alexandre

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Every thing has its own flow."

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Update to OCompletion

Romain Robbes-2
> Message: 17
> Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 08:52:27 +0300
> From: Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] update to OCompletion
> To: [hidden email]
>
> This is because when you have a line split into multiple lines, I want Enter to mean new line, not complete. This is particularly the case when you have pseudo-domain specific languages like in Glamour or Mondrian.
>
> Nevertheless, I would say that once I pressed the down arrow, my focus is to the completion, and thus enter should mean selection of the completion.

Wouldn't that be somewhat inconsistent though? You can't select the
first completion with enter, only from the second on.

Cheers,
    Romain

> Cheers,
> Doru

Re: Update to OCompletion

Tudor Girba
Hi Romain,

On 13 Sep 2010, at 11:22, Romain Robbes wrote:

>> Message: 17
>> Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 08:52:27 +0300
>> From: Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] update to OCompletion
>> To: [hidden email]
>>
>> This is because when you have a line split into multiple lines, I want Enter to mean new line, not complete. This is particularly the case when you have pseudo-domain specific languages like in Glamour or Mondrian.
>>
>> Nevertheless, I would say that once I pressed the down arrow, my focus is to the completion, and thus enter should mean selection of the completion.
>>

> Wouldn't that be somewhat inconsistent though? You can't select the
> first completion with enter, only from the second on.

Actually I was thinking of the first arrow down to just transfer the focus from the text to the completion. Thus, the first arrow down would still select the first item and enter would work there.

Cheers,
Doru

> Cheers,
>    Romain
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru

www.tudorgirba.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

12