update to OCompletion

Romain Robbes
Dear Pharo users,

I fixed a few things in OCompletion:

-When completing class names, performance should be improved when
scrolling the list of possibilities.
-Pressing tab when there are no matches in the cache of recently used
entries will bring up the normal completion menu.
-Fixed issue when on rare occasions the selected item in the menu
would be out of sync with the entries and cause a walkback.

As always, OCompletion is available at:

Installer squeaksource project: 'OCompletion'; install: 'OCLoader'

Cheers,
        Romain
--
Romain Robbes
http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

Re: update to OCompletion

Steve Hayes
I'm sorry, I'm a complete novice at Pharo. When I try to "do" that
code fragment I get "Unknown variable: Installer". Can someone tell me
what I'm doing wrong?

On 26/06/2009, at 11:58 PM, Romain Robbes wrote:

> Dear Pharo users,
>
> I fixed a few things in OCompletion:
>
> -When completing class names, performance should be improved when
> scrolling the list of possibilities.
> -Pressing tab when there are no matches in the cache of recently used
> entries will bring up the normal completion menu.
> -Fixed issue when on rare occasions the selected item in the menu
> would be out of sync with the entries and cause a walkback.
>
> As always, OCompletion is available at:
>
> Installer squeaksource project: 'OCompletion'; install: 'OCLoader'
>
> Cheers,
> Romain
> --
> Romain Robbes
> http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

Steve

Re: update to OCompletion

Stéphane Ducasse
steve which image are you using?

You have to install the Installer you can do it that way
        ScriptLoader new installingInstaller (bad name I should change it to
installInstaller).

Stef

On Jun 27, 2009, at 4:53 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:

> I'm sorry, I'm a complete novice at Pharo. When I try to "do" that
> code fragment I get "Unknown variable: Installer". Can someone tell me
> what I'm doing wrong?
>
> On 26/06/2009, at 11:58 PM, Romain Robbes wrote:
>
>> Dear Pharo users,
>>
>> I fixed a few things in OCompletion:
>>
>> -When completing class names, performance should be improved when
>> scrolling the list of possibilities.
>> -Pressing tab when there are no matches in the cache of recently used
>> entries will bring up the normal completion menu.
>> -Fixed issue when on rare occasions the selected item in the menu
>> would be out of sync with the entries and cause a walkback.
>>
>> As always, OCompletion is available at:
>>
>> Installer squeaksource project: 'OCompletion'; install: 'OCLoader'
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Romain
>> --
>> Romain Robbes
>> http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

> Steve

Re: update to OCompletion

Mariano Martinez Peck
Yes. The other option is to always evaluate something like this:

|instClass|
instClass := Smalltalk at: #Installer ifAbsent: [ScriptLoader loadLatestPackage: 'Installer-Core' fromSqueaksource: 'Installer'. Smalltalk at: #Installer].
instClass ss     project: 'OCompletion';     install: 'OCLoader'.

I think is piece of code is self explained. If not, just ask.

Cheers,

Mariano

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
steve which image are you using?

You have to install the Installer you can do it that way
       ScriptLoader new installingInstaller (bad name I should change it to
installInstaller).

Stef

On Jun 27, 2009, at 4:53 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:

> I'm sorry, I'm a complete novice at Pharo. When I try to "do" that
> code fragment I get "Unknown variable: Installer". Can someone tell me
> what I'm doing wrong?
>
> On 26/06/2009, at 11:58 PM, Romain Robbes wrote:
>
>> Dear Pharo users,
>>
>> I fixed a few things in OCompletion:
>>
>> -When completing class names, performance should be improved when
>> scrolling the list of possibilities.
>> -Pressing tab when there are no matches in the cache of recently used
>> entries will bring up the normal completion menu.
>> -Fixed issue when on rare occasions the selected item in the menu
>> would be out of sync with the entries and cause a walkback.
>>
>> As always, OCompletion is available at:
>>
>> Installer squeaksource project: 'OCompletion'; install: 'OCLoader'
>>
>> Cheers,
>>      Romain
>> --
>> Romain Robbes
>> http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

> Steve

Re: update to OCompletion

Damien Cassou
On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Steve
Hayes<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm sorry, I'm a complete novice at Pharo. When I try to "do" that
> code fragment I get "Unknown variable: Installer". Can someone tell me
> what I'm doing wrong?

OCompletion is already included in Pharo images:
http://pharo-project.org/download

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: update to OCompletion

Steve Hayes
Thanks all - easily done with your help.

I am using the 2.8.4 Seaside image.

Steve

On 28/06/2009, at 4:18 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

Yes. The other option is to always evaluate something like this:

|instClass|
instClass := Smalltalk at: #Installer ifAbsent: [ScriptLoader loadLatestPackage: 'Installer-Core' fromSqueaksource: 'Installer'. Smalltalk at: #Installer].
instClass ss     project: 'OCompletion';     install: 'OCLoader'.

I think is piece of code is self explained. If not, just ask.

Cheers,

Mariano

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
steve which image are you using?

You have to install the Installer you can do it that way
       ScriptLoader new installingInstaller (bad name I should change it to
installInstaller).

Stef

On Jun 27, 2009, at 4:53 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:

> I'm sorry, I'm a complete novice at Pharo. When I try to "do" that
> code fragment I get "Unknown variable: Installer". Can someone tell me
> what I'm doing wrong?
>
> On 26/06/2009, at 11:58 PM, Romain Robbes wrote:
>
>> Dear Pharo users,
>>
>> I fixed a few things in OCompletion:
>>
>> -When completing class names, performance should be improved when
>> scrolling the list of possibilities.
>> -Pressing tab when there are no matches in the cache of recently used
>> entries will bring up the normal completion menu.
>> -Fixed issue when on rare occasions the selected item in the menu
>> would be out of sync with the entries and cause a walkback.
>>
>> As always, OCompletion is available at:
>>
>> Installer squeaksource project: 'OCompletion'; install: 'OCLoader'
>>
>> Cheers,
>>      Romain
>> --
>> Romain Robbes
>> http://www.inf.unisi.ch/phd/robbes

> Steve

-----
Steve Hayes

Cogent Consulting
twitter: steve_hayes
Mobile: 0403 902 431

Re: update to OCompletion

Pat Maddox-2
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:52 AM, Damien Cassou<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Steve
> Hayes<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm sorry, I'm a complete novice at Pharo. When I try to "do" that
>> code fragment I get "Unknown variable: Installer". Can someone tell me
>> what I'm doing wrong?
>
> OCompletion is already included in Pharo images:
> http://pharo-project.org/download

Is there an easy way to update my pharo image?  Or do I have to
download a new one, and import all my code into it?

Pat

Re: update to OCompletion

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Pat Maddox <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:52 AM, Damien Cassou<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Steve
> Hayes<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm sorry, I'm a complete novice at Pharo. When I try to "do" that
>> code fragment I get "Unknown variable: Installer". Can someone tell me
>> what I'm doing wrong?
>
> OCompletion is already included in Pharo images:
> http://pharo-project.org/download

Is there an easy way to update my pharo image?  Or do I have to
download a new one, and import all my code into it?

You have 2 things:

1) right button -> system -> software update
This will ONLY update the "pharo core". But all the added packages to Pharo, like dev tools (OB, OCompletion, etc..) won't be updated.

2) Download a new image. This will include the updates for the dev things and 1)

Cheers,

Mariano

Pat

Re: update to OCompletion

Damien Cassou
2009/7/1 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> 1) right button -> system -> software update
> This will ONLY update the "pharo core". But all the added packages to Pharo,
> like dev tools (OB, OCompletion, etc..) won't be updated.

that often does not work because of some overrides in installed packages.

> 2) Download a new image. This will include the updates for the dev things
> and 1)

this is the right way of doing it. Moreover, it forces you to take
care of your code and package it cleanly. Monticello will help you.
With just a few lines, you can automate the customization of your
image and the installation of your packages. Please send me an email
if you want to know more about this. I know of at least one company
where developers start with a new image every morning.

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/7/1 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> 1) right button -> system -> software update
> This will ONLY update the "pharo core". But all the added packages to Pharo,
> like dev tools (OB, OCompletion, etc..) won't be updated.

that often does not work because of some overrides in installed packages.

> 2) Download a new image. This will include the updates for the dev things
> and 1)

this is the right way of doing it. Moreover, it forces you to take
care of your code and package it cleanly. Monticello will help you.
With just a few lines, you can automate the customization of your
image and the installation of your packages. Please send me an email
if you want to know more about this. I know of at least one company
where developers start with a new image every morning.

The problem with this is that perhaps you have objects that you don't want to loose instead of classes (forget classes are also objects haha). In such case, Monticello won't help you. In this case you should do some exporter like SIXX, or something like that.