update to OCompletion

12

update to OCompletion

Romain Robbes-2
Hi All,

I just committed:
http://squeaksource.com/OCompletion/Ocompletion-RomainRobbes.64.mcz

the changes are:

-incorporated Lukas' smart characters algorithm (thanks Lukas!)
-removed enter to insert a completion; only tab works now.
-delayed the switch to eCompletion's completion algorithm, hence the slowdown when using the down arrow happens only after the third time pressing it (after OCompletion's all of OCompletion's menu items).

Cheers,
        Romain

--
Romain Robbes
http://romain.robb.es

Re: update to OCompletion

Alexandre Bergel
Excellent!

Alexandre

On 3 Aug 2010, at 00:38, Romain Robbes wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just committed:
> http://squeaksource.com/OCompletion/Ocompletion-RomainRobbes.64.mcz
>
> the changes are:
>
> -incorporated Lukas' smart characters algorithm (thanks Lukas!)
> -removed enter to insert a completion; only tab works now.
> -delayed the switch to eCompletion's completion algorithm, hence the slowdown when using the down arrow happens only after the third time pressing it (after OCompletion's all of OCompletion's menu items).
>
> Cheers,
> Romain
>
> --
> Romain Robbes
> http://romain.robb.es

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: update to OCompletion

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Romain Robbes wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just committed:
> http://squeaksource.com/OCompletion/Ocompletion-RomainRobbes.64.mcz
>
> the changes are:
>
> -incorporated Lukas' smart characters algorithm (thanks Lukas!)
> -removed enter to insert a completion; only tab works now.
> -delayed the switch to eCompletion's completion algorithm, hence the slowdown when using the down arrow happens only after the third time pressing it (after OCompletion's all of OCompletion's menu items).

Cool. Does it work in Squeak?

Levente

> Cheers,
> Romain
>
> --
> Romain Robbes
> http://romain.robb.es

Re: update to OCompletion

Tudor Girba

On 3 Aug 2010, at 00:38, Romain Robbes wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just committed:
> http://squeaksource.com/OCompletion/Ocompletion-RomainRobbes.64.mcz
>
> the changes are:
>
> -incorporated Lukas' smart characters algorithm (thanks Lukas!)
> -removed enter to insert a completion; only tab works now.
> -delayed the switch to eCompletion's completion algorithm, hence the
> slowdown when using the down arrow happens only after the third time
> pressing it (after OCompletion's all of OCompletion's menu items).

Fantastic!

This greatly improves usability. Actually, you must have changed
something else too because when I hit the third time the down arrow,
it is significantly faster than before. It was sometimes the case that
the image would hang for even tens of seconds, but now everything is
pretty snappy.

Cheers,
Doru

> Cheers,
> Romain
>
> --
> Romain Robbes
> http://romain.robb.es

www.tudorgirba.com

"There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

Re: update to OCompletion

thanks romain (and sorry for my stupid suggestion - good that you corrected it)
Your tools are really important.
Is there a ConfigurationOfOCompletion or just loading OCompletion works?

> Hi All,
>
> I just committed:
> http://squeaksource.com/OCompletion/Ocompletion-RomainRobbes.64.mcz
>
> the changes are:
>
> -incorporated Lukas' smart characters algorithm (thanks Lukas!)
> -removed enter to insert a completion; only tab works now.
> -delayed the switch to eCompletion's completion algorithm, hence the slowdown when using the down arrow happens only after the third time pressing it (after OCompletion's all of OCompletion's menu items).
>
> Cheers,
> Romain
>
> --
> Romain Robbes
> http://romain.robb.es

Re: update to OCompletion

Mariano Martinez Peck
there is. I did it the first time we build PharoDev with metacello

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
thanks romain (and sorry for my stupid suggestion - good that you corrected it)
Your tools are really important.
Is there a ConfigurationOfOCompletion or just loading OCompletion works?

> Hi All,
>
> I just committed:
> http://squeaksource.com/OCompletion/Ocompletion-RomainRobbes.64.mcz
>
> the changes are:
>
> -incorporated Lukas' smart characters algorithm (thanks Lukas!)
> -removed enter to insert a completion; only tab works now.
> -delayed the switch to eCompletion's completion algorithm, hence the slowdown when using the down arrow happens only after the third time pressing it (after OCompletion's all of OCompletion's menu items).
>
> Cheers,
>       Romain
>
> --
> Romain Robbes
> http://romain.robb.es

Re: update to OCompletion

Alexandre Bergel
> This greatly improves usability. Actually, you must have changed something else too because when I hit the third time the down arrow, it is significantly faster than before. It was sometimes the case that the image would hang for even tens of seconds, but now everything is pretty snappy.

Yes, it has something to do with preferences.

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: update to OCompletion

Romain Robbes-2
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 11:20:03 +0200
> From: St?phane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] update to OCompletion
> To: [hidden email]
>
> thanks romain (and sorry for my stupid suggestion - good that you corrected it)
> Your tools are really important.
> Is there a ConfigurationOfOCompletion or just loading OCompletion works?

Yes, Mariano made a ConfigurationOfOCompletion. Otherwise, just loading the latest OCompletion package on top of the old one should work too.

        Romain

--
Romain Robbes
http://romain.robb.es

Re: update to OCompletion

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Romain Robbes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 11:20:03 +0200
> From: St?phane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] update to OCompletion
> To: [hidden email]
>
> thanks romain (and sorry for my stupid suggestion - good that you corrected it)
> Your tools are really important.
> Is there a ConfigurationOfOCompletion or just loading OCompletion works?

Yes, Mariano made a ConfigurationOfOCompletion. Otherwise, just loading the latest OCompletion package on top of the old one should work too.

My conf says you also need Shout and RoelTyper   ;)   but maybe they are optional

       Romain

--
Romain Robbes
http://romain.robb.es

Re: update to OCompletion

Stéphane Ducasse
I have no problem. I ***love*** metacello and the garanty it offers to load packages coherently

Stef

On Aug 3, 2010, at 5:29 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Romain Robbes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Message: 7
> > Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 11:20:03 +0200
> > From: St?phane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] update to OCompletion
> > To: [hidden email]
> >
> > thanks romain (and sorry for my stupid suggestion - good that you corrected it)
> > Your tools are really important.
> > Is there a ConfigurationOfOCompletion or just loading OCompletion works?
>

> Yes, Mariano made a ConfigurationOfOCompletion. Otherwise, just loading the latest OCompletion package on top of the old one should work too.
>

> My conf says you also need Shout and RoelTyper   ;)   but maybe they are optional
>

>        Romain
>
> --
> Romain Robbes
> http://romain.robb.es

Re: update to OCompletion

Romain Robbes-2

> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 00:46:07 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] update to OCompletion
> To: "Pharo Development ([hidden email]
> Development <[hidden email]>)"
> <[hidden email]>
>
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Romain Robbes wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just committed:
>> http://squeaksource.com/OCompletion/Ocompletion-RomainRobbes.64.mcz
>>
>> the changes are:
>>
>> -incorporated Lukas' smart characters algorithm (thanks Lukas!)
>> -removed enter to insert a completion; only tab works now.
>> -delayed the switch to eCompletion's completion algorithm, hence the slowdown when using the down arrow happens only after the third time pressing it (after OCompletion's all of OCompletion's menu items).
>
> Cool. Does it work in Squeak?

Early versions did, but I'm not sure this one does. When I first released it, the Squeak community showed little interest, so
I focused on Pharo.

        Romain

--
Romain Robbes
http://romain.robb.es

Re: update to OCompletion

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Romain Robbes-2 wrote
> Cool. Does it work in Squeak?

Early versions did, but I'm not sure this one does. When I first released it, the Squeak community showed little interest, so
I focused on Pharo.
FWIW, I sorely miss it when working in Squeak.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: update to OCompletion

Tim Mackinnon
Am I missing something here - in a fresh 1.1 one click image if I do:
ConfigurationOfOCompletion project latestVersion load

I get an endless stream of errors:

The method Boolean and:and: has been deprecated.
use and:

Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to cancel the
operation.???????

On 3 Aug 2010, at 16:31, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I have no problem. I ***love*** metacello and the garanty it offers
> to load packages coherently
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 3, 2010, at 5:29 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Romain Robbes <[hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>> Message: 7
>>> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 11:20:03 +0200
>>> From: St?phane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] update to OCompletion
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>>
>>> thanks romain (and sorry for my stupid suggestion - good that you
>>> corrected it)
>>> Your tools are really important.
>>> Is there a ConfigurationOfOCompletion or just loading OCompletion
>>> works?
>>

>> Yes, Mariano made a ConfigurationOfOCompletion. Otherwise, just
>> work too.
>>

>> My conf says you also need Shout and RoelTyper   ;)   but maybe
>> they are optional
>>

>>       Romain
>>
>> --
>> Romain Robbes
>> http://romain.robb.es
>> [hidden email]

Re: update to OCompletion

Tim Mackinnon
If the eCompletion tweaks look good from Lucas' point of view - they
also apply to oCompletion as well - however I noticed that there seem
to be a few additional bugs in oCompletion (at least compared to
eCompletion).

1) If you hilite an expresion and press ) - in eCompletion it
surrounds that selection with the matching characters, OC doesn't seem
2) If you type [ - you get [], but then when you press backspace it
removes the [] as well as an additional character before the [ - which
is not ideal (again eCompletion doesn't do that)

Should I log a bug for these?

On 2 Aug 2010, at 23:38, Romain Robbes wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just committed:
> http://squeaksource.com/OCompletion/Ocompletion-RomainRobbes.64.mcz
>
> the changes are:
>
> -incorporated Lukas' smart characters algorithm (thanks Lukas!)
> -removed enter to insert a completion; only tab works now.
> -delayed the switch to eCompletion's completion algorithm, hence the
> slowdown when using the down arrow happens only after the third time
> pressing it (after OCompletion's all of OCompletion's menu items).
>
> Cheers,
> Romain
>
> --
> Romain Robbes
> http://romain.robb.es

Re: update to OCompletion

Tim Mackinnon
Actually correction on #1 - eCompletion suffers from that one as well
- I'm sure they should both be able to surround a selection with
characters no matter which side of the selection you are on.

Tim

On 4 Aug 2010, at 01:28, Tim Mackinnon wrote:

> If the eCompletion tweaks look good from Lucas' point of view - they
> also apply to oCompletion as well - however I noticed that there
> seem to be a few additional bugs in oCompletion (at least compared
> to eCompletion).
>
> 1) If you hilite an expresion and press ) - in eCompletion it
> surrounds that selection with the matching characters, OC doesn't
> seem to
> 2) If you type [ - you get [], but then when you press backspace it
> removes the [] as well as an additional character before the [ -
> which is not ideal (again eCompletion doesn't do that)
>
> Should I log a bug for these?
>
> On 2 Aug 2010, at 23:38, Romain Robbes wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just committed:
>> http://squeaksource.com/OCompletion/Ocompletion-RomainRobbes.64.mcz
>>
>> the changes are:
>>
>> -incorporated Lukas' smart characters algorithm (thanks Lukas!)
>> -removed enter to insert a completion; only tab works now.
>> -delayed the switch to eCompletion's completion algorithm, hence
>> the slowdown when using the down arrow happens only after the third
>> time pressing it (after OCompletion's all of OCompletion's menu
>> items).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Romain
>>
>> --
>> Romain Robbes
>> http://romain.robb.es
>> [hidden email]

Re: update to OCompletion

Lukas Renggli
> 1) If you hilite an expresion and press ) - in eCompletion it surrounds that selection with the matching characters, OC doesn't seem to

I removed that, because no popular editor I tried does this (Eclipse, TextMate).

Lukas

> 2) If you type [ - you get [], but then when you press backspace it removes the [] as well as an additional character before the [ - which is not ideal (again eCompletion doesn't do that)
>
> Should I log a bug for these?
>
> On 2 Aug 2010, at 23:38, Romain Robbes wrote:
>

> Hi All,
>
> I just committed:
> http://squeaksource.com/OCompletion/Ocompletion-RomainRobbes.64.mcz
>
> the changes are:
>
> -incorporated Lukas' smart characters algorithm (thanks Lukas!)
> -removed enter to insert a completion; only tab works now.
> -delayed the switch to eCompletion's completion algorithm, hence the slowdown when using the down arrow happens only after the third time pressing it (after OCompletion's all of OCompletion's menu items).
>
> Cheers,
>         Romain
>
> --
> Romain Robbes
> http://romain.robb.es

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: update to OCompletion

Romain Robbes-2

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 01:09:25 +0100
> From: Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] update to OCompletion
> To: [hidden email]
>
> Am I missing something here - in a fresh 1.1 one click image if I do:
> ConfigurationOfOCompletion project latestVersion load
>
> I get an endless stream of errors:
>
> The method Boolean and:and: has been deprecated.
> use and:
>
> Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to cancel the
> operation.???????

Which class, in which package, is sending it? I have no senders of #and:and: in my image.

        Romain

--
Romain Robbes
http://romain.robb.es

Re: update to OCompletion

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am I missing something here - in a fresh 1.1 one click image if I do: ConfigurationOfOCompletion project latestVersion load

The problem is the following:

latestVersion  answer the latest version BUT not the ones that are blassed as #development, #broken, etc.

See the method #excludeFromLatestVersion

The latest (and working) version of Ocompletion is in version 1.1.2, which is blassed as #development. Thus, you are probably loading 1.1.1  (last one released).
I like to let versions in development for a while, to detect bugs. And then, blasse those versions as release.

So...if you want to load 1.1.2 explicitly, you can just do:

(ConfigurationOfOCompletion project version: '1.1.1') load

Or

ConfigurationOfOCompletion project lastVersion load

lastVersion doesn't exclude the cases I told you.

Finally, you can always load a baseline. As baselines only have structural inormation, and you are not telling Metacello wich version to load for each package, it will load all the latests version. Thus, if you want to load the very latest versions of all packages, load a baseline. For example:

(ConfigurationOfOCompletion project version: '1.1-baseline') load

Cheers

Mariano

2010/8/4 Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>
That's a great explanation - that clears up a number of things for me - I appreciate that.

I am glad I helped. You can also take a look to the Metacello draft we wrote for Pharo By Example 2. I attach it.

Cheers

Mariano

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 11:20:03 +0200
From: St?phane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

thanks romain (and sorry for my stupid suggestion - good that you corrected it)
Your tools are really important.
Is there a ConfigurationOfOCompletion or just loading OCompletion works?

Yes, Mariano made a ConfigurationOfOCompletion. Otherwise, just loading the latest OCompletion package on top of the old one should work too.

My conf says you also need Shout and RoelTyper   ;)   but maybe they are optional

     Romain

--
Romain Robbes
http://romain.robb.es

Metacello.pdf (299K) Download Attachment
12