updating ports/porting

NorbertHartl
Are there any plans to update the ports for xml parser and Seaside-REST?

Additionally I want to ask what you think about porting the zinc http components to gemstone. I did some tests with the http components and that is very satisfactory. It may not make big of a difference for plain seaside because the rudimentary support for get and post is available in many adapters. But if you make a side step from this than it looks different. Hyper seems to be the most structured code http and mime wise but I can't grok it.
Zinc components is quite good in mime handling and feels similar to the often used apache http client. And it provides a server, too, that I'm using together with seaside for testing.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if these are possible and what of them would come first. Just to coordinate. Then I would know what to do if I find time.

Norbert

Re: updating ports/porting

Dale Henrichs
On 01/28/2011 01:27 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Are there any plans to update the ports for xml parser and
> Seaside-REST?
>
> Additionally I want to ask what you think about porting the zinc http
> components to gemstone. I did some tests with the http components and
> that is very satisfactory. It may not make big of a difference for
> plain seaside because the rudimentary support for get and post is
> available in many adapters. But if you make a side step from this
> than it looks different. Hyper seems to be the most structured code
> http and mime wise but I can't grok it. Zinc components is quite good
> in mime handling and feels similar to the often used apache http
> client. And it provides a server, too, that I'm using together with
> seaside for testing.
>
> Anyway, I wanted to ask if these are possible and what of them would
> come first. Just to coordinate. Then I would know what to do if I
> find time.
>
> Norbert

No plans on the short term.

Right now I am focussing on Seaside3.0 and GemStone3.0. GemStone3.0 is
in beta and is scheduled to be released this summer.

I'm down to two test errors for Seaside3.0 and GemStone3.0 and
GemStone3.0beta3 will probably be released next week, so folks should be
able to start playing with that next week.

I'm also aiming at a GLASS 1.0-beta.8.6 release that will likely
includes fixes for the following bugs:

http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/issues/list?can=2&q=Milestone%3D1.0-beta.8.6

In addition I plan to make some improvements for doing production
upgrades and that means that I will be working with bibliocello ..
upgrading to the latest versions of Seaside3.0 and Seaside-REST and Pier...

In the same vein I will be working on the upgrade path for Seaside3.0
apps from GemStone2.4.4.1 to GemStone3.0 again working with bibliocello.

I've seen references to Zinc and I've figured that it would be a good
idea to port it to GemStone, but just haven't found the time ... It
probably makes sens to to add a Feature request to the glassdb issues
list so we can follow progress....

Dale