using latest iceberg with Pharo 6.1 / 7.0

using latest iceberg with Pharo 6.1 / 7.0

Sanjay Minni
If I want to use iceberg then should I first update pharo image as mentioned
on github iceberg homepage (https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg)

for 6.1: should I run the script as given on the homepage or is there an
easier way to upgrade (i.e. some UI - point and click) ?

for 7.0: its mentioned to clone iceberg and pull changes
   - i run iceberg ...
   - dialog opens:repositories - there is a line "iceberg ... local
repositories missing".
    how should i proceed from here ?

     I tried as follows (not sure if that is right
         - double clicked on iceberg ... dialog opened: "working copy of
iceberg" ...
            all lines have "local repository missing"
         - clicked icon Repair
         - in the dialog - selected github.com, owner:pharo-vcs,
project:iceberg as per below
       <http://forum.world.st/file/t368721/iceberg01.jpg>
         - then got status "uptodate" and did a fetch ... finally dialog as
below
        <http://forum.world.st/file/t368721/iceberg02.jpg>

      ok ... then what do i do next ?

regards
Sanjay

-----
---
Regards, Sanjay

cheers,
Sanjay

Re: using latest iceberg with Pharo 6.1 / 7.0

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 2 Nov 2018, at 18:24, Sanjay Minni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If I want to use iceberg then should I first update pharo image as mentioned
> on github iceberg homepage (https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg)

If want to *use* Iceberg instead of *develop* Iceberg internals, I don't think you have to do anything, especially in Pharo 7 a stable version is already present. I assume the same in Pharo 6.1

> for 6.1: should I run the script as given on the homepage or is there an
> easier way to upgrade (i.e. some UI - point and click) ?
>
> for 7.0: its mentioned to clone iceberg and pull changes
>   - i run iceberg ...
>   - dialog opens:repositories - there is a line "iceberg ... local
> repositories missing".
>    how should i proceed from here ?
>
>     I tried as follows (not sure if that is right
>         - double clicked on iceberg ... dialog opened: "working copy of
> iceberg" ...
>            all lines have "local repository missing"
>         - clicked icon Repair
>         - in the dialog - selected github.com, owner:pharo-vcs,
> project:iceberg as per below
>       <http://forum.world.st/file/t368721/iceberg01.jpg>
>         - then got status "uptodate" and did a fetch ... finally dialog as
> below
>        <http://forum.world.st/file/t368721/iceberg02.jpg>
>
>      ok ... then what do i do next ?

I would say everything is loaded ...

> regards
> Sanjay
>

> -----
> ---
> Regards, Sanjay

Re: using latest iceberg with Pharo 6.1 / 7.0

Guillermo Polito

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 6:25 PM Sanjay Minni <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I want to use iceberg then should I first update pharo image as mentioned
on github iceberg homepage (https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg)

I'd also insist here with Sven. Could you please explain better what are you trying to accomplish?

for 6.1: should I run the script as given on the homepage or is there an
easier way to upgrade (i.e. some UI - point and click) ?

This is ok, and this will update latest release (not latest dev version).
Usually from a user perspective yor may want only latest release and that's ok.

for 7.0: its mentioned to clone iceberg and pull changes
   - i run iceberg ...
   - dialog opens:repositories - there is a line "iceberg ... local
repositories missing".
    how should i proceed from here ?
[SNIP]

Actually, here what you were doing is loading latest version of iceberg to contribute to it.
If you want to use Iceberg, you need to do nothing :) The latest iceberg version is already in Pharo7 and you had nothing to do.

Cheers,
Guille

Re: using latest iceberg with Pharo 6.1 / 7.0

Sanjay Minni
Thanks Sven, Guille,

I am only looking at iceberg for development / loading of a software project
being developed in Pharo (i.e. not develop iceberg itself ... if the
question was on iceberg development maybe I would have posted in
Pharo-developers group ;) ). so it seems there is nothing to be done to
"use" iceberg.

I have some questions ... pardon if they are naive but I am pretty green in
the pharo environment.

Question 1: This is on the sequence for cloning a repository and loading the
project from bitbucket with a Metacello configuration defined. -
I have cloned on pharo 6.1... after that do I have to load the project /
packages as a separate step ?
after cloning, iceberg shows as follows
     Name             CurrBranch       loaded version           Status
    myProject        development    No Package Loaded    not loaded

Question 2: what are the steps to pull the latest version of the project and
overwrite the existing package versions already loaded

Question 3: Are class side initialize scripts triggerred on first time load
and on reload

Question 4: the project has several external files .jpegs, .css .json etc,
... are they also pulled / pushed alongwith pharo code thru iceberg

Question 5: how do I update iceberg 1.4.0 in pharo 6.1 image / 7.0 image

Question 6: is there documentation / guide available for iceberg like the
monticello / metacello guide in Deep Into Pharo

thanks
Sanjay

Guillermo Polito wrote
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 6:25 PM Sanjay Minni &lt;

> sm@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> If I want to use iceberg then should I first update pharo image as
>> mentioned
>> on github iceberg homepage (https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg)
>>

> I'd also insist here with Sven. Could you please explain better what are
> you trying to accomplish?
>

>> for 6.1: should I run the script as given on the homepage or is there an
>> easier way to upgrade (i.e. some UI - point and click) ?
>>

> This is ok, and this will update latest release (not latest dev version).
> Usually from a user perspective yor may want only latest release and
> that's
> ok.
>

>> for 7.0: its mentioned to clone iceberg and pull changes
>>    - i run iceberg ...
>>    - dialog opens:repositories - there is a line "iceberg ... local
>> repositories missing".
>>     how should i proceed from here ?
>>
> [SNIP]
>
> Actually, here what you were doing is loading latest version of iceberg to
> contribute to it.
> If you want to use Iceberg, you need to do nothing :) The latest iceberg
> version is already in Pharo7 and you had nothing to do.
>
> Cheers,
> Guille

-----
---