classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

using pillar and/or pillarhub

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

I wanted to experiment with Pillar however I'm not sure what to use to edit it. I was expecting some kind of editor with preview directly in Pharo but there is nothing. The next best thing I found was PillarHub based on Ace editor, however it depends on Mozilla Persona. Is such thing needed? If I'm running it locally why would I need to login somewhere? You don't log in to IDE when you want to program. Also such thing requires internet connection and is all extra nuisance when used on localhost. Is there a way to disable it?

Do you use this setup, or are you all writing it in vim/emacs and only compile it once in a while?

Thanks,
Peter

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: using pillar and/or pillarhub

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 27 Oct 2014, at 23:28, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to experiment with Pillar however I'm not sure what to use to edit it. I was expecting some kind of editor with preview directly in Pharo but there is nothing. The next best thing I found was PillarHub based on Ace editor, however it depends on Mozilla Persona. Is such thing needed? If I'm running it locally why would I need to login somewhere? You don't log in to IDE when you want to program. Also such thing requires internet connection and is all extra nuisance when used on localhost. Is there a way to disable it?
>
> Do you use this setup, or are you all writing it in vim/emacs and only compile it once in a while?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

You can write Pillar using any tool, it is just text.

There is also http://www.humane-assessment.com/blog/writing-pillar-books-with-the-gtinspector

And this http://pillarhub.pharocloud.com

Sven

Reply | Threaded
|

stepharo
In reply to this post by Peter Uhnak

On 27/10/14 17:28, Peter Uhnák wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to experiment with Pillar however I'm not sure what to use to
> edit it. I was expecting some kind of editor with preview directly in
> Pharo but there is nothing. The next best thing I found was PillarHub
> based on Ace editor, however it depends on Mozilla Persona. Is such
> thing needed? If I'm running it locally why would I need to login
> somewhere? You don't log in to IDE when you want to program. Also such
> thing requires internet connection and is all extra nuisance when used
> on localhost. Is there a way to disable it?
>
> Do you use this setup, or are you all writing it in vim/emacs and only
> compile it once in a while?

I write everything in emacs, mate, texshop and I compile from time to time.

>
> Thanks,
> Peter
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
I personally use emacs , git , github and gitbook.io

There is a pillar preview for GT tools (as Sven mentioned), but I have not tested thoroughly . So maybe editing pillar inside Pharo is not that far away. Overall pillar syntax is very simple and quite small so it should not be that hard to implement for Pharo. Afterall Pillar is implemented in Pharo. But still Pharo cannot compete with emacs for editing text . Which is fine because nothing stops me from using both Pharo and Emacs and I love both tools very much. 

My dream would be not to use Pillar at all and Pharo instead have a documentation tool like LibreOffice that allow you to export to Pillar files. Why meta-tag or code when you can design ? ;) 

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 12:38 AM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I wanted to experiment with Pillar however I'm not sure what to use to edit it. I was expecting some kind of editor with preview directly in Pharo but there is nothing. The next best thing I found was PillarHub based on Ace editor, however it depends on Mozilla Persona. Is such thing needed? If I'm running it locally why would I need to login somewhere? You don't log in to IDE when you want to program. Also such thing requires internet connection and is all extra nuisance when used on localhost. Is there a way to disable it?

Do you use this setup, or are you all writing it in vim/emacs and only compile it once in a while?

Thanks,
Peter

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Uhnak
Thank you for all the answers, I will try more approaches then and the GT sounds promising. But the GitBook looks especially nice. :)

Peter

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 12:19 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
I personally use emacs , git , github and gitbook.io

There is a pillar preview for GT tools (as Sven mentioned), but I have not tested thoroughly . So maybe editing pillar inside Pharo is not that far away. Overall pillar syntax is very simple and quite small so it should not be that hard to implement for Pharo. Afterall Pillar is implemented in Pharo. But still Pharo cannot compete with emacs for editing text . Which is fine because nothing stops me from using both Pharo and Emacs and I love both tools very much. 

My dream would be not to use Pillar at all and Pharo instead have a documentation tool like LibreOffice that allow you to export to Pillar files. Why meta-tag or code when you can design ? ;) 

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 12:38 AM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,
Peter