using spotter to navigate through the file system

using spotter to navigate through the file system

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Here is a little post that describes how you can use GTSpotter to navigate through the file system:

If you combine this with the GTInspector ability of allowing you interact with the file references, you get a pretty powerful tool:

This is probably the simplest 3-minute demo you can give to a newcomer :).

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: using spotter to navigate through the file system

kilon.alios
Really impressive stuff. Looks like GTSpotter does not understand "~" for home folder. It also does not preview images as gtinspector can and also fails to preview text files that dont have a .txt extension like for example .profile again GTInspector has no problem previewing.

Is it possible to modify the contents of a text file from inside GTInspector and save that file ?

"Every thing has its own flow"

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:38 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
Really impressive stuff. Looks like GTSpotter does not understand "~" for home folder. It also does not preview images

Images should appear fine. What images are you missing?

as gtinspector can and also fails to preview text files that dont have a .txt extension like for example .profile again GTInspector has no problem previewing.

This should work as well. Could you point me to the file?

Is it possible to modify the contents of a text file from inside GTInspector and save that file ?

You could, but the problem is that at this point it is too expensive to show the contents of large files, so we are only showing trimmed contents and that is why you do not have the option of saving right now. This will change in Pharo 5.

In the meantime, you can add a simple presentation that allows you to change the file in your packages :)

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: using spotter to navigate through the file system

kilon.alios

"Images should appear fine. What images are you missing?"

hmm it looks like I am missing the preview panel altogether. Is this committed to Pharo 4 ? I got the latest Pharo 4 image just now.

"In the meantime, you can add a simple presentation that allows you to change the file in your packages :)"

ok then I will look into that.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:59 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

"Images should appear fine. What images are you missing?"

hmm it looks like I am missing the preview panel altogether. Is this committed to Pharo 4 ? I got the latest Pharo 4 image just now.

No, it's not yet. I made some changes recently and they are not yet in Pharo :). You can find them in the moose image.

"In the meantime, you can add a simple presentation that allows you to change the file in your packages :)"

ok then I will look into that.

Ok.

Doru

--