value:children+ -> rendering relative to containing component

value:children+ -> rendering relative to containing component

sergio_101-2
hi all..

say i have a component.. call "stories"

this has many children:

"story 1"
"story 2"
"story 3"

so, all i want to do is list all the stories in the component..

so, stories would have:

+value:children+

everything works just fine..

so.. now, i'd like to embed this component in another page..

i end up with a page with this:

some text.. blah blah .. here is my list of stories:
+stories+

the problem is, it wants to rembed value:children with respect to the
current structure (which, according to the docs, is what it should
do)..

but i would rather have the the children render relative to the
containing structure..

i hope this all makes sense ..

anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

--
----
peace,

http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: value:children+ -> rendering relative to containing component

Nick
Hi Sergio,

but i would rather have the the children render relative to the
containing structure..

If I understand correctly you want to to be able to display the children of an arbitrary structure. I'm not sure Pier supports this directly. The closest I can see is PBPostTicker - but obviously that's only for blog posts.

Perhaps I've missed something obvious and someone else can dive in with the solution. Failing that it should be straightforward to create a PRWidget derived class with does what you need perhaps starting with PBPostTicker and simplifying.

Nick

Re: value:children+ -> rendering relative to containing component

John Borden
Hi Sergio - I've seen similar behavior with the table-of-contents - if a child page has this, and it is embedded in a parent page, the TOC will list the parent page when viewing it there.

Here's an example:

Thanks,
John