versioning

12

versioning

Johan Brichau-2
Guys,

I would appreciate we do *not* change existing published versions in the ConfigurationOfSeaside3.
Version 3.1.0 was published as stable. It is bad practice to just upgrade a package version in there.

If you want to use 3.1.1, use that one. It has not been fixed yet.
But please do not break other people's workflow by sneaking in changes to published versions.

thanks
Johan_______________________________________________
seaside-dev mailing list

Re: versioning

Tobias Pape
On 16.03.2014, at 17:59, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I would appreciate we do *not* change existing published versions in the ConfigurationOfSeaside3.
> Version 3.1.0 was published as stable. It is bad practice to just upgrade a package version in there.

Yes. Please do not change a version that was released.
That bit me hard a couple of times already.

> If you want to use 3.1.1, use that one. It has not been fixed yet.
> But please do not break other people's workflow by sneaking in changes to published versions.

+1

Best
        -Tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: versioning

philippeback
+1

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 16.03.2014, at 17:59, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I would appreciate we do *not* change existing published versions in the ConfigurationOfSeaside3.
> Version 3.1.0 was published as stable. It is bad practice to just upgrade a package version in there.

Yes. Please do not change a version that was released.
That bit me hard a couple of times already.

> If you want to use 3.1.1, use that one. It has not been fixed yet.
> But please do not break other people's workflow by sneaking in changes to published versions.

+1

Best
        -Tobias

Re: versioning

Stephan Eggermont-3
Johan wrote
>I would appreciate we do *not* change existing published versions in the ConfigurationOfSeaside3.
>Version 3.1.0 was published as stable. It is bad practice to just upgrade a package version in there.

Sorry, that was me. No clear separation of the 5 dimensions and different versioning strategies in
the different projects, I’m afraid. I’ll try to remember.

Stephan_______________________________________________
seaside-dev mailing list

Re: versioning

Johan Brichau-2
In any case, I also want to suggest to release version 3.1.1 by the end of the month.

There are a good number of bugfixes and improvements [1], the jQuery binding got upgraded and the Gemstone port has just a few dangling items I can probably fix by then.

Philippe, I think it would be good to also have the 'change' to JSON canvas in there [2]. What do you think?
I have been writing a number of integrations that use the new JSON canvas and I think the 'new' behaviour is definitely more appropriate. I also believe it's backwards compatible but I will check and let you know.

[1] https://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Seaside311Changelog
[2] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2014-February/030622.html

Johan

On 17 Mar 2014, at 11:01, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16.03.2014, at 17:59, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> I would appreciate we do *not* change existing published versions in the ConfigurationOfSeaside3.
>> Version 3.1.0 was published as stable. It is bad practice to just upgrade a package version in there.
>
> Yes. Please do not change a version that was released.
> That bit me hard a couple of times already.
>

>> If you want to use 3.1.1, use that one. It has not been fixed yet.
>> But please do not break other people's workflow by sneaking in changes to published versions.
>
> +1
>
> Best
> -Tobias

Re: versioning

Tobias Pape
On 17.03.2014, at 17:48, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In any case, I also want to suggest to release version 3.1.1 by the end of the month.
>
> There are a good number of bugfixes and improvements [1], the jQuery binding got upgraded and the Gemstone port has just a few dangling items I can probably fix by then.
>
> Philippe, I think it would be good to also have the 'change' to JSON canvas in there [2]. What do you think?
> I have been writing a number of integrations that use the new JSON canvas and I think the 'new' behaviour is definitely more appropriate. I also believe it's backwards compatible but I will check and let you know.
>
> [1] https://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Seaside311Changelog
> [2] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2014-February/030622.html

And I haven't tested on Squeak yet :(
I am most embarrassed…

Best
        -Tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: versioning

DiegoLont
Hi Johan,

Sorry for committing to the released version.

Philippe,

If you commit this change, can you please also test Magritte-Json? If these tests are green too, I think this change will do fine.

Cheers,
Diego

On 17 Mar 2014, at 17:48, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In any case, I also want to suggest to release version 3.1.1 by the end of the month.
>
> There are a good number of bugfixes and improvements [1], the jQuery binding got upgraded and the Gemstone port has just a few dangling items I can probably fix by then.
>
> Philippe, I think it would be good to also have the 'change' to JSON canvas in there [2]. What do you think?
> I have been writing a number of integrations that use the new JSON canvas and I think the 'new' behaviour is definitely more appropriate. I also believe it's backwards compatible but I will check and let you know.
>
> [1] https://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Seaside311Changelog
> [2] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2014-February/030622.html
>
> Johan
>
> On 17 Mar 2014, at 11:01, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 16.03.2014, at 17:59, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> I would appreciate we do *not* change existing published versions in the ConfigurationOfSeaside3.
>>> Version 3.1.0 was published as stable. It is bad practice to just upgrade a package version in there.
>>
>> Yes. Please do not change a version that was released.
>> That bit me hard a couple of times already.
>>

>>> If you want to use 3.1.1, use that one. It has not been fixed yet.
>>> But please do not break other people's workflow by sneaking in changes to published versions.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Best
>> -Tobias

Re: versioning

Philippe Marschall
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Diego Lont <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Johan,
>
> Sorry for committing to the released version.
>
> Philippe,
>
> If you commit this change, can you please also test Magritte-Json? If these tests are green too, I think this change will do fine.

Will do.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: versioning

Philippe Marschall
On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In any case, I also want to suggest to release version 3.1.1 by the end of the month.
>
> There are a good number of bugfixes and improvements [1], the jQuery binding got upgraded and the Gemstone port has just a few dangling items I can probably fix by then.
>
> Philippe, I think it would be good to also have the 'change' to JSON canvas in there [2]. What do you think?
> I have been writing a number of integrations that use the new JSON canvas and I think the 'new' behaviour is definitely more appropriate. I also believe it's backwards compatible but I will check and let you know.

Sounds like a plan.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: versioning

John O'Keefe
Is there any way to lock down a version in Metacello so this can't happen? This would seem to be a critical capability of a version control system.

John

John O'Keefe [|], CTO/Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
Skype: john_okeefe2     Mobile:  +1 919 417-3181 (Business hours USA Eastern Time zone (GMT -5))
[hidden email]
http://www.instantiations.com
VA Smalltalk...Onward and Upward!

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In any case, I also want to suggest to release version 3.1.1 by the end of the month.
>
> There are a good number of bugfixes and improvements [1], the jQuery binding got upgraded and the Gemstone port has just a few dangling items I can probably fix by then.
>
> Philippe, I think it would be good to also have the 'change' to JSON canvas in there [2]. What do you think?
> I have been writing a number of integrations that use the new JSON canvas and I think the 'new' behaviour is definitely more appropriate. I also believe it's backwards compatible but I will check and let you know.

Sounds like a plan.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: versioning

Johan Brichau-2
Hi John,

In Metacello, the ConfigurationOf is just a Smalltalk class and the versions are defined as just methods, so nothing prohibits anybody from changing a 'released' version.

Maybe the tools that allow to manipulate the configuration (MetacelloToolbox, ...) have some protection built-in, but then the way we organized the version methods in the Seaside configuration do not work well with these tools.

So, we can only rely on the convention that a published version should not be changed (except for bugfixes to the configuration itself). Only versions tagged as #development can have the package versions changed. Maybe I should add this to the developer guidelines ;-)

Johan

On 18 Mar 2014, at 15:02, John O'Keefe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any way to lock down a version in Metacello so this can't happen? This would seem to be a critical capability of a version control system.
>
> John
>
> John O'Keefe [|], CTO/Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
> Skype: john_okeefe2     Mobile:  +1 919 417-3181 (Business hours USA Eastern Time zone (GMT -5))
> [hidden email]
> http://www.instantiations.com
> VA Smalltalk...Onward and Upward!
>

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > In any case, I also want to suggest to release version 3.1.1 by the end of the month.
> >
> > There are a good number of bugfixes and improvements [1], the jQuery binding got upgraded and the Gemstone port has just a few dangling items I can probably fix by then.
> >
> > Philippe, I think it would be good to also have the 'change' to JSON canvas in there [2]. What do you think?
> > I have been writing a number of integrations that use the new JSON canvas and I think the 'new' behaviour is definitely more appropriate. I also believe it's backwards compatible but I will check and let you know.
>
> Sounds like a plan.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: versioning

Philippe Marschall
On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In any case, I also want to suggest to release version 3.1.1 by the end of the month.
>
> There are a good number of bugfixes and improvements [1], the jQuery binding got upgraded and the Gemstone port has just a few dangling items I can probably fix by then.
>
> Philippe, I think it would be good to also have the 'change' to JSON canvas in there [2]. What do you think?
> I have been writing a number of integrations that use the new JSON canvas and I think the 'new' behaviour is definitely more appropriate. I also believe it's backwards compatible but I will check and let you know.
>
> [1] https://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Seaside311Changelog
> [2] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2014-February/030622.html

Uhm, when trying to commit I'm getting the following error

HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 20:16:45 GMT

Unknown token type

I double checked and my username and password are correct (work in the
web interface). Where can I get SmalltakHub support? pharo-dev?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: versioning

Johan Brichau-2

On 17 Mar 2014, at 18:15, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And I haven't tested on Squeak yet :(
> I am most embarrassed…

Hi Tobias,

You can find the latest build status on Squeak here:

https://travis-ci.org/glassdb/Seaside31/

cheers!
Johan_______________________________________________
seaside-dev mailing list

Re: versioning

Philippe Marschall
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Philippe Marschall
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> In any case, I also want to suggest to release version 3.1.1 by the end of the month.
>>
>> There are a good number of bugfixes and improvements [1], the jQuery binding got upgraded and the Gemstone port has just a few dangling items I can probably fix by then.
>>
>> Philippe, I think it would be good to also have the 'change' to JSON canvas in there [2]. What do you think?
>> I have been writing a number of integrations that use the new JSON canvas and I think the 'new' behaviour is definitely more appropriate. I also believe it's backwards compatible but I will check and let you know.
>>
>> [1] https://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Seaside311Changelog
>> [2] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2014-February/030622.html
>
> Uhm, when trying to commit I'm getting the following error
>
> HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 20:16:45 GMT
>
> Unknown token type
>
> I double checked and my username and password are correct (work in the
> web interface). Where can I get SmalltakHub support? pharo-dev?

Still not working.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: versioning

Johan Brichau-2

> On 23 Mar 2014, at 15:10, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Still not working.

Have you got feedback from someone operating smalltalkhub?

Johan_______________________________________________
seaside-dev mailing list

Re: versioning

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
I can't really help, but I see that Philippe did save MC commits to StHub as recently as late Februari. Assuming he did not change his password, and given the fact that he can log in to the website part, I don't think the problem is directly related to authentication. Maybe it is authorization related ?

What version name did you try to save where ?

I see that you don't have any personal repositories, maybe you could make one to see if that works ?

On 23 Mar 2014, at 17:34, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23 Mar 2014, at 15:10, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Still not working.
>
> Have you got feedback from someone operating smalltalkhub?
>
> Johan_______________________________________________
> seaside-dev mailing list

Re: versioning

Philippe Marschall
On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can't really help, but I see that Philippe did save MC commits to StHub as recently as late Februari. Assuming he did not change his password, and given the fact that he can log in to the website part, I don't think the problem is directly related to authentication. Maybe it is authorization related ?
>
> What version name did you try to save where ?

Seaside-JSON-Core-pmm.27.mcz

> I see that you don't have any personal repositories, maybe you could make one to see if that works ?

Doesn't help either, same error. The request looks like this:

PUT /mc/Seaside/Seaside31/main/Seaside-JSON-Core-pmm.27.mcz HTTP/1.1
Connection: close
Accept: */*

And this is the response:

HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 21:24:59 GMT
Server: Zinc HTTP Components 1.0
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Connection: close

Unknown token type

Cheers
Philippe

Re: versioning

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
I don't know, but maybe StHub tries to be too clever and has trouble with the already existing version 27 by another author:

http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Seaside/Seaside31/versions/Seaside-JSON-Core-DiegoLont.27

BTW, can you save inside your test project ? I see it is (still) empty...

On 23 Mar 2014, at 22:31, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I can't really help, but I see that Philippe did save MC commits to StHub as recently as late Februari. Assuming he did not change his password, and given the fact that he can log in to the website part, I don't think the problem is directly related to authentication. Maybe it is authorization related ?
>>
>> What version name did you try to save where ?
>
> Seaside-JSON-Core-pmm.27.mcz
>
>> I see that you don't have any personal repositories, maybe you could make one to see if that works ?
>
> Doesn't help either, same error. The request looks like this:
>
> PUT /mc/Seaside/Seaside31/main/Seaside-JSON-Core-pmm.27.mcz HTTP/1.1
> Connection: close
> Accept: */*
>
> And this is the response:
>
> HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 21:24:59 GMT
> Server: Zinc HTTP Components 1.0
> Vary: Accept-Encoding
> Connection: close
>
> Unknown token type
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: versioning

Philippe Marschall
On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 11:37 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know, but maybe StHub tries to be too clever and has trouble with the already existing version 27 by another author:
>
> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Seaside/Seaside31/versions/Seaside-JSON-Core-DiegoLont.27

We have Seaside-Core-StephanEggermont.809 and Seaside-Core-pmm.809
which worked fine.

> BTW, can you save inside your test project ? I see it is (still) empty...

No, I can't save there either. I'm getting the same error.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: versioning

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
I asked on the Pharo-dev mailing list

On 24 Mar 2014, at 07:57, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 11:37 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don't know, but maybe StHub tries to be too clever and has trouble with the already existing version 27 by another author:
>>
>> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Seaside/Seaside31/versions/Seaside-JSON-Core-DiegoLont.27
>
> We have Seaside-Core-StephanEggermont.809 and Seaside-Core-pmm.809
> which worked fine.
>
>> BTW, can you save inside your test project ? I see it is (still) empty...
>
> No, I can't save there either. I'm getting the same error.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe
12