vested interest in PharoJS?

Siemen Baader
Hi all,

Is anyone else interested in PharoJS and making it mature for their own commercial mobile and single page web app (and node.js) development?

I think it has a huge potential because it brings the browser runtime and many libraries and online services from the JS world to us Smalltalkers while letting us keep our agile development and good CS practices. But it does not yet have the necessary features and documentation to work smoothly.

-- Siemen

Re: vested interest in PharoJS?

kilon.alios
from my extremely limited understanding about web dev, Seaside if my memory serves me correctly it integrate JS/ HTML/ CSS . IT has many great features, its mature and well documented. Most likely most existing pharo web dev frameworks do this as well.

PharoJS is definitely a very cool idea, but its a big project none the less , so it will take some time for it to get there. Assuming devs contribute to it, the massive difference between "I want" and "I make".

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 12:47 PM Siemen Baader <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Is anyone else interested in PharoJS and making it mature for their own commercial mobile and single page web app (and node.js) development?

I think it has a huge potential because it brings the browser runtime and many libraries and online services from the JS world to us Smalltalkers while letting us keep our agile development and good CS practices. But it does not yet have the necessary features and documentation to work smoothly.

-- Siemen

Re: vested interest in PharoJS?

Brad Selfridge
I'm very interested in it as I'm programming in Node.js and Typescript as we speak. However, I so busy I'm having a hard time just keeping up with the PharoJS progress.

Brad Selfridge

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
from my extremely limited understanding about web dev, Seaside if my memory serves me correctly it integrate JS/ HTML/ CSS . IT has many great features, its mature and well documented. Most likely most existing pharo web dev frameworks do this as well.

Yes, it is good. But all the state is on the server, so it is not much help for an in-browser web app. A thin client model rather than a fat client that has a very responsive UI and also works well with interrupted connectivity as is often the case with mobile. So not really my use case.

PharoJS is definitely a very cool idea, but its a big project none the less , so it will take some time for it to get there. Assuming devs contribute to it, the massive difference between "I want" and "I make".

Exactly. It would be cool if we could unite a few competent people with self-interest to help the project forward. I have this self-interest, but not the skills (or time to acquire them) to do it alone. Have tried ;)

-- Siemen

-- Siemen

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Brad Selfridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm very interested in it as I'm programming in Node.js and Typescript as we
speak. However, I so busy I'm having a hard time just keeping up with the
PharoJS progress.

Would you be able to use PharoJS in your (future?) projects and save time in a way that would justify you investing time into improving PharoJS or participate in the community in other ways?

-- Siemen

-----
Brad Selfridge

Re: [Pharo-dev] vested interest in PharoJS?

Siemen Baader
Very cool, Norbert. I have been watching what you are doing at 2denker and thought you might be interested ;)

What is holding you back - do you need more from PharoJS before starting to use it commercially, or are you waiting for a (paid) project before you can start?

-- Siemen

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
I thought I responded already. We are interested in pharoJS. We developed stuff with amber but stopped using it. We have one app in the app store with ionic and amber and I'd like to do another one with pharoJS. Additionally I think that combining pharoJS with electron could be a nice thing to have in order to create desktop apps. And finally I was shortly researching native callouts from javascript with javascript core on ios and it seems you can do pharo code, transpile to javascript that calls javascript functions which are OS-native functions.

Norbert

> Am 14.06.2017 um 11:46 schrieb Siemen Baader <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Is anyone else interested in PharoJS and making it mature for their own commercial mobile and single page web app (and node.js) development?
>
> I think it has a huge potential because it brings the browser runtime and many libraries and online services from the JS world to us Smalltalkers while letting us keep our agile development and good CS practices. But it does not yet have the necessary features and documentation to work smoothly.
>
> -- Siemen

Re: vested interest in PharoJS?

askoh
Administrator
There seem to be some interesting work with SqueakJS by Craig Latta.
https://thiscontext.com/

I hope Smalltalk of all dialects can get together to develop a killer web development environment.

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh