video in Pharo

laurent laffont
Hi,

Is it possible to play a video in Pharo ? How ?  I'm thinking about writing a Pharo interface to Pharocasts, maybe integrated to ProfStef. It can be funny.

Laurent

Re: video in Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
there was a mpeg plugin in squeak but I do not know its status.

Stef

On Jan 28, 2010, at 10:02 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to play a video in Pharo ? How ?  I'm thinking about writing a Pharo interface to Pharocasts, maybe integrated to ProfStef. It can be funny.
>
> Laurent

Re: video in Pharo

johnmci
Take the video/audio player classes from Sophie, that will give you at the high end
quicktime audio/video on mac/pc.. Degrading down to mpeg or ogg on mac/windows/linux

On 2010-01-28, at 1:02 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to play a video in Pharo ? How ?  I'm thinking about writing a Pharo interface to Pharocasts, maybe integrated to ProfStef. It can be funny.

Laurent

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: video in Pharo

johnmci

On 2010-01-28, at 1:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> there was a mpeg plugin in squeak but I do not know its status.
>
> Stef

That won't be offered in the 64bit variations of squeak

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: video in Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
true I remember the point made by david about the effort required by the port.

Stef

On Jan 28, 2010, at 10:54 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> On 2010-01-28, at 1:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> there was a mpeg plugin in squeak but I do not know its status.
>>
>> Stef
>

> That won't be offered in the 64bit variations of squeak

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: video in Pharo

Marcus Denker-4

On Jan 29, 2010, at 9:14 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> true I remember the point made by david about the effort required by the port.

And what do you want with an old mpeg decoder anyway? The world moved on the last 10 years...

        Marcus

> Stef
>
> On Jan 28, 2010, at 10:54 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>

>> On 2010-01-28, at 1:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> there was a mpeg plugin in squeak but I do not know its status.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>

>> That won't be offered in the 64bit variations of squeak
>>
>> --
>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: video in Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
yes
marcus don't be negative we do pharo to think about the future. :)

>> true I remember the point made by david about the effort required by the port.
>>

> And what do you want with an old mpeg decoder anyway? The world moved on the last 10 years...
>

> Marcus
>
>> Stef

>>> That won't be offered in the 64bit variations of squeak
>>>
>>> --
>>> ===========================================================================
>>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
>>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: video in Pharo

Hilaire Fernandes-4
I remember about the development of a Gstreamer plugin in 2008.
Don't know its status now.

Hilaire

laurent laffont a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to play a video in Pharo ? How ?  I'm thinking about
> writing a Pharo interface to Pharocasts, maybe integrated to ProfStef.
> It can be funny.
>
> Laurent

Re: video in Pharo

johnmci
I did the GStreamer plugin for Etoys ala OLPC

The problem is you can't install the GStreamer  software on a mac in a user friendly manner. Having
to drop to the terminal session, install MacPorts by doing sudo ports install gstreamer just won't cut it.

Reusing the audio/video framework we did for Sophie would be a far better thing. It has a set of
abstract classes to deal with audio, video, audio/video.  Concrete classes then provide the ability to
play media from a set point, with controls to play/stop/rewind.  Audio uses the Squeak sound system
and various decoders, video would work it's way thru quicktime, mpegplayer, oggplayer.

You just fed it a URL, and cmds, like play...

John M McIntosh a écrit :
> I did the GStreamer plugin for Etoys ala OLPC

Ah right!

> The problem is you can't install the GStreamer  software on a mac in a user friendly manner. Having
> to drop to the terminal session, install MacPorts by doing sudo ports install gstreamer just won't cut it.
>
> Reusing the audio/video framework we did for Sophie would be a far better thing. It has a set of
> abstract classes to deal with audio, video, audio/video.  Concrete classes then provide the ability to
> play media from a set point, with controls to play/stop/rewind.  Audio uses the Squeak sound system
> and various decoders, video would work it's way thru quicktime, mpegplayer, oggplayer.

Just curious as I don't have time now to look deeply on that:
Is it available as an external package one can load in a Pharo image?
Does it requiere VM magics?

Hilaire

Re: video in Pharo

johnmci
> Just curious as I don't have time now to look deeply on that:
> Is it available as an external package one can load in a Pharo image?
> Does it requiere VM magics?
>
> Hilaire

Well I'm not sure what you are asking for.  The Gstreamer stuff starts at:

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/GStreamer'
    user: ''
    password: ''

You need a plugin and the GStreamer underpinnings install in your operating system. If you have
have a linux box  that is  easy.  If you have a mac, you could use MacPorts to install GStreamer and
I could give you a plugin I built for test purposes.

As for the Sophie stuff, well it uses FFI for talking to Quicktime, there is an optional quicktime plugin
but all that is used for is to let quicktime tell us when it has rendered a frame into a squeak surface
so we can signal a squeak semaphore to draw the surface to the Display.  The fall back is to
do a fixed frame rate drawing cycle, which is what happens on Windows.

The Sophie player of course uses Tweak as a reference base, but could be converted to some other
UI framework.

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882