visibility of our site

Nicolas Cellier
I find our https://squeak.org squeak site very good!

But for loading a 5.2 image, I just googled "squeak smalltalk download", and were offered the possibility to download 3.8, 3.7 or all sorts of outdated stuff, but I didn't see our site anywhere near the top answers...

Isn't there something we can do to improve that?

Nicolas

Re: visibility of our site

Levente Uzonyi
On Fri, 10 May 2019, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> I find our https://squeak.org squeak site very good!
>
> But for loading a 5.2 image, I just googled "squeak smalltalk download", and were offered the possibility to download 3.8, 3.7 or all sorts of outdated stuff, but I didn't see our site anywhere near the top answers...
>
> Isn't there something we can do to improve that?

It google seems to have simply "deindexed" the site. Other search
engines find the content just fine, but google won't find anything from
the squeak.org domain even if you specify site:squeak.org. Subdomains are
still indexed by google.

Assuming no one has registered the site on google's search console[1], a
trusted person could try to add the site as their own (requires
coordination with the web/box admins team) and see if it can be added to
the index again.

Levente

[1] https://search.google.com/search-console/about

> Nicolas

Re: visibility of our site

fniephaus
On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 12:32 AM Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 May 2019, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
> > I find our https://squeak.org squeak site very good!
> >
> > But for loading a 5.2 image, I just googled "squeak smalltalk download", and were offered the possibility to download 3.8, 3.7 or all sorts of outdated stuff, but I didn't see our site anywhere near the top answers...
> >
> > Isn't there something we can do to improve that?
>
> It google seems to have simply "deindexed" the site. Other search
> engines find the content just fine, but google won't find anything from
> the squeak.org domain even if you specify site:squeak.org. Subdomains are
> still indexed by google.

I didn't notice this, but it seems you are right and Google has
removed squeak.org from their index.

> Assuming no one has registered the site on google's search console[1], a
> trusted person could try to add the site as their own (requires
> coordination with the web/box admins team) and see if it can be added to
> the index again.

I have access to a Google search console for squeak.org, but I don't
fully understand the problem yet. I've updated our sitemap to point to
our site via HTTPS, maybe that fixes it. I will keep you posted.

Fabio

> Levente
>
> [1] https://search.google.com/search-console/about
>

> > Nicolas

Re: visibility of our site

Herbert König

Hi,

I don't use google normally but below is what I get from Google. Qwant, ECOSIA, Bing, DuckDuckGo return very similar results. Usually I browse in private mode so i guess nothing comes from my browser cache here.

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 12.05.2019 um 15:13 schrieb Fabio Niephaus:
[...]

Stéphane Rollandin
No problem either here in France. I get the site just fine, as the
second result from Google.

Re: visibility of our site

Nicolas Cellier
Yes, it seems to be fixed now.
Thanks Fabio, that's probably the https thing :)

Le dim. 12 mai 2019 à 22:07, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
No problem either here in France. I get the site just fine, as the
second result from Google.

Re: visibility of our site

fniephaus
On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 10:11 PM Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, it seems to be fixed now.
> Thanks Fabio, that's probably the https thing :)

Yes, it seems squeak.org is indexed again. Unfortunately, all other
pages are still missing (e.g. search for `site:squeak.org/downloads`).
Hopefully this will fix itself in the next few days.

Fabio

> Le dim. 12 mai 2019 à 22:07, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> No problem either here in France. I get the site just fine, as the
>> second result from Google.
>>
>> Stef

Re: visibility of our site

fniephaus
Quick update: looks like Google has indexed all our pages again (incl. squeak.org/downloads).

Cheers,
Fabio