vw 7.7 support for Windows 2000

Christian Haider
Hi,

on the new support page http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/main/support/ Windows 2000 is said to be supported by VW 7.7.

One Week ago I had a case where a customer complained about an error on Windows 2000 and I told them it is not supported.
I found that information in the ProductReleaseCatalog.pdf from https://supportweb.cincom.com/ .

The problem was the new time zone OS call on windows which only exists in the kernel.dll from Windows XP on.

Do I have a support case? :-)

cheers,
    Christian Haider

Re: vw 7.7 support for Windows 2000

Steven Kelly

On a related note, the new Timezone code is pretty fragile. “Timestamp zero asSeconds” blows up on Windows, as does “Time now asTimestamp asSeconds”, because the “year 0” date is before what Windows can cope with. Obviously there are ways around this (Duration etc.), and that kind of code is semantically suspect anyway, but the errors are rather unnecessary.

For now, we’ve overridden #asSeconds to handle errors with [:ex | ex return: (TimeZone null timestampToSeconds: self)]. That seems to work well as a stopgap while we transform all our old code to use Durations (which are great, BTW!).

Steve