[vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

12

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

Ralph Johnson
May I suggest a slightly different approach?  You are in possession of
a powerful refactoring tool.  It is customizable.  Make a script that
can automatically refactor old code to use the new design.  That way,
customers can keep up with the new design easily.

This might influence your design, because you will end up favoring a
design that your tools will support.

-Ralph Johnson

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

Steven Kelly
Ralph Johnson wrote:
> May I suggest a slightly different approach?  You are in possession of
> a powerful refactoring tool.  It is customizable.  Make a script that
> can automatically refactor old code to use the new design.  That way,
> customers can keep up with the new design easily.
>
> This might influence your design, because you will end up favoring a
> design that your tools will support.

Good point, and worth considering. I've been happy to see Cincom using
this approach recently, e.g. by providing release notes with the rewrite
tool hieroglyphics necessary to update certain kinds of code.

A factor motivating against this approach and in favour of aliasing is
that there is often a need to use the same source over several VW
versions. This applies to customers' own code, but maybe especially to
packages in the public repository. Using rewrite means we need to
branch, with versions called "3.5 [7.7.1]", and Store offers no support
for loading the right branch in the right VW version (another case of
"favoring a design that your tools will support").

Steve

12