vw7.7 Locale>>set: deprecated to #shouldNotImplement

vw7.7 Locale>>set: deprecated to #shouldNotImplement

Jan Weerts
Hi all,

is there a reason for vw7.7 implementing Locale>>set: in a way, that
it dispatches to CompositeLocale>set: which in turn only sends
#shouldNotImplement? My guess is, that this was meant to be forwarded
to CompositeLocale>>setSystemLocaleTo: instead.

Some side notes:
- The documentation is - for my taste - not very explicit about the
required steps for upgrading old Locale definitions.
- The mentioned #vwlegacy value is used nowhere, just a lot of
branching comparisons to #vwcldr.
- Installing an old style Locale gives not even a warning, it would
not be found later on by the #setSystemLocaleTo:

Regards
   Jan

Re: vw7.7 Locale>>set: deprecated to #shouldNotImplement

Kooyman, Les
[vwnc] vw7.7 Locale>>set: deprecated to #shouldNotImplement
The idea was that set: is deprecated, beginning with the new CLDR locales in VisualWorks 7.7.

Its use is not deprecated in the Legacy set of locales because that behavior is meant to remain as it has been. If you choose to run with the Legacy locale set, we presume it's because you want that exact behavior, at least for now. The pass-throughs between Locale and CompositeLocale would go away if and when the Legacy Locales get spun off into a loadable package some time in the future. There are intermediate improvements that can be made, though.

As to your other comments, thank you. We're working on updating our documentation materials for the 7.8 release, and making other refinements and enhancements along the lines of your comments and those of others.

Some features will not make it into 7.8 because of their scope, but we have a very active "laundry list" in this area.

Les Kooyman
Cincom