vw7.8nc/bin/linux86/visual: error while loading shared libraries: nibX31.so.6: cannot open shared object file

vw7.8nc/bin/linux86/visual: error while loading shared libraries: nibX31.so.6: cannot open shared object file

Thomas Gagne-3
So I wanted to re-install visual on my Ubuntu build today and I get this
error when I try autorun or installUnix.  I've tried googling around for
it but can't find anything.  Anyone else know what it may be?

Re: vw7.8nc/bin/linux86/visual: error while loading shared libraries: nibX31.so.6: cannot open shared object file

Holger Kleinsorgen
Thomas Gagne-3 wrote
So I wanted to re-install visual on my Ubuntu build today and I get this
error when I try autorun or installUnix.
If it is a 64-bit-Ubuntu, then maybe the 32 bit libs are missing.
Install them with
   sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Re: vw7.8nc/bin/linux86/visual: error while loading shared libraries: nibX31.so.6: cannot open shared object file

Steven Kelly
Holger Kleinsorgen wrote Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:26 AM:
> Thomas Gagne-3 wrote
> > So I wanted to re-install visual on my Ubuntu build today and I get
> > this error when I try autorun or installUnix.
>
> If it is a 64-bit-Ubuntu, then maybe the 32 bit libs are missing.
> Install them with
>    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

We've had similar problems on 64-bit Linux distros - sometimes they
claim to include 32-bit libraries too, but many are missing. Here's how
we go about finding what libraries are needed (this was VW 7.7.1 on
openSUSE 12.2, but the principles are the same on all distros):

http://www.metacase.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=649&KW=64%2Dbit&PID=1
565

All the best,
Steve

Re: vw7.8nc/bin/linux86/visual: error while loading shared libraries: nibX31.so.6: cannot open shared object file

Milan C(ermák
Dne 20.08.13 08:25, Holger Kleinsorgen napsal(a):
> Thomas Gagne-3 wrote
>> So I wanted to re-install visual on my Ubuntu build today and I get this
>> error when I try autorun or installUnix.
>
> If it is a 64-bit-Ubuntu, then maybe the 32 bit libs are missing.
> Install them with
>     sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

I run VisualWorks on Debian 7.1 (close to Ubuntu in the sense of
packaging). Debian 7 came with multi-arch thing.
Howto: https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

In short, one adds another architecture to installed system with:
dpkg --add-architecture i386

Then, all packages for i386 are available and suffixed with :i386.

Regards,
Milan Cermak

Re: vw7.8nc/bin/linux86/visual: error while loading shared libraries: nibX31.so.6: cannot open shared object file

Thomas Gagne-3
Thanks, everyone.

It turns out for that and other related issues it was easier to install
Fedora.  I also moved to a 32-bit box since that's where the original
code came from and I want as few issues as possible.