[vwnc] 3D simulation

Nowak, Helge
3D simulation

Dear Smalltalkers,

could you give me some ideas about 3D imaging and simulation in Smalltalk, e. g. for technical or medical solutions. Think scanning data from different devices need to be synced, processed and displayed with the ability to rotate, slice etc. in arbitrary ways interactively.

Are there any solutions in Smalltalk that one could use as a starter?
Or: are there any at all?
Which (external) libraries would you suggest?
Which kind of database would you suggest: OO or RDBMS?

Any pointers welcome!

TIA
Helge

Helge K. Nowak
Technical Account Manager Cincom Smalltalk
Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG
Am Kronberger Hang 4
D-65824 Schwalbach/Ts.
Tel.: +49-(0)89-89664494
Mobil: +49-(0)172-7400402
Fax: +49-(0)89-89664495
Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://smalltalk.cincom.com

Alles über Cincom Smalltalk:
http://smalltalk.cincom.com

Bild (Metafile)

Ein Standpunkt ist ein geistiger Horizont vom Radius Null.
-- Albert Einstein

Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Gerald L. Shawhan
oHG mit Sitz/based in Schwalbach/Ts. (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRA 2653)
Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent:
Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRB 5069)

ole0.bmp (247K) Download Attachment

Re: [vwnc] 3D simulation

Martin McClure
Nowak, Helge wrote:

> Dear Smalltalkers,
>
> could you give me some ideas about 3D imaging and simulation in
> Smalltalk, e. g. for technical or medical solutions. Think scanning data
> from different devices need to be synced, processed and displayed with
> the ability to rotate, slice etc. in arbitrary ways interactively.
>
> Are there any solutions in Smalltalk that one could use as a starter?
> Or: are there any at all?
> Which (external) libraries would you suggest?
> Which kind of database would you suggest: OO or RDBMS?
>
> Any pointers welcome!

An interesting problem area. I'd think Smalltalk would be ideal for it,
though I'll admit some bias in that area.   :-)

I haven't used it, but there is Jun. I suspect that it's more on the
displaying 3D side than the manipulating 3D data side, but could still
be useful.

This sounds like an area where you might want deep hierarchies of data,
or other structures that don't fit easily into a table structure, so I'd
go with an OODB. GemStone would be ideal. I'll admit some bias in that
area as well.   :-D

Regards,

-Martin

Re: [vwnc] 3D simulation

Andres Valloud-6
At Smalltalk Solutions 2007, there was a presentation on a 3D body
motion simulation package written in VisualWorks.  I attended the
presentation and I remember it seemed very good.  See here:
http://askoh.com/.

> could you give me some ideas about 3D imaging and simulation in
> Smalltalk, e. g. for technical or medical solutions. Think scanning
> data from different devices need to be synced, processed and displayed

> with the ability to rotate, slice etc. in arbitrary ways
interactively.

> Are there any solutions in Smalltalk that one could use as a starter?
> Or: are there any at all?
> Which (external) libraries would you suggest?
> Which kind of database would you suggest: OO or RDBMS?
>
> Any pointers welcome!

An interesting problem area. I'd think Smalltalk would be ideal for it,
though I'll admit some bias in that area.   :-)

I haven't used it, but there is Jun. I suspect that it's more on the
displaying 3D side than the manipulating 3D data side, but could still
be useful.

This sounds like an area where you might want deep hierarchies of data,
or other structures that don't fit easily into a table structure, so I'd
go with an OODB. GemStone would be ideal. I'll admit some bias in that
area as well.   :-D

Regards,

-Martin

Re: [vwnc] 3D simulation

Andres Valloud-6
(for the sake of ease, there are some FreeCAD screenshots here:
http://askoh.com/freecad/what_is_freecad/index.html).

Valloud, Andres wrote:
> At Smalltalk Solutions 2007, there was a presentation on a 3D body
> motion simulation package written in VisualWorks.  I attended the
> presentation and I remember it seemed very good.  See here:
> http://askoh.com/.

Oh, yes, this looked good.

The new website seems to be:

http://www.ar-cad.com/

Regards,

-Martin

Re: [vwnc] 3D simulation

Annick
We just do 2D , but we use :
- SIXX for object network storage (sorry for Gemstone) : the great
thing is our data model evolved a lot and SIXX just ignores missing or
added instance variables, and ignores hierarchy modification as well
- home made DXF reading and writing, but Jun has some stuff for that.
DXF is widely used in CAD, and allows to import complex designed forms

We looked at OpenGL but discussing with Michael Lucas-Smith, it
strongly depends on your video card, which makes it uneasy to
distribute.
Is there any general framework for simulation ?

Annick Fron

Le 1 oct. 09 à 03:54, Martin McClure a écrit :

> Valloud, Andres wrote:
>> At Smalltalk Solutions 2007, there was a presentation on a 3D body
>> motion simulation package written in VisualWorks.  I attended the
>> presentation and I remember it seemed very good.  See here:
>> http://askoh.com/.
>
> Oh, yes, this looked good.
>
> The new website seems to be:
>
> http://www.ar-cad.com/
>
> Regards,
>
> -Martin

Re: [vwnc] 3D simulation

skrish
If someone takes the trouble of interfacing Smalltalk to OpenCascade it would be most appropriate for more intense CAD kind of imaging and simulations.

Jun is OpenGL but from my experience of CAD not adequate enough for intensive rendering operations more in terms of performance and quality of rendering with anti-aliasing to the extent open-cascade engine can do.

Would be interesting stuff to extend OpenCascade to Smalltalk VW.. or generic Smalltalk if possible to keep the code portable and usable through all dialects.

-Skrish

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Nowak, Helge <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thank you all for the interesting answers! Now we have something to start from.

Have a nice weekend all!
Helge

Re: [vwnc] 3D simulation

James Robertson-7
There is a far more up to date OpenGL interface in the public store - you can visit Michael's blog for details on it:

It also doesn't suffer from being GPL...

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library