[vwnc] [7.6] Compression-Zip - Writing capability

[vwnc] [7.6] Compression-Zip - Writing capability

Gruenewald, Tom

Hello.

We are starting with VisualWorks 7.6 right now. I was quit happy, because I thought I can now easily handle ZIP archives.
But Compression-Zip only supports uncompressing files. Not to compress them to ZIP archives.

Link: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/publicRepository/Compression-Zip.html

Does anyone know a package or a public project which implements that?

I like to add files and directories to ZIP archives.

Something like:

| archive |
archive := Archive new: 'c:\temp\compressed.zip'.
archive add: (ArchiveEntry new: 'c:\temp\file.txt')
compressionRate: 4.
archive add: (ArchiveEntry new: 'c:\temp\directory')
compressionRate: 4.
archive close.

And don't refer me to http://www.pkware.com/documents/casestudies/APPNOTE.TXT. :-)) That is to freaky.
I have already checked the classes InflateStream and ZLibInterface. But so much I've understood, they can only compress streams and not build ZIP archives.
They don't support the archive header information.

I also tried to generate tar.gz archives. The TAR file support should be available as part of the SmalltalkArchive support in preview/parcels/Smalltalk Archive.pcl.
But I get an exception, when I file in the parcel file via the parcel manager.

Any answer would be nice. Thank you for your support.

Best regards,
Tom Grünewald

________

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH
Softwareentwicklung/Software Development

T o m G r ü n e w a l d

73446 Oberkochen, Germany
tel: +49.7364.20-8541
fax: +49.7364.20-4800
email: [hidden email]
http://www.zeiss.de/imt

Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH, Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22, 73447 Oberkochen
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Dieter Kurz
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Rainer Ohnheiser, Felix Hoben, Hanspeter Mürle
Sitz der Gesellschaft: 73446 Oberkochen, Deutschland
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501561
USt-IdNr.: DE 811 515 346

This message is intended for a particular addressee only and may contain business or company secrets. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message immediately. Any use of this email, including saving, publishing, copying, replication or forwarding of the message or the contents is not permitted.

Re: [vwnc] [7.6] Compression-Zip - Writing capability

Nowak, Helge
Dear Tom,

HTH
Helge

Re: [vwnc] [7.6] Compression-Zip - Writing capability

Holger Guhl
For private purposes, I have a small project of my own that supports
reading of PKZIP archives, i.e. the "famous" and wide-spread *.zip file
format. Although I am pretty far with the internal format, I never had
the need to complete that for writing (compressing files into an
existing archive). The basic hurdle is understanding some meta-records
in the PK ZIP. Unlike gzip which simply compresses contents of a single
file without source file information, the PK ZIP format includes
information for each file stored in the archive, including file date and
file attributes etc.
What I mean is that understanding the "freaky" APPNOTE.TXT is essential.
Checking whether someone in the community has implemented it is ok. But
if not, there is no simple way other than implementing the full format
documented in this note. Otherwise you will end up in ZIP archive files
that are not compatible with all those reader or uncompressing tools.
For the issues with Smalltalk Archives I can tell that is is not yet
decided but very much likely that it will be part of the product in
future. Most recently, some fixes have been published internally, so it
is a good idea to contact Cincom Support. Send your request with usual
details on the problems (stack dump, example files etc.)
Regards

Holger Guhl
--
Senior Consultant * Certified Scrum Master * [hidden email]
Tel: +49 231 9 75 99 21 * Fax: +49 231 9 75 99 20

Gruenewald, Tom schrieb:

> Hello.
>
> We are starting with VisualWorks 7.6 right now. I was quit happy,
> because I thought I can now easily handle ZIP archives.
> But Compression-Zip only supports uncompressing files. Not to compress
> them to ZIP archives.
>
> Link: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/publicRepository/Compression-Zip.html
>
> *Does anyone know a package or a public project which implements that?*
>
> I like to add files and directories to ZIP archives.
>
> Something like:
>
> * | archive |*
> * archive := Archive new: 'c:\temp\compressed.zip'.*
> * archive add: (ArchiveEntry new: 'c:\temp\file.txt')*
> * compressionRate: 4.*
> * archive add: (ArchiveEntry new: 'c:\temp\directory')*
> * compressionRate: 4.*
> * archive close.*
>
> And don't refer me to
> http://www.pkware.com/documents/casestudies/APPNOTE.TXT. :-)) That is
> to freaky.
> I have already checked the classes InflateStream and ZLibInterface.
> But so much I've understood, they can only compress streams and not
> build ZIP archives.
> They don't support the archive header information.
>
> I also tried to generate tar.gz archives. The TAR file support should
> be available as part of the SmalltalkArchive support in
> preview/parcels/Smalltalk Archive.pcl.
> But I get an exception, when I file in the parcel file via the parcel
> manager.
>
> Any answer would be nice. Thank you for your support.
>
> Best regards,
> Tom Grünewald
>
> ________
>
> Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH
> Softwareentwicklung/Software Development
>
> T o m G r ü n e w a l d
>
> 73446 Oberkochen, Germany
> tel: +49.7364.20-8541
> fax: +49.7364.20-4800
> email: [hidden email]
> http://www.zeiss.de/imt
>
> Carl Zeiss Industrielle Messtechnik GmbH, Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22, 73447
> Oberkochen
> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Dieter Kurz
> Geschäftsführer: Dr. Rainer Ohnheiser, Felix Hoben, Hanspeter Mürle
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: 73446 Oberkochen, Deutschland
> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501561
> USt-IdNr.: DE 811 515 346

> This message is intended for a particular addressee only and may
> contain business or company secrets. If you have received this email
> in error, please contact the sender and delete the message
> immediately. Any use of this email, including saving, publishing,
> copying, replication or forwarding of the message or the contents is
> not permitted.

Holger Guhl
--
Senior Consultant * Certified Scrum Master * [hidden email]
Tel: +49 231 9 75 99 21 * Fax: +49 231 9 75 99 20
Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

Re: [vwnc] [7.6] Compression-Zip - Writing capability

Cesar Rabak
Holger Guhl escreveu:

> For private purposes, I have a small project of my own that supports
> reading of PKZIP archives, i.e. the "famous" and wide-spread *.zip file
> format. Although I am pretty far with the internal format, I never had
> the need to complete that for writing (compressing files into an
> existing archive). The basic hurdle is understanding some meta-records
> in the PK ZIP. Unlike gzip which simply compresses contents of a single
> file without source file information, the PK ZIP format includes
> information for each file stored in the archive, including file date and
> file attributes etc.
> What I mean is that understanding the "freaky" APPNOTE.TXT is essential.
> Checking whether someone in the community has implemented it is ok. But
> if not, there is no simple way other than implementing the full format
> documented in this note. Otherwise you will end up in ZIP archive files
> that are not compatible with all those reader or uncompressing tools.
> For the issues with Smalltalk Archives I can tell that is is not yet
> decided but very much likely that it will be part of the product in
> future. Most recently, some fixes have been published internally, so it
> is a good idea to contact Cincom Support. Send your request with usual
> details on the problems (stack dump, example files etc.)
> Regards

I wonder if it is a good idea at all implementing the full format (I
mean the low level stuff in Smalltalk) or if we should just seek an
alternative of using a DLL (like Info-ZIP) and have just wrapper code in VW?

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.

Re: [vwnc] [7.6] Compression-Zip - Writing capability

Holger Guhl
Thanks for the hint on Info-ZIP. I' ll have a look.
What I need(ed) for my project is any interface, either reasonable
complete DLL or an EXE with satisfying command line interface. I agree
with you that it is *not* a good idea to implement it if there is some
decent implementation available. Normally, I never write code like that
on my own. It is tedious and errorprone to redo an implementation of
file format reader/writers. But at the time I started it (around
December 2002) I was not aware of any free code for it. (Of course, I
did not reimplement the decompression, but just reused the
Compression-ZLib parcel.)
Cheers

Holger Guhl