[vwnc] 7.7 installer for Linux error reading install map

J G

[vwnc] 7.7 installer for Linux error reading install map

J G
VWNC7.7 installer for Linux reports an error reading install map (see
the attachment).

Best Regards,

Jim G

cstinstaller.png (44K) Download Attachment

Re: [vwnc] 7.7 installer for Linux error reading install map

James Robertson-7
Are you getting that error repeatedly?  The file is there, and has the proper permissions

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

J G

Re: [vwnc] 7.7 installer for Linux error reading install map

J G
Yes. However with the same VWInstallerLinux86.run other versions have
no such error and with 7.7 the error remains even after I tried to
download the install.map and select to install from local copy.
May be something wrong in the map? I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 amd64.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 8:44 AM, James Robertson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you getting that error repeatedly?  The file is there, and has the proper permissions
>
> James Robertson
> Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
> Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library
>

> On Jan 27, 2010, at 6:47 PM, J G wrote:
>
>> VWNC7.7 installer for Linux reports an error reading install map (see
>> the attachment).
>>

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Jim G
>> <cstinstaller.png>_______________________________________________
>> vwnc mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc

Best Regards,

Jim G

Re: [vwnc] 7.7 installer for Linux error reading install map

DougK
Hi James,

Ubuntu 9.10 here and still error reading from
ftp://anonymous:VWInstaller@ftp.cincomsmalltalk.com//pub/cstnc/visualworks/vwnc7.7/install.map

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

Re: [vwnc] 7.7 installer for Linux error reading install map

DougK
Hi James,

I also tried a local copy, even pasting in the old 7.6 license in case I was able to catch a syntax error. I even changed Dictionary to IdentityDictionary alas, NG. Interesting to note that no error message occurs is I point the the 7.6 map.

The favor of a reply would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

Re: [vwnc] 7.7 installer for Linux error reading install map

DougK
Downloading and installing from the ISO CD works smoothly. This is a non-issue for me. No response is necessary.

Thanks,
Doug

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:42 PM, DougK [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi James,

I also tried a local copy, even pasting in the old 7.6 license in case I was able to catch a syntax error. I even changed Dictionary to IdentityDictionary alas, NG. Interesting to note that no error message occurs is I point the the 7.6 map.

The favor of a reply would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

View message @ http://n4.nabble.com/vwnc-7-7-installer-for-Linux-error-reading-install-map-tp1415134p1595954.html
To unsubscribe from Re: [vwnc] 7.7 installer for Linux error reading install map, click here.

Re: 7.7 installer for Linux error reading install map

Alan Knight-2
Yes, I can reproduce that. It's very peculiar, because the same URL works fine on other platforms. I'm suspicious that the problem isn't with reading the URL, it's with something in processing it, but there's an overly general exception handler that catches anything going wrong in that area and report it as a problem reading the install.map. We'll look into it. Thanks for keeping pestering us until we actually took a serious look :-)

At 12:38 PM 2010-03-14, DougK wrote:

Hi James,

Ubuntu 9.10 here and still error reading from
ftp://anonymous:VWInstaller@...//pub/cstnc/visualworks/vwnc7.7/install.map

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk