[vwnc] Anything but Smalltalk -- suggestions?

123

[vwnc] Anything but Smalltalk -- suggestions?

Dennis smith-4
We have a potential client (big) who was a client
of ours using an old unix/rdbms solution, but went
elsewhere for a new system.

The client is potential now because the "elsewhere" failed,
and they had that and themselves (and us) audited by a large
consultant.

They have now come to us and said they want us to provide
a solution, but "we don't want Smalltalk" -- they only know
we use Smalltalk because of the consultant I suspect.

Anyway, we have dealt with "Has to be Java", "has to be Oracle",
has to be "Windows" etc -- we have never dealt with
"anything but Smalltalk".  We use VW and Gemstone.

I have stuff from the past re "why smalltalk" which we will use,
but I just wondered if anyone had any "new thoughts" on how
one might answer this type of thing??

--
Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948

Re: [vwnc] Anything but Smalltalk -- suggestions?

jtuchel
No new thoughts here, sorry.

But isn't the fact that the consultant audited you and found some good points about you partly because you use a certain technology and seem to have success with it.

Why not say that you wouldn't be the same you if you used another technology? And maybe it's better to not get the job than risking to fail just because the customer forced you into a technology that makes you no better than your competition...

It's funny that customers sometomes care about things that they shouldn't think about at all. If you can do better than your competition by using Smalltalk, then why bother?

>The client is potential now because the "elsewhere" failed,
>and they had that and themselves (and us) audited by a large
>consultant.

Do you have access to the arguments against Smalltalk?

>They have now come to us and said they want us to provide
>a solution, but "we don't want Smalltalk" -- they only know
>we use Smalltalk because of the consultant I suspect.

Hmmm. Not risking anything, I'd probably suggest being aggressive here and try to show why the combination of Smalltalk and you is a good thing - obviously even in the eyes of the consultant...

>I have stuff from the past re "why smalltalk" which we will use,
>but I just wondered if anyone had any "new thoughts" on how
>one might answer this type of thing??

Good luck!

Joachim

Re: [vwnc] Anything but Smalltalk -- suggestions?

Nowak, Helge
THX Joachim,

that was exactly what I was going to write.

Cheers
Helge

But isn't the fact that the consultant audited you and found some good points about you partly because you use a certain technology and seem to have success with it.

Why not say that you wouldn't be the same you if you used another technology? And maybe it's better to not get the job than risking to fail just because the customer forced you into a technology that makes you no better than your competition...

It's funny that customers sometomes care about things that they shouldn't think about at all. If you can do better than your competition by using Smalltalk, then why bother?

>The client is potential now because the "elsewhere" failed, and they
>had that and themselves (and us) audited by a large consultant.

Do you have access to the arguments against Smalltalk?

>They have now come to us and said they want us to provide a solution,
>but "we don't want Smalltalk" -- they only know we use Smalltalk
>because of the consultant I suspect.

Hmmm. Not risking anything, I'd probably suggest being aggressive here and try to show why the combination of Smalltalk and you is a good thing - obviously even in the eyes of the consultant...

>I have stuff from the past re "why smalltalk" which we will use, but I
>just wondered if anyone had any "new thoughts" on how one might answer
>this type of thing??

Good luck!

Joachim

Re: [vwnc] Anything but Smalltalk -- suggestions?

Travis Griggs-3
On Oct 6, 2008, at 6:54 AM, Dennis Smith wrote:

> We have a potential client (big) who was a client
> of ours using an old unix/rdbms solution, but went
> elsewhere for a new system.
>
> The client is potential now because the "elsewhere" failed,
> and they had that and themselves (and us) audited by a large
> consultant.
>
> They have now come to us and said they want us to provide
> a solution, but "we don't want Smalltalk" -- they only know
> we use Smalltalk because of the consultant I suspect.
>
> Anyway, we have dealt with "Has to be Java", "has to be Oracle",
> has to be "Windows" etc -- we have never dealt with
> "anything but Smalltalk".  We use VW and Gemstone.
>
> I have stuff from the past re "why smalltalk" which we will use,
> but I just wondered if anyone had any "new thoughts" on how
> one might answer this type of thing??

Use Self.

And charge them double for it.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Re: [vwnc] Anything but Smalltalk -- suggestions?

Stefan Schmiedl
On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:54:59 -0400
Dennis Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyway, we have dealt with "Has to be Java", "has to be Oracle",
> has to be "Windows" etc -- we have never dealt with
> "anything but Smalltalk".  We use VW and Gemstone.
>
> I have stuff from the past re "why smalltalk" which we will use,
> but I just wondered if anyone had any "new thoughts" on how
> one might answer this type of thing??

They probably heard too much about Smalltalk dying of old age
and not enough of the buzz around it caused by new, cool applications
like dabbleDB, Seaside, AIDA.

If all else fails, go for Ruby and use the version currently being
developed on top of gemstone.

Sneakily,
s.

Re: [vwnc] Anything but Smalltalk -- suggestions?

James Robertson-7
What might help is that Gartner now classifies Smalltalk as "mature" -
which they might listen to as a positive sign.

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:54:59 -0400
Dennis Smith [hidden email] wrote:

Anyway, we have dealt with "Has to be Java", "has to be Oracle",
has to be "Windows" etc -- we have never dealt with
"anything but Smalltalk".  We use VW and Gemstone.

I have stuff from the past re "why smalltalk" which we will use,
but I just wondered if anyone had any "new thoughts" on how
one might answer this type of thing??

They probably heard too much about Smalltalk dying of old age
and not enough of the buzz around it caused by new, cool applications
like dabbleDB, Seaside, AIDA.

If all else fails, go for Ruby and use the version currently being
developed on top of gemstone.

Unfortunately, we are a small company and we concentrate on our base applications and
our tools which are VW and GS.  For us its likely go or no-go (no-go if its not our base) :(
For example, we have a complete accounting package and payroll package, both of which
would be part of the system we would install -- its a "people visiting homes" scheduling
system, with accounts and payroll integrated.

Sneakily,
s.

Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="sip:dennis@CherniakSoftware.com">sip:dennis@...

Joachim Tuchel wrote:
No new thoughts here, sorry.

But isn't the fact that the consultant audited you and found some good points about you partly because you use a certain technology and seem to have success with it.

Why not say that you wouldn't be the same you if you used another technology? And maybe it's better to not get the job than risking to fail just because the customer forced you into a technology that makes you no better than your competition...

Just reading thoughts like the above helps me to think -- so thanks to all who have responded so far.

Travis Griggs wrote:
[...]

Actually we thought about using C# and .NET and charging 10x :)
    Actually not that far off -- C# and .NET are what the consultant
    uses -- and 10x may be a bit much -- maybe 5x -- but we
    don't want to go there -- want to stay with VW and GS :)
--
Travis Griggs
Objologist
"It had better be a pretty good meeting, to be better than no meeting
at all" - Boyd K Packer

Dennis Smith                 		         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="sip:dennis@CherniakSoftware.com">sip:dennis@...
Canada			         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: [vwnc] Anything but Smalltalk -- suggestions?

Alan Knight-2
Figure out what it would cost you to redo the infrastructure you have in something else and the lost productivity, throw in a multiplier, and add it to your estimate. Either they reconsider, or they pay you so ridiculously much money it'd be worth it to do it in assembler :-)

At 09:54 AM 10/6/2008, Dennis Smith wrote:
[...]

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Alan Knight wrote:
Figure out what it would cost you to redo the infrastructure you have in something else and the lost productivity, throw in a multiplier, and add it to your estimate. Either they reconsider, or they pay you so ridiculously much money it'd be worth it to do it in assembler :-)
We have actually thought along those lines (not assembler although I USED to be expert at a few of them).
We really don't want to -- and I don't think they would want to pay the costs either -- or take the date/time hit.

[...]

Andreas Tönne
Dennis,

you have seen some good answers already and surely in such a situation
anything pro Smalltalk is ignored; you have to talk about "pro yourself".
The consultant has a conflict of interests and the client is burnt and
scared.

You have been asked because you are seen as someone who did not fail the
client in the past. You are kind of the last straw if I understand the
situation correctly. Do whatever is necessary to show the client: we want to
rescue you. Take the client's fear from him.

Part of this story is to tell the client and the consultant that you are
successful because you use a technology that you fully understand, have
trust that it will not fail you and has proven to be you silver bullet. Use
any argument pro Smalltalk but effectively say: we and Smalltalk are a
proven team. You cannot have one without the other because WE DO NOT LIKE TO
FAIL IN PROJECTS.

James reference to the Gartner rating is very helpful here. Talk about the
resurgence of dynamic languages, what is important about them for project
success. Talk about the promise of Ruby and that Smalltalk carries the same
promise. But any detailed argument about their objection against Smalltalk
needs more knowledge of what FUD was spread by the consultant.

Show them that you accept to loose the deal if securing the deal would mean
to give up your principles and uniqueness. It is soft skills time now, not
technical facts.

Andreas

Am 06.10.2008 15:54 Uhr schrieb "Dennis Smith" unter
<[hidden email]>:

> We have a potential client (big) who was a client
> of ours using an old unix/rdbms solution, but went
> elsewhere for a new system.
>
> The client is potential now because the "elsewhere" failed,
> and they had that and themselves (and us) audited by a large
> consultant.
>
> They have now come to us and said they want us to provide
> a solution, but "we don't want Smalltalk" -- they only know
> we use Smalltalk because of the consultant I suspect.
>
> Anyway, we have dealt with "Has to be Java", "has to be Oracle",
> has to be "Windows" etc -- we have never dealt with
> "anything but Smalltalk".  We use VW and Gemstone.
>
> I have stuff from the past re "why smalltalk" which we will use,
> but I just wondered if anyone had any "new thoughts" on how
> one might answer this type of thing??

--
Andreas Tönne
Lead Consultant
Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG
Tel.: +49 6196 9003 100
Mobile: +49 172 6159272
Fax: +49 6196 9003 270

Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Gerald L. Shawhan
oHG mit Sitz/based in Schwalbach/Ts. (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRA 2653)
Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent:
Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRB
5069)

Re: [vwnc] Anything but Smalltalk -- suggestions?

Dennis smith-4
Well -- I worried about this all weekend, and suddenly realized this morning that
there are other "smalltalk friends" out there, why am I not asking them -- and it has
proven very fruitful -- thank you to everyone!!

Andreas Tönne wrote:
[...]

Arden Thomas
I agree with Alan's approach here.  Most companies do pay attention to the bottom line and ROI.

Offer them alternative solutions, and estimates for the costs of those alternatives.

When they see a 3X estimate for a java solution, and estimated maintenance is even higher, they might ask some questions, which give you the opportunity to state "thats why we use current ST technology".

Also you can point out ST is the mature, safe solution, for the attractive & popular dynamic language solutions out there.

Regards

    Arden

Arden Thomas
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager

Re: [vwnc] Anything but Smalltalk -- suggestions?

Arden Thomas
Gartner (as of Dec 2007) lists supported Smalltalks as a mature choice,
which is basically a low risk technology choice.
They recommend things like porting to the latest release.

Gartner's recommendations are very influential in some companies.

(You can see the advocacy talk slides and video from the presentation I gave
at Smalltalk Solutions and ESUG on James blog site).

HTH

        Arden

Arden Thomas
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager
[hidden email]

Re: [vwnc] Anything but Smalltalk -- suggestions?

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Can you please provide  the actual Gartner quote or article ?
Or URL to it ?

Arden Thomas wrote:

> Gartner (as of Dec 2007) lists supported Smalltalks as a mature choice,
> which is basically a low risk technology choice.
> They recommend things like porting to the latest release.
>
> Gartner's recommendations are very influential in some companies.
>
> (You can see the advocacy talk slides and video from the presentation I gave
> at Smalltalk Solutions and ESUG on James blog site).
>
> HTH
>
> Arden
>
> Arden Thomas
> Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager
> [hidden email]

I blogged it here:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=Gartner_is_no_longer_kicking_Smalltalk&entry=3390819360

But Gartner has expired the link behind a paywall

On Oct 6, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Mark Pirogovsky wrote:

> Can you please provide  the actual Gartner quote or article ?
> Or URL to it ?
>
> Arden Thomas wrote:
>> Gartner (as of Dec 2007) lists supported Smalltalks as a mature
>> choice,
>> which is basically a low risk technology choice.
>> They recommend things like porting to the latest release.
>>
>> Gartner's recommendations are very influential in some companies.
>>
>> (You can see the advocacy talk slides and video from the
>> presentation I gave
>> at Smalltalk Solutions and ESUG on James blog site).
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Arden
>>
>> Arden Thomas
>> Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager
>> [hidden email]

Steven Kelly
I posted the answer to this question just last month:
http://www.parcplace.net/list/vwnc-archive/0809/msg00189.html
But if you didn't grab the article then, you've missed it: it's no
longer in Google's cache. Hopefully someone at Cincom saved it... If
not, maybe they could ask www.MicroFocus.com (whose reprint it was) for
a copy. Or then Gartner :)

Steve

123