[vwnc] BOSS for 64bit images

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Anyone here who've already implemented functionality for the 64bit
LimitedPrecisionReals in BOSS, or know if Cincom plan to support it?

Issues I've run into so far:
- The new SmallDoubles don't like to be stored (BOSS assuming all
immidiates can be stored as long, and hardcoding encoding for known
immidiates)
(changeClass: fails since 1.0d is now immidiate).

Cheers,
Henry

Re: [vwnc] BOSS for 64bit images

James Robertson-7
64 bit BOSS is being worked on as part of the 64 bit support.

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Dec 17, 2008, at 7:35 AM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> Anyone here who've already implemented functionality for the 64bit
> LimitedPrecisionReals in BOSS, or know if Cincom plan to support it?
>
> Issues I've run into so far:
> - The new SmallDoubles don't like to be stored (BOSS assuming all
> immidiates can be stored as long, and hardcoding encoding for known
> immidiates)
> (changeClass: fails since 1.0d is now immidiate).
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

Re: [vwnc] BOSS for 64bit images

Andres Valloud-6
Henrik,

As James mentioned, we're currently working on this.  What we have now
is a prototype which solves several issues with 64 bit images, including
the two you mentioned.  Images of 32/64 bits can read boss files in
64/32 bit format.  We also have the ability for 64 bit images to write
boss files in 32 bit format.  Right now we're working on making what we
have better so it becomes easier to maintain in the future.

Andres.

Re: [vwnc] BOSS for 64bit images

Holger Guhl
Henrik,
if you are a Cincom Support Customer, then I have a good message for you.
We have developed a working solution that solves the SmallDouble vs.
Double conflict. It also handles the conflict for SmallInteger that
exceed the 32 bit range. The basic idea of BOSS is kept: It is a
cross-platform interchange format to be written from any platform and
correctly be read into any other platform. Our solution has been tested
successfully but is pending for Cincom Engineering quality assurance and
integration. Very likely, the upcoming VisualWorks version 7.7 will
include this solution or a better one from engineering.
You can find the solution with your customer support web access. The
case that handled this issue is
    Case 409297: primitive failed in BOSSReader>importFloat:
The resolution that helps out is
    Res95481

Best Regards

Holger Guhl
--
Senior Consultant * Certified Scrum Master * [hidden email]
Tel: +49 231 9 75 99 21 * Fax: +49 231 9 75 99 20

J G

Re: [vwnc] BOSS for 64bit images

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Sure, unless you're dealing with existing apps, in which backwards
compatability is nice to have, (ie: need to read from BOSS in any case)
and ROI on changing file storage format can be hard to justify.
As my first issue with Cincom in the formal role of customer, I'm quite
satisfied with how the issue was resolved anyways. ;)

Cheers,
Henry