[vwnc] ContextDumpPolicy >> printSimpleStack has an ex inspect in the do: block -- surprising and probably left over from a debugging session..

[vwnc] ContextDumpPolicy >> printSimpleStack has an ex inspect in the do: block -- surprising and probably left over from a debugging session..

mark.b.ballard-2
ContextDumpPolicy >> printSimpleStack has an ex inspect in the do: block
-- surprising and probably left over from a debugging session..

printSimpleStack

        [1 to: self actualNumberToDump do:
                [:i |
                (stack at: i) printOn: stream.
                stream cr].
        ]
                on: Object errorSignal
                do: [:ex | ex inspect. ex return].

Re: [vwnc] ContextDumpPolicy >> printSimpleStack has an ex inspect inthe do: block -- surprising and probably left over from adebugging session..

Andres Valloud-6
At first sight this seems like an elementary way of letting the
developer know something went wrong while trying to print the stack, but
without using the debugger to do so.  I have a feeling this may have
been intentional.

Andres.

Re: [vwnc] ContextDumpPolicy >> printSimpleStack has an ex inspect inthe do: block -- surprising and probably left over from adebugging session..

Terry Raymond
Well, it goes back to VW 7.0 and I don't remember why it is
there. It could very well be left over from a debugging
session.

Terry

Terry Raymond
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.
Tiverton, RI  02878
(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
<http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

Martin McClure
Terry Raymond wrote:
> Well, it goes back to VW 7.0 and I don't remember why it is
> there. It could very well be left over from a debugging
> session.

I've seen this a number of times. My take was essentially the same as
Andres', that this was intentional, and a way of responding to some
exception that for some unknown reason we couldn't print the stack for.

I must say, however, that aside from alerting me that this particular
problem had occurred, the inspector was of no use -- the exception being
inspected had no useful information in it by the time I could interact
with the inspector.

-Martin