[vwnc] Data visualizing with colors, any easy approach?

J G

[vwnc] Data visualizing with colors, any easy approach?

J G
Hi,

The idea being presenting collections of statics data in in different
colors as an image or bitmap, the smaller the value the bluer the
color and the bigger the value the red-er the color. Thus help
understanding the data.

The data are collections of series of non negative numbers, values
ranging from less than 1 to thousands maybe millions. And the data has
nil in those series, which may looks like this:
#(
#(nil nil nil nil 5 3 33 6.2 33 nil 3 nil nil nil ..)
#(33 36 22 8288 nil 332 nil nil 33 44 55 ...)
..... thousands to come, with same size.....
)

I have been reading Colors and Patterns in Basic Library Guide but not
quite understand it, mainly since I know very little about Graphic and
GUI things (since I seldom to Graphic programming) and can't not
remember all those concepts at once. I guess that there is not too
complex way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Jim G

Re: [vwnc] Data visualizing with colors, any easy approach?

Andres Fortier-2
Hi Jim, this is a very quick-and-dirty example, but I guess you can do
something decent of it. The only bad thing about it is that you must
know in advance the maximum value ("size" in this case) and that if you
distribute colors in a uniform way, and have literally millions of
numbers, the same color will be mapped to more than one number:

| size image |

size:=100.
image:=Image
                extent: (size@10)
                depth: 24
                palette: (FixedPalette redShift: 16 redMask: 16rFF greenShift: 8
greenMask: 16rFF blueShift: 0 blueMask: 16rFF).
0 to: (size - 1)
do: [:i | | index color |

                color:=ColorValue red: (i / size) green: 0.0 blue: (1-(i / size)).
                index:=image palette indexOfPaintNearest: color.
                0 to: 9 do: [:j |
                                                image
                                                        atPoint: (i@j)
                                                        put: index]].