[vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

12

[vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Maarten Mostert-2
Hi I just listened to industry misinterpretations 160 and I would like to express my disappointment.

Previously the roadmap showed that users claimed a major and not minor overhaul of the GUI. This item disappeared
later from the road map and now no longer seems to be a point?

We can notice new icons which are nice for the IDE, but we have been doing that in our applications with Epigent
and Cairo for ages now!

I also remember very well MLS stating 2 years ago that wrapper was the most pure GUI api around and that it would
be a breeze to modernise wrapper’s interfaces? Since then MLS seemed to have been involved in any single package
which comes with the product accept the one which every desktop users on the planet sees first when opening a VW
application, its grand daddy and grand mum’s look and feel packages.

Do you guys understand that almost nothing came and will come with the product to address this problem for over a
decade ?

Why is it that new L&F’s disappeared from the roadmap, does nobody at Cincom dares to tackle this? Is it to
complicated for you guys to do so (even for MLS ?). Did you simply give up future development for the desktop?

I started a new Vista UI myself as sometimes I really can’t face it anymore. I agree that it is pain to do because
of the endless graphics context copying and impressive levels in the class hierarchy. At the same time let's not
forget that Cairo can make it a lot simpler as we can redraw without flickering allowing you to build simple
straight forward good looking mvc L&F applications.

Please don’t take this personally as I really appreciate many of your personal efforts but who cares about a new
launcher and new installers, when we are jeopardising so many end-users with grand mummy’s look and feel?

Regards,

@+Maarten,

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Arden-8
Hi Maarten;

First, thank you for the feedback, I think we can appreciate the
perspective.

I can assure you that plenty of UI work is still on the roadmap, and
that we too wish it was moving faster, but it is moving.

With VW7.7 the Cairo work is in preview,  and comes with the Cairo lib
dlls for use with VW.
Many significant and subtle ui and tool improvements are in  7.7.

I had hoped for L&F work this release but we were unable to squeeze it
in.  It is still on our roadmap.

Also on the roadmap are things like significant improvement for the
font framework.

Wrapper and other infrastructure improvements are still in the works.
Work and experiments have been done in this area, and some results can
be seen in the way the browsers and other tools are built and
assembled.  I think it will be important to get these things right.

Longer term we are likely to work on replacing the uibuilder and make
many improvements utilizing Cairo and font work improvements.

Feedback like this helps keep the pressure on priority for this type
of work, so I invite others to weigh in on where their product
improvement priorities lie.

Thanks!

        Arden Thomas
        Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager

On Nov 25, 2009, at 8:36 AM, Maarten MOSTERT wrote:

> Hi I just listened to industry misinterpretations 160 and I would
> like to express my disappointment.
>
> Previously the roadmap showed that users claimed a major and not
> minor overhaul of the GUI. This item disappeared
> later from the road map and now no longer seems to be a point?
>
> We can notice new icons which are nice for the IDE, but we have been
> doing that in our applications with Epigent
> and Cairo for ages now!
>
> I also remember very well MLS stating 2 years ago that wrapper was
> the most pure GUI api around and that it would
> be a breeze to modernise wrapper’s interfaces? Since then MLS seemed
> to have been involved in any single package
> which comes with the product accept the one which every desktop
> users on the planet sees first when opening a VW
> application, its grand daddy and grand mum’s look and feel packages.
>
> Do you guys understand that almost nothing came and will come with
> the product to address this problem for over a
> decade ?
>
> Why is it that new L&F’s disappeared from the roadmap, does nobody
> at Cincom dares to tackle this? Is it to
> complicated for you guys to do so (even for MLS ?). Did you simply
> give up future development for the desktop?
>
> I started a new Vista UI myself as sometimes I really can’t face it
> anymore. I agree that it is pain to do because
> of the endless graphics context copying and impressive levels in the
> class hierarchy. At the same time let's not
> forget that Cairo can make it a lot simpler as we can redraw without
> flickering allowing you to build simple
> straight forward good looking mvc L&F applications.
>
> Please don’t take this personally as I really appreciate many of
> your personal efforts but who cares about a new
> launcher and new installers, when we are jeopardising so many end-
> users with grand mummy’s look and feel?
>

> Regards,
>
> @+Maarten,

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Andre Schnoor
Hello Arden,

good to read your response. I feel there is big potential for cross-
platform desktop applications, as these suffer a lot from the
deficiencies of the static C/C++ world. If VW had had a more mature
and modern UI framework earlier, flagships like the Adobe DTP line of
products and QuarkXPress and others along that line could have been
implemented in Smalltalk as well (for the benefit of easier
maintenance and robustness at least - my god, Quark crashes on me
every day and the cross-platform UI of Adobe InDesign doesn't look
native at all).

Any application with a complex domain that doesn't require number-
crunching would benefit from Smalltalk. If VW wants to be considered
for new commercial projects, it needs to look more "current" at first
sight.

> Feedback like this helps keep the pressure on priority for this type
> of work, so I invite others to weigh in on where their product
> improvement priorities lie.

As you know, we are making rather complex multi-media desktop
applications with a very rich GUI. These products are targeted at an
audience with high expectations concerning usability and platform
faithfulness. This is being successful so far, although we had to
invest a lot of time and money building our own frameworks. Anyway,
it's a proof of concept that it can be done.

Here's my UI wishlist:

- Cairo is great, but in order to properly integrate with Wrapper, the
latter needs a major overhaul with respect to display refreshes and
avoiding GC copying, etc. If you make all graphics transactional, that
is,  display updates properly encapsulated (on a Mac: lockFocus/
unlockFocus), many current issues and obscurities will magically go
away!

- Continue to support native fonts. Generic substitutes just don't cut
it.

- Modernize the way native windows are created/linked/configured. I
managed to do that by modifying the Mac and Windows VMs myself, but I
think it should be supported out of the box: Tool palettes, drawers,
sheets, real window parentship (i.e. children move together with
parent), etc. Hint: API-wise, the Mac can safely be considered the
superset of all platforms. If a feature isn't supported on other
platforms, just ignore it, or subsitute it with a cheap alternative.

- Menus: Use MenuBuilder (or a more capable subclass) for all menus
throughout the system. Get rid of old fashioned menu constructors.
Stick to a simple, extensible API.

- Keyboard mapping: Do not assign hard-coded shortcuts to menu items,
as these are platform-dependent. Instead, assign a symbolic key or
action (#extendSelectionRightKey:) to a menu item and have it look up
its current shortcut from the user's current keyboard mapping itself.
This makes the entire system configurable and works like a charm!

Just recently I've done a lot of new work concerning keyboard mapping.
I will submit the code soon.

One more thing about L&F policies: IMO it would make sense to
implement a configurable L&F based on skins. If a new OS version is
released, only the skin needs to be replaced.

Andre

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Thomas Brodt
Hi Thomas

I only can second what Maarten wrote about the GUI development pace, and
I hope you take that serious. So I want to add us to the list of users
that want more stuff to happen regarding the GUI development. And that
GUI is "on the roadmap" is something we hear since years, but the
results are frustrating.

You did a lot of GUI renewal regarding the browsers, the icons, etc.
This may make the product itself more attractive to new users, which is
a valid goal from your perspective. But this doesn't help anything to
build up-to-date applications for existing customers. We are today still
limited to "ugly" fonts (should be adressed since years), some kind of
XP look which is only half way complete (XP was 2002 ?), no Vista or
Win7 look and feel (L&F won't save the world, but at least were a
starting point). At least we have alpha channel icons in the new
version, but not alpha channel in general or color gradients as
background. Just compare a standard Visualworks application to other
desktop applications on your desktop. Can you see the difference?

GUI improvements are "on the roadmap" for at least a decade. There was a
reason that Pollock was started, but when Pollock was stopped, the GUI
improvements seem to have fallen back on the priority list, probably
pushed aside by Seaside, WebVelocity and alike. And what remains are
"subtle" improvements and "some" results in the browser (our end users
don't use the browser).

You seem to concentrate more on the server side, but there are still
customers out there developing client applications like us, waiting for
improvements from release to release that just don't happen. And we got
the impression that we have fallen off the radar with our needs and wishes.

The only reason I can agree on is that you have to provide low-level
support like cairo first, to be able to renew the GUI layer on top of
that (IF that will be the case). But now after more than 2 years of
experiments and development, basic cairo is only in preview. And it is
still not clear if this is the way you will go. So I assume it will take
years (or should I dare to say decades) until a renewed GUI layer will
be usable for production. And you speak of "longer term" only when you
talk of real changes that would be needed today or at least tomorrow.
And this is what makes it so overly frustrating.

Thomas

Arden Thomas schrieb:

> [...]
>> at Cincom dares to tackle this? Is it to
>> complicated for you guys to do so (even for MLS ?). Did you simply
>> give up future development for the desktop?
>>
>> I started a new Vista UI myself as sometimes I really can’t face it
>> anymore. I agree that it is pain to do because
>> of the endless graphics context copying and impressive levels in the
>> class hierarchy. At the same time let's not
>> forget that Cairo can make it a lot simpler as we can redraw without
>> flickering allowing you to build simple
>> straight forward good looking mvc L&F applications.
>>
>> Please don’t take this personally as I really appreciate many of
>> your personal efforts but who cares about a new
>> launcher and new installers, when we are jeopardising so many end-
>> users with grand mummy’s look and feel?
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> @+Maarten,

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Dennis smith-4
Just to add another voice -- we are also heavy GUI users -- with about 3000+ canvases
in production -- so we consider GUI critical too!

Andre Schnoor wrote:
[...]

Dennis Smith                 		         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="sip:dennis@CherniakSoftware.com">sip:dennis@...
Canada			         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Madhu-21
 I would also second opinions of Maarten and Thomas.

For VW users, nothing is going forward in the direction of GUI, but for
ObjectStudio users with OS8 onwards, its like asking somebody who is using
Vista to work with Windows 95 or lower. Thanks to ObjectStudio classic's
(not OS8) activex support, with the help of which we can change the look of
our end user application the way we want.

Regards,
Madhu.

> [...]
>>> at Cincom dares to tackle this? Is it to
>>> complicated for you guys to do so (even for MLS ?). Did you simply
>>> give up future development for the desktop?
>>>
>>> I started a new Vista UI myself as sometimes I really can’t face it
>>> anymore. I agree that it is pain to do because
>>> of the endless graphics context copying and impressive levels in the
>>> class hierarchy. At the same time let's not
>>> forget that Cairo can make it a lot simpler as we can redraw without
>>> flickering allowing you to build simple
>>> straight forward good looking mvc L&F applications.
>>>
>>> Please don’t take this personally as I really appreciate many of
>>> your personal efforts but who cares about a new
>>> launcher and new installers, when we are jeopardising so many end-
>>> users with grand mummy’s look and feel?
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> @+Maarten,

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

James Robertson-7
While this isn't a complete answer, I should note that the upcoming (7.7) release of VisualWorks has support for ActiveX embedding into VW windows.  So at least on Windows, you will be able to take advantage of a wide variety of off the shelf components.

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Nov 26, 2009, at 4:01 AM, Thomas Brodt wrote:

> [...]
>>> at Cincom dares to tackle this? Is it to
>>> complicated for you guys to do so (even for MLS ?). Did you simply
>>> give up future development for the desktop?
>>>
>>> I started a new Vista UI myself as sometimes I really can’t face it
>>> anymore. I agree that it is pain to do because
>>> of the endless graphics context copying and impressive levels in the
>>> class hierarchy. At the same time let's not
>>> forget that Cairo can make it a lot simpler as we can redraw without
>>> flickering allowing you to build simple
>>> straight forward good looking mvc L&F applications.
>>>
>>> Please don’t take this personally as I really appreciate many of
>>> your personal efforts but who cares about a new
>>> launcher and new installers, when we are jeopardising so many end-
>>> users with grand mummy’s look and feel?
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> @+Maarten,

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Carl Gundel
New look and feel policies would be nice, and Cairo graphics is cool,
but maybe integration of wxWidgets would be a better idea.

-Carl Gundel
Liberty BASIC for Windows - http://www.libertybasic.com
Run BASIC, easy web programming - http://www.runbasic.com

On Nov 25, 2009, at 11:51 AM, Arden Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> at Cincom dares to tackle this? Is it to
>> complicated for you guys to do so (even for MLS ?). Did you simply
>> give up future development for the desktop?
>>
>> I started a new Vista UI myself as sometimes I really can’t face it
>> anymore. I agree that it is pain to do because
>> of the endless graphics context copying and impressive levels in the
>> class hierarchy. At the same time let's not
>> forget that Cairo can make it a lot simpler as we can redraw without
>> flickering allowing you to build simple
>> straight forward good looking mvc L&F applications.
>>
>> Please don’t take this personally as I really appreciate many of
>> your personal efforts but who cares about a new
>> launcher and new installers, when we are jeopardising so many end-
>> users with grand mummy’s look and feel?
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> @+Maarten,

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Steven Kelly
GUIs are important to us, and I think to anybody who wants to sell a
product. You can give something away for free that doesn't look quite
right, but if you want money for it people expect a professional,
modern-looking GUI.

I second what Maarten, Andre and Thomas said.

The main improvements I think we need are alpha and anti-aliasing -
these being things that can't be added well in Smalltalk. The things
I've added myself in Smalltalk, such as affine transforms, gradient
fills, and dotted lines, would also be nice to get proper built-in
support for.

I think all these improvements need to end up in the base VW
GraphicsContext, to be available to all subclasses. Otherwise you can
have things that work on screen but that you can't print.

Cheers,
Steve

Alan Knight-3
Responding to various different messages in one...

 First off, thanks to everyone for the input.  We very much need ot hear from people which things they feel are important for us to be working on. You may think it's obvious that X needs to be done, but there are quite a lot of large X's that need to be done, and we still have to pick and choose between them, with limited resources.

  We certainly haven't given up on desktop development. I actually think we've done quite a bit with respect to that recently, but there's still obviously a great deal more. Updating the look and feels is something we really ought to have gotten to in this release, but didn't. With specific regard to Vista, there are issues if we want to make it look like Aero, which uses graphical techniques that our system currently can't do. Non-Aero Vista would, I think, be fairly easy, at least from what I see, because I run Vista under VMWare and it doesn't look all that different from XP.

  Supporting those kinds of graphical techniques our system can't do is also obviously important. We've been moving forward, albeit slowly, on using Cairo to provide that. We expect to continue doing so, hopefully faster. I can give you some contact numbers for people to talk to regarding our staffing.

  On a few of the specific points

  - Fonts were mentioned a couple of times, once regarding "ugly fonts", which I interpret to mean "anti-aliased fonts under X Windows", and once urging us to use native fonts and not use generic substitutes. I think that might be a vote against using the Pango sister package to Cairo in order to achieve the former, but maybe it means something else. Fonts in general are something we know needs work, but are a pretty major piece of work that we haven't done yet.

  - There was a mention of using MenuBuilder as the only way to build menus, removing other mechanisms.  In general terms, that sounds like the sort of thing we're reluctant to do, because it means that people's older code won't run. We can do that where it's necessary, but it has to be well motivated before we impose additional burden on customers who want to update to newer versions. It's not obvious to me from the request what the expected benefit is of disallowing the others. The poster with 3000+ canvases in production might not appreciate having to redo all the menus.

 - There was a mention of ActiveX support in ObjectStudio Classic but not in ObjectStudio 8 that makes it sound as if ObjectStudio 8 doesn't support ActiveX controls. That's not the case. ObjectStudio 8 has full support for ActiveX controls. And as of 7.7 VisualWorks also has the ability to embed ActiveX controls.

Finally, the initial message in this thread came after listening to one of Jim's podcasts, and referred both to Arden Thomas (our product manager) and his comments, but to a number of things Michael Lucas-Smith had talked about in other podcasts. I thinks it's advisable not to put so much weight on things in the podcasts. I haven't listened to it myself, but I suspect that Arden's comments focused on major items and didn't talk, for example, about the 250 or so ARs that we have in this release under the categories of GUI and tools, most of which are smaller, but still quite important. And that doesn't count things like the large amount of work on locales and internationalization. I hope that a few of our customers will find the ability of users to successfully enter and view characters in a much wider range of circumstances to be useful for desktop applications.

In general, comments in such forums shouldn't be taken as commitments, particularly comments from engineers about something being important, or easy. Unless the comment is of the form, "I have been working on and have almost finished..." then I'd call it speculation, not a basis for expecting something will necessarily be done, or that that person will be working on it.

--
Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Thomas Sattler
On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Alan Knight <[hidden email]> wrote:
With specific regard to Vista, there are issues if we want to make it look like Aero, which uses graphical techniques that our system currently can't do.

Alan, IMHO, if you are seriously thinking about emulating Vista, then Cincom is more behind the times than I could even imagine.

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Andre Schnoor

Alan,

  - Fonts were mentioned a couple of times

From an engineer's perspective, native fonts might seem like a minor matter of design only. Real world end users however expect to be able to use the fonts they have installed on their computer (and sometimes paid for), at least for printing and editing.

Every detail that adds to the impression a product was "ported" from some "foreign" platform causes more buyers to decide for the competition. They feel like getting isolated, locked in a closed "incompatible" world. Once I changed our products to use Lucida Grande all over, Mac users stopped lamenting and started perceiving our work as something made for "them" (admittedly, the native menu bar was also very helpful).

Just a thought: If Pango could be enhanced to support native fonts, contributing this feature to the Pango project would probably be a good investment.

Regarding Cairo:

IMO, a full switch to Cairo would be a real achievement, if the entire Smalltalk API was based on it (including Float screen coordinates) and provided that Cairo is tightly (invisibly) packaged with VW, not shipped as some separate item.

  - There was a mention of using MenuBuilder as the only way to build menus, removing other mechanisms.

No. Of course they should be still there for backwards compatibility. My point was to consequently change the Cincom-deployed code base for the benefit of making the user interface configurable and cross-platform (which it currently isn't!).

It cost me months of struggle to implement a very simple customer demand ("customizable keyboard shortcuts"), which is standard for almost every non-trivial desktop app. I ended up writing my own feel policies, keyboard dispatch tables and menu infrastructure. While doing that, I encountered a lot of hackish hard-wired menu code in the base image that was hard to decipher (let alone maintain).

Andre

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Dennis smith-4

Andre Schnoor wrote:

Alan,

  - Fonts were mentioned a couple of times

From an engineer's perspective, native fonts might seem like a minor matter of design only. Real world end users however expect to be able to use the fonts they have installed on their computer (and sometimes paid for), at least for printing and editing.

Every detail that adds to the impression a product was "ported" from some "foreign" platform causes more buyers to decide for the competition. They feel like getting isolated, locked in a closed "incompatible" world. Once I changed our products to use Lucida Grande all over, Mac users stopped lamenting and started perceiving our work as something made for "them" (admittedly, the native menu bar was also very helpful).

Just a thought: If Pango could be enhanced to support native fonts, contributing this feature to the Pango project would probably be a good investment.
Not sure I understand the above -- we use all the fonts on Windows for both display and reporting?
The GUI painter does not support other fonts, but its not all that hard to access the other fonts.

[...]

Not sure I understand this one about menus?  We use MenuBuilder as well as the menu painter -- but nothing else, I never saw the need for much else -- of course the tools do things in various strange ways -- I guess that could be a bit of a problem if you have to make changes to them.  The one things we did do was to wrap "MenuBuilder" built menus in a holder so that they could be rebuilt whenever invoked, but beyond that we found them pretty good.

Andre

Dennis Smith                 		         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="sip:dennis@CherniakSoftware.com">sip:dennis@...
Canada			         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Madhu-21
>> There was a mention of ActiveX support in ObjectStudio Classic but not in
ObjectStudio 8 that makes it sound as if ObjectStudio 8 doesn't support ActiveX
controls. That's not the case. ObjectStudio 8 has full support for ActiveX
controls. And as of 7.7 VisualWorks also has the ability to embed ActiveX controls.

My intention was not to say that ObjectStudio 8 doesn't support ActiveX controls.
My intention in that matter was the following:

Can existing customers get the latest ObjectStudio 8 / VisualWorks and deploy
their applications using ActiveX controls? The answer is no.

Can new users get the latest ObjectStudio 8 and try out ActiveX controls? The
answer is no.

For ObjectStudio Classic, the answer for both questions above is Yes. So my
intention was to say ActiveX controls do not work with ObjectStudio 8.

Since you said its not obvious that X needs to be done, I would like to mention
few points:

GUI:

I guess Visual Works emulates the GUI, so I can think of problems supporting
different operating systems, but ObjectStudio uses Windows native controls and
still ObjectStudio doesn't even have the look of Windows XP.

Modelling tool:

I have been using ObjectStudio for over a decade now, and I never really used
Modelling tool, because every now and then debugger used to pop up. Today, in our
application, we have around 3000 to 4000 classes and as an existing customer, I
would say that Modelling tool is not going to help us in any way. Sometime in
future, we plan to use Glorp, in that case too, we would not use Modelling tool.
In the cincomsmalltalk website
(http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=roadmap) it was
clearly mentioned that its for new users and this in on Cincom's priority list.
For us as existing customer this has no priority at all.

Designer:

The designer had never been friendly for users. But over the time I got used to
it. Now with newer ObjectStudio versions, it has become even more unfriendly.

IDE:

In http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=roadmap this
was in the priority list for ObjectStudio 8: Update the look of the IDE with
modern widgets. I would have preferred the feel of IDE to be on the priority list
rather than the look of the IDE. From time to time, I work with .net IDE, I still
prefer ObjectStudio classic class browser over the nice looking .net IDE.

Regards,
Madhu.

On Fri 27/11/09 19:06 , Alan Knight [hidden email] sent:

> [...]
> internationalization. I hope that a few of our customers will find the
> ability of users to successfully enter and view characters in a much
> wider range of circumstances to be useful for desktop applications.
>
> In general, comments in such forums shouldn't be taken as
> commitments, particularly comments from engineers about something
> being important, or easy. Unless the comment is of the form, "I have
> been working on and have almost finished..." then I'd call it
> speculation, not a basis for expecting something will necessarily be
> done, or that that person will be working on it.
> -- Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
> [hidden email] [hidden email]  http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk [1]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

See below:

On Nov 28, 2009, at 10:14 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

>>> There was a mention of ActiveX support in ObjectStudio Classic but not in
> ObjectStudio 8 that makes it sound as if ObjectStudio 8 doesn't support ActiveX
> controls. That's not the case. ObjectStudio 8 has full support for ActiveX
> controls. And as of 7.7 VisualWorks also has the ability to embed ActiveX controls.
>

> My intention was not to say that ObjectStudio 8 doesn't support ActiveX controls.
> My intention in that matter was the following:
>
> Can existing customers get the latest ObjectStudio 8 / VisualWorks and deploy
> their applications using ActiveX controls? The answer is no.

Um, I have no idea what you mean by that.  ObjectStudio 8.1 (which existing customers have already received) supports ActiveX controls.
I've done a few screencasts on that.  If there are bugs, by all means, report them to support

You can get access to ongoing builds as well via the developer program.

On the modeling tool, I understand your point.  However, if you plan to use Glorp, the Mapping tool may be a lot of help - and it's been a major focus of the 8.2 cycle as well.

> [...]
>>
>> In general, comments in such forums shouldn't be taken as
>> commitments, particularly comments from engineers about something
>> being important, or easy. Unless the comment is of the form, "I have
>> been working on and have almost finished..." then I'd call it
>> speculation, not a basis for expecting something will necessarily be
>> done, or that that person will be working on it.
>> -- Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
>> [hidden email] [hidden email]  http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk [1]
>>

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Hi Alan,

The ones who advocate Smalltalk most of the time underline its mallability and dynamic character. If cincom is capable of underpinning a new modern UI's underneath 3000+ canvas type applications then you Cincom can go to Gartner and tell them  He guys this is what "we" have been doing recently with user investements and dynamic languages. That could kick Cincom Smalltalk to the reallly hot place to be.

For now I am still dissapointed with the pace and efforts you have been putting on the UI developement. We don't have a Pango editor nor a new Grid we don't even have a Win95 type date selector to mention a few. The podcast's bottom line confirmed that the centre of gravity of product deelopement was not on the screaming delai in the UI.

Notice that Michael keeps the show going with strong positions on anything within the Smalltalk world (If you don't listen to the podcasts then read his Pahrao posting). This is fine to me and it is cool then we have this podcasts in the community, but here in France we would typically call him a Grosse Tête which is why I didn't really see the problem to remind him to some of his older statements.

I think the Pango fonts look great and consistent on all the platforms I tested: Linux OSX, Windows and PDF. I use them where I can.  Please integrate !

I love the new Internationalisation capabilites ! Please continue !

I really think that new Aero, Gnome and OSX looks can be done correctly with Cairo. Being able to redraw without flicker is a huge simplification and associating it with announcements and starting it from scratch instead of underneath win95/Win98/WinNT/Win2000/WinXP class strucutre would really simplify the design of these "skins". The only real problem I see is being able to  pick up a more time independant aniation cycle. I  redid  the progress bar in Cairo many moons ago, but was incapable of getting the UI update cycles come in regulary with the things I was waiting for.

There is somethng else I don't quite understand however. Making true visual enhancements is really fun work to do. If I was a cincom engineer I would love to have this job.

@+Maarten,

Alan Knight a écrit :
[...]

Travis Griggs-3

On Nov 28, 2009, at 2:53 AM, Andre Schnoor wrote:

> Alan,
>
>>   - Fonts were mentioned a couple of times

I must have missed the mentioning of fonts a couple of times.

> Just a thought: If Pango could be enhanced to support native fonts,
> contributing this feature to the Pango project would probably be a
> good investment.

I'm not sure what you mean Andre. Pango supports multiple backends,
including OSX. In what way do you want it to be "native"?

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Michael Lucas-Smith-2

> For now I am still dissapointed with the pace and efforts you have
> been putting on the UI developement. We don't have a Pango editor nor
> a new Grid we don't even have a Win95 type date selector to mention a
> few. The podcast's bottom line confirmed that the centre of gravity of
> product deelopement was not on the screaming delai in the UI.
I tend to think of the UI as three parts: implementation, look and feel.

Without a doubt, the 'look' part of the UI got next to no attention in
7.7. The tools however did get a whole host of new icons which were only
possible because the implementation and feel got quite a lot of work.
Most of it you may not even notice because the changes are designed to
make our widgets behave more like native widgets.

For example, when you click on a selected item in a list, it doesn't
deselect any more. I don't know how many years I've toiled with the
muscle memory of "the VW way" versus "every other application I have
way". Finally, they're one in the same. Many keyboard shortcuts in the
editor are now standard too - ctrl+f will actually do a find for example.

Other cosmetic UI changes, such as the last line of a list showing even
if it's only partially visible. Icons can now have an alpha channel that
renders properly (although, not accelerated).

There are numerous other changes too that all add up to a subtle
improvement in the quality of the UI experience.

There are many many things that we can do to improve the look of the UI
- such as using the right colours on mac osx. As we refactor and improve
the underpinnings, the exterior will improve too.

The debate about using native widgets vs emulated widgets is a long, hot
and bothered one. It's worth noting that while it may seem incredibly
difficult to emulate the Aero look and feel, the aero widgets first
appeared in Microsoft Word before aero made its first appearance in
Windows Vista - in other words, Word has (for a long time now) kept its
own widget set.. or in other terms, an "emulated" widget set. Ideally,
we'd be mixing and matching as if there's no tomorrow with the caveat on
portability of your application.

Some of the work being done in ObjectStudio brings us closer to doing
that - but mainly for windows. For a real solution, we'd need to do it
cross platform. And there's the rub, you have to walk before you can
run. That's the real reason why Cairo is in preview for 7.7; we may know
how to use the cairo API but this is the first time we'd be trying to
support the cairo API. OpenGL is included in 7.7 as well as a
contributed package. This is the same story as cairo, except that we're
two steps behind on its maturity compared to cairo.

I'm an eternal optimist, so I'll continue to see the positive side on
the progress that has been made and will to come, which probably comes
through in the podcasts. There is no direct correlation between optimism
and delivery.

Pango, for instance, certainly does a good job of marrying modern text
layout techniques with platform fonts but in the process it abstracts
you far far away from how anything actually gets done and also abstracts
you away from the real fonts (you use their font matcher). Is that good
enough? I don't know.

Straight from the horses mouth on the latest in font layout technology:
http://behdad.org/text/ -- even here it's unclear exactly what should be
done for high profile projects like Mozilla who have invested a great
deal of time and energy in to international text layout.

When all is said and done, I'm still a huge supporter of more UI
improvements for 7.8 and hopefully our management will agree. The more
you guys and gals talk it up on the mailing list, the more confident
management has prioritising it - like Alan said, it's hard to sometimes
tell which of the bleeding super uber important priorities are really
the mosst bleeding super and uber.

Michael

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Andre Schnoor
Travis,

>> Just a thought: If Pango could be enhanced to support native fonts,
>> contributing this feature to the Pango project would probably be a
>> good investment.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean Andre. Pango supports multiple backends,
> including OSX. In what way do you want it to be "native"?

IIRC, last time we talked about Pango it was impossible to use, for
example, the Lucida Grande font (at least from within Smalltalk).
Looking at the Pango site now, I see it claims to support native fonts
through ATSUI. That sounds like a great progress.

Sorry, obviously I missed that.

Andre

Re: [vwnc] Does Cincom give up the Desktop ?

Runar Jordahl
2009/11/26 Andre Schnoor <[hidden email]>:
> Any application with a complex domain that doesn't require number-
> crunching would benefit from Smalltalk. If VW wants to be considered
> for new commercial projects, it needs to look more "current" at first
> sight.

We use VisualWorks (7.6) to develop an application which does heavy
Monte Carlo simulations. Even if raw speed would be better with a
"c-like" language, we still benefit from using Smalltalk. To improve
speed we will need to move computation to multiple PCs, and then the
ability to do so (tools, frameworks) are more important than raw
speed.

We deploy to the desktop (Windows) and also feel the pain of using the
old VisualWorks UI framework. I always had hope for Pollock
(Widgetry). I really liked the programming model, and spent a lot of
time testing it, Now I think this was a doomed project from the start.
It used the old graphics context and lacked many advances in modern UI
frameworks. Basically it was Wrapper with a better API. The old pig
with lipstick...

I have no hope for Cincom to provide a brand new UI framework to
replace Wrapper. I start to wonder if interfacing to an external UI
framework (like QT or WPF) would be better. At least someone at Cincom
should look at what other "small"/"niche" languages do: (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_%28toolkit%29#Bindings ) Maybe
Smalltalk is too small to create everything within itself. UI and
source code control are two candidates for "outsourcing".

Runar
12