[vwnc] Gartner and Smalltalk::expired link

[vwnc] Gartner and Smalltalk::expired link

jtuchel
Hi there,

James put up an interesting post about Gartner having changed their
minds about Smalltalk. His blogpost cam be found here:
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=Gartner_is_no_longer_kicking_Smalltalk&entry=3390819360

Unfortunately, while I remember having read the document he linked to, I
just came back just to see that the document is no longer online, at
least at this address.

Does anybody know if that document is available online? I suspect it's
unlikely because Gartner wants to sell such papers...

I just recently promised to somebody that I'd send them a link....

Kind regards

Joachim

Re: [vwnc] Gartner and Smalltalk::expired link

Steven Kelly
Found with a Google search on:
cache:http://mediaproducts.gartner.com/reprints/microfocus/151340.html

Another option (that doesn't work here) for any <URL> is:
http://web.archive.org/*/<URL>

Steve

Steven,

thanks. I had forgotten about the google cache, and had had no luck with
web archive as well.

cu

Joachim

Steven Kelly schrieb:

> Found with a Google search on:
> cache:http://mediaproducts.gartner.com/reprints/microfocus/151340.html
>
> Another option (that doesn't work here) for any <URL> is:
> http://web.archive.org/*/<URL>
>
> Steve

Cesar Rabak
Steven Kelly escreveu:
> Found with a Google search on:
> cache:http://mediaproducts.gartner.com/reprints/microfocus/151340.html
>
> Another option (that doesn't work here) for any <URL> is:
> http://web.archive.org/*/<URL>

Which shows Gartner did not change its mind after of all:

<quote>
However, languages such as Programming Language/One (PL/1) and RPG are
following Smalltalk, Advanced Programming Language (APL) and FORTRAN
into their "twilight" years.
</quote>

Notice Smalltalk is used as the example for the "twilight"! :-(

The entry in the table is even more illustrative:

<quote>
Community has shrunk substantially. Language can still be considered
mature in versions supported by vendors such as Instantiations and
Cincom. Unsupported versions are classed as aging.
</quote>

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.