[vwnc] GemKit 4.0 for Store is available

[vwnc] GemKit 4.0 for Store is available

Paul Baumann
GemKit enables GemStone/S code to be stored and managed using VisualWorks source code tools. GemKit is public domain code with a long history from many sources. GemKit 4.0 is the latest version of these tools, and is significantly redesigned and improved over earlier versions. GemKit 4.0 was demonstrated at Smalltalk Solutions 2008 on June 19th. It is available in the Cincom Public Store Repository under the name "GemKit GemStone Source Code Management". Access information can be found at http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/CincomSmalltalkWiki/Public+Store+Repository.

There are probably a half dozen distributions that go by the name "GemKit". This distribution is likely to be the most mature and robust. It will be updated regularly and community development is encouraged. The most recent build number published is 4.0 004.0. It has been used on VW 7.3.1, 7.5, and 7.6.

Even VW developers that don't use GemStone will find GemKit useful. The GemKit "Release Assistant" tool makes team development and integration easy. It features partial merge features that are ideal for multiple-path development.

Refer to bundle and package comments for more information.

Paul Baumann
[hidden email]

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.

Re: [vwnc] GemKit 4.0 for Store and GLASS

dtrussardi@tiscali.it
Paul,

i work with VW 7.6 and Gemstone OODB with GLASS.

My question is : can the Gemkit 4.0 work well for development and deployment GLASS solutions?

Thank,
    Dario Trussardi

Re: [vwnc] GemKit 4.0 for Store and GLASS

Paul Baumann
That should work fine as long as you have GemBuilder (GBS) and can login to GemStone from VW.

Paul Baumann
[hidden email]

Re: [vwnc] GemKit 4.0 for Store and GLASS

Paul Baumann
Dario,

The GLASS keyfile contains "NO_GciTraversal". I don't see documentation for that flag but I presume that is intended to prevent GBS use. Sorry, I haven't tried installing VW on the Linux appliance to see if login from VW is allowed. GemKit currently has GBS (for VW) as a prerequisite. It is possible to modify GemKit to pipe code definitions through topaz, but right now it requires GS logins with GBS. If the keyfile is the limiting factor then you'd need a different key file from GemStone, and GBS for VW. Piping though topaz would be faster anyway.

Paul Baumann
[hidden email]

That should work fine as long as you have GemBuilder (GBS) and can login to GemStone from VW.

Paul Baumann
[hidden email]

Re: [vwnc] GemKit 4.0 for Store and GLASS

Steve Aldred-3
Paul Baumann wrote:

> The GLASS keyfile contains "NO_GciTraversal". I don't see
> documentation for that flag but I presume that is intended to prevent
> GBS use....
I'd say that's a good guess.

This morning on the GemStone Beta list James Foster of GemStone said  "
the no-cost version of GemStone/S does not support VW".

cheers
Steve