[vwnc] Linux 7.6 - Unhandled exception: Kernel.TimeoutExceeded

[vwnc] Linux 7.6 - Unhandled exception: Kernel.TimeoutExceeded

Thomas Gagné-2
This error started showing-up today in my vwnc7.6.  Very odd.  Does
anyone know what it means?

Unhandled exception: Kernel.TimeoutExceeded
optimized [] in [] in BlockClosure>>valueWithinSeconds:orDo:
optimized [] in [] in Process>>interruptWith:

optimized [] in [] in BlockClosure>>valueWithinSeconds:orDo:
Receiver:
        an UndefinedObject
Context PC = 4

optimized [] in [] in Process>>interruptWith:
Receiver:
        an UndefinedObject
Temporaries:
        .aBlock = BlockClosure [] in [] in
BlockClosure>>valueWithinSeconds:orDo:
        .super = a Process in Process>>resume
        savedList = nil
        savedContext = nil
Context PC = 5

--
Visit <http://tggagne.blogspot.com/> for more great reading.

Re: [vwnc] Linux 7.6 - Unhandled exception: Kernel.TimeoutExceeded

Alan Knight-2
If you look at the senders, these are sent by the inspectors. When they try to evaluate the printString for an object, if it doesn't terminate within a certain period, they stop and print an error string instead. But they should always be invoked within an exception handler. So I don't know why you'd be getting debuggers.

At 10:55 AM 4/2/2008, Thomas Gagné wrote:
[...]

Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development

Re: [vwnc] Linux 7.6 - Unhandled exception: Kernel.TimeoutExceeded

Holger Kleinsorgen-3
Alan Knight schrieb:
> If you look at the senders, these are sent by the inspectors. When they try to evaluate the printString for an object, if it doesn't terminate within a certain period, they stop and print an error string instead. But they should always be invoked within an exception handler. So I don't know why you'd be getting debuggers.

the error handler doesn't enclose the fork of the watchdog, so the
following code creates an UHE:

[nil] valueWithinSeconds: 0 orDo: [nil]

Patch:
------
valueWithinSeconds: aNumber orDo: alternateBlock

   | timedProcess timer |
   timedProcess := Processor activeProcess.
   timer := Process
       forBlock:
       [  ( Delay forSeconds: aNumber ) wait.
         timedProcess interruptWith: [ TimeoutExceeded raise ]
       ]
       priority: Processor timingPriority.
   ^ [  timer resume.
     [ self value ] ensure: [ timer terminate ]
   ] on: TimeoutExceeded do: [: ex | alternateBlock value ]
----

btw, Inspector>>text uses "valueWithinSeconds: 5000", ca. 83 Minutes ;)