[vwnc] MacOS X Command Line Trouble

Steffen Märcker
Hi,

today I've run into trouble starting vw 7.6 from the shell. Every attempt
leads to the following exception:

VisualWorks(R) 7.5 Non-Commercial Mar 3, 2008
src/mman/mmScavenge.c 2375
Out of memory.

I've taken care to set the vw env. variable properly and have the strange
situation, that double-clicking an image works well. In the shell it
doesn't matter whether I start via script (below) or type in the commands
by myself.

#!/bin/bash
VISUALWORKS=/Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc/
export VISUALWORKS
/Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc/bin/macx/visual.app/Contents/MacOS/visual $* &

Script start: ./startvw.sh animage.im
The vm's version information:

VisualWorks(R) 7.6 Feb 28 2008
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Cincom Systems, Inc.
Release identification ...
        OE   version: 63 platform: 52 release: 63.13 flags: 0
        VI   version: 0 minor: 0 release: 0 variant: 0
        From version: 0 platform: 0 release: 0.1 flags: 0

I am a bit surprised, that the exception states 7.5 while the version
information claims 7.6. I've never installed another version than 7.6.

My system:
- Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Intel MacBook 10/2008
- 2GB RAM
- no administrative rights (tested it as Administrator too - no
difference).

Has anybody else seen this before and can help me?

Steffen

Re: [vwnc] MacOS X Command Line Trouble

david.long
If you're getting an out of memory error right way - it could be a tight loop, a method calling itself by accident. What does the stack trace look like?

David

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 12:57 +0100, Steffen Märcker wrote:
[...]

	From version: 0 platform: 0 release: 0.1 flags: 0

I am a bit surprised, that the exception states 7.5 while the version
information claims 7.6. I've never installed another version than 7.6.

My system:
- Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Intel MacBook 10/2008
- 2GB RAM
- no administrative rights (tested it as Administrator too - no
difference).

Has anybody else seen this before and can help me?

Steffen

SageTea Group
Phone 613 722 2091 extension 5
http://www.sageteagroup.com

There are 10 different kinds of people in the world,
those that understand binary and those that don't. ;-)

Re: [vwnc] MacOS X Command Line Trouble

James Robertson-7
Oh, when you brought this up in the irc, I missed the obvious.

Note the error: you're starting a VW7.5 VM, but using a VW 7.6 image.
You can run older images with newer VMs (within the same major release
family), but not the other way around

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Mar 24, 2009, at 7:57 AM, Steffen Märcker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> today I've run into trouble starting vw 7.6 from the shell. Every
> attempt
> leads to the following exception:
>
> VisualWorks(R) 7.5 Non-Commercial Mar 3, 2008
> src/mman/mmScavenge.c 2375
> Out of memory.
>
> I've taken care to set the vw env. variable properly and have the
> strange
> situation, that double-clicking an image works well. In the shell it
> doesn't matter whether I start via script (below) or type in the
> commands
> by myself.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> VISUALWORKS=/Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc/
> export VISUALWORKS
> /Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc/bin/macx/visual.app/Contents/MacOS/visual $* &
>
> Script start: ./startvw.sh animage.im
> The vm's version information:
>
> VisualWorks(R) 7.6 Feb 28 2008
> Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Cincom Systems, Inc.
> Release identification ...
> OE   version: 63 platform: 52 release: 63.13 flags: 0
> VI   version: 0 minor: 0 release: 0 variant: 0
> From version: 0 platform: 0 release: 0.1 flags: 0
>
> I am a bit surprised, that the exception states 7.5 while the version
> information claims 7.6. I've never installed another version than 7.6.
>
> My system:
> - Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Intel MacBook 10/2008
> - 2GB RAM
> - no administrative rights (tested it as Administrator too - no
> difference).
>
> Has anybody else seen this before and can help me?
>
> Steffen

Re: [vwnc] MacOS X Command Line Trouble

Steffen Märcker
I've just tried to fire up the standard image from the distribution - I've
got no stack trace or error.log.

Steffen

Am 24.03.2009, 13:32 Uhr, schrieb david <[hidden email]>:

> If you're getting an out of memory error right way - it could be a tight
> loop, a method calling itself by accident. What does the stack trace
> look like?
>
> David
>
> On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 12:57 +0100, Steffen Märcker wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> today I've run into trouble starting vw 7.6 from the shell. Every
>> attempt
>> leads to the following exception:
>>
>> VisualWorks(R) 7.5 Non-Commercial Mar 3, 2008
>> src/mman/mmScavenge.c 2375
>> Out of memory.
>>
>> I've taken care to set the vw env. variable properly and have the
>> strange
>> situation, that double-clicking an image works well. In the shell it
>> doesn't matter whether I start via script (below) or type in the
>> commands
>> by myself.
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> VISUALWORKS=/Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc/
>> export VISUALWORKS
>> /Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc/bin/macx/visual.app/Contents/MacOS/visual $* &
>>
>> Script start: ./startvw.sh animage.im
>> The vm's version information:
>>
>> VisualWorks(R) 7.6 Feb 28 2008
>> Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Cincom Systems, Inc.
>> Release identification ...
>> OE   version: 63 platform: 52 release: 63.13 flags: 0
>> VI   version: 0 minor: 0 release: 0 variant: 0
>> From version: 0 platform: 0 release: 0.1 flags: 0
>>
>> I am a bit surprised, that the exception states 7.5 while the version
>> information claims 7.6. I've never installed another version than 7.6.
>>
>> My system:
>> - Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Intel MacBook 10/2008
>> - 2GB RAM
>> - no administrative rights (tested it as Administrator too - no
>> difference).
>>
>> Has anybody else seen this before and can help me?
>>
>> Steffen
>

> SageTea Group
> Phone 613 722 2091 extension 5
> http://www.sageteagroup.com
>
> There are 10 different kinds of people in the world,
> those that understand binary and those that don't. ;-)

Re: [vwnc] MacOS X Command Line Trouble - Addition

Steffen Märcker
And I've found this in Mac OS X's logs:

24.03.09 12:01:22 com.apple.launchd[145]
([0x0-0x3d03d].com.cincom.vw7.6[241]) Exited with exit code: 5

That's all I've got...

Steffen

Am 24.03.2009, 12:57 Uhr, schrieb Steffen Märcker <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> today I've run into trouble starting vw 7.6 from the shell. Every attempt
> leads to the following exception:
>
> VisualWorks(R) 7.5 Non-Commercial Mar 3, 2008
> src/mman/mmScavenge.c 2375
> Out of memory.
>
> I've taken care to set the vw env. variable properly and have the strange
> situation, that double-clicking an image works well. In the shell it
> doesn't matter whether I start via script (below) or type in the commands
> by myself.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> VISUALWORKS=/Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc/
> export VISUALWORKS
> /Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc/bin/macx/visual.app/Contents/MacOS/visual $* &
>
> Script start: ./startvw.sh animage.im
> The vm's version information:
>
> VisualWorks(R) 7.6 Feb 28 2008
> Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Cincom Systems, Inc.
> Release identification ...
> OE   version: 63 platform: 52 release: 63.13 flags: 0
> VI   version: 0 minor: 0 release: 0 variant: 0
> From version: 0 platform: 0 release: 0.1 flags: 0
>
> I am a bit surprised, that the exception states 7.5 while the version
> information claims 7.6. I've never installed another version than 7.6.
>
> My system:
> - Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Intel MacBook 10/2008
> - 2GB RAM
> - no administrative rights (tested it as Administrator too - no
> difference).
>
> Has anybody else seen this before and can help me?
>
> Steffen

Re: [vwnc] MacOS X Command Line Trouble

Andres Valloud-4
Steffen,

The failure is, almost certainly, an issue where the image uses up all
available memory while starting up.  Eventually, a scavenge is attempted
when there is not enough space to tenure objects, and so the VM fails
because it can't run the image as specified by the memory policy.

There are a few things to try.  If you can reproduce the issue with the
debug VM, then rerun the failure with the -o10s VM switch (comes before
the image in the command line).  This should output all the messages
being sent to the console.  If there is some infinite recursion, then
this should become evident.

It could also be that the image was saved with modified sizesAtStartup,
particularly larger eden and survivor spaces (first and second entries
in the sizesAtStartup array).  In that case, you may have to try the -h
VM switch with some value like 20000000.

Andres.

Steffen Märcker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> today I've run into trouble starting vw 7.6 from the shell. Every attempt
> leads to the following exception:
>
> VisualWorks(R) 7.5 Non-Commercial Mar 3, 2008
> src/mman/mmScavenge.c 2375
> Out of memory.
>
> I've taken care to set the vw env. variable properly and have the strange
> situation, that double-clicking an image works well. In the shell it
> doesn't matter whether I start via script (below) or type in the commands
> by myself.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> VISUALWORKS=/Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc/
> export VISUALWORKS
> /Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc/bin/macx/visual.app/Contents/MacOS/visual $* &
>
> Script start: ./startvw.sh animage.im
> The vm's version information:
>
> VisualWorks(R) 7.6 Feb 28 2008
> Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Cincom Systems, Inc.
> Release identification ...
>         OE   version: 63 platform: 52 release: 63.13 flags: 0
>         VI   version: 0 minor: 0 release: 0 variant: 0
>         From version: 0 platform: 0 release: 0.1 flags: 0
>
> I am a bit surprised, that the exception states 7.5 while the version
> information claims 7.6. I've never installed another version than 7.6.
>
> My system:
> - Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Intel MacBook 10/2008
> - 2GB RAM
> - no administrative rights (tested it as Administrator too - no
> difference).
>
> Has anybody else seen this before and can help me?
>
> Steffen

Re: [vwnc] MacOS X Command Line Trouble

Steffen Märcker
That's something I do not understand too, because this vm identifies
itself via the command line switch -v as 7.6.

Am 24.03.2009, 13:34 Uhr, schrieb James Robertson <[hidden email]>:

> Oh, when you brought this up in the irc, I missed the obvious.
>
> Note the error: you're starting a VW7.5 VM, but using a VW 7.6 image.
> You can run older images with newer VMs (within the same major release
> family), but not the other way around
>
> James Robertson
> Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
> Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library
>

> On Mar 24, 2009, at 7:57 AM, Steffen Märcker wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> today I've run into trouble starting vw 7.6 from the shell. Every
>> attempt
>> leads to the following exception:
>>
>> VisualWorks(R) 7.5 Non-Commercial Mar 3, 2008
>> src/mman/mmScavenge.c 2375
>> Out of memory.
>>
>> I've taken care to set the vw env. variable properly and have the
>> strange
>> situation, that double-clicking an image works well. In the shell it
>> doesn't matter whether I start via script (below) or type in the
>> commands
>> by myself.
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> VISUALWORKS=/Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc/
>> export VISUALWORKS
>> /Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc/bin/macx/visual.app/Contents/MacOS/visual $* &
>>
>> Script start: ./startvw.sh animage.im
>> The vm's version information:
>>
>> VisualWorks(R) 7.6 Feb 28 2008
>> Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Cincom Systems, Inc.
>> Release identification ...
>> OE   version: 63 platform: 52 release: 63.13 flags: 0
>> VI   version: 0 minor: 0 release: 0 variant: 0
>> From version: 0 platform: 0 release: 0.1 flags: 0
>>
>> I am a bit surprised, that the exception states 7.5 while the version
>> information claims 7.6. I've never installed another version than 7.6.
>>
>> My system:
>> - Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Intel MacBook 10/2008
>> - 2GB RAM
>> - no administrative rights (tested it as Administrator too - no
>> difference).
>>
>> Has anybody else seen this before and can help me?
>>
>> Steffen

Re: [vwnc] MacOS X Command Line Trouble

Steffen Märcker
I've been able to reproduce it with the debug VM (vwmacxdgb) and -o10s.
The logfile is attached. Using the -h switch hasn't change the situation.

And I've just tried the virtual machines beeing seperately available for
download. The universal binary shows the same behaviour, the Intel version
is a bit more talkative :

24.03.09 16:27:05 visual[741] *** Terminating app due to uncaught
exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[NSCFDictionary
setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value (key: NSFont)'
24.03.09 16:27:05 visual[741] Stack: (
     2497552651,
     2493427259,
     2497552107,
     2497552170,
     2528680952,
     612654,
     556780,
     350705
)

Steffen

debug.log.zip (49K) Download Attachment

Re: [vwnc] MacOS X Command Line Trouble

Steffen Märcker
I can confirm the behaviour on two more MacBooks (new and old ones) with a
fresh install of vw7.6nc. To sum up:

universal binary vm: crashes
x86 vm: crashes
x11 vm: WORKS

Steffen

Am 24.03.2009, 16:52 Uhr, schrieb Steffen Märcker <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>> export VISUALWORKS
>>> /Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc/bin/macx/visual.app/Contents/MacOS/visual $* &
>>>
>>> Script start: ./startvw.sh animage.im
>>> The vm's version information:
>>>
>>> VisualWorks(R) 7.6 Feb 28 2008
>>> Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Cincom Systems, Inc.
>>> Release identification ...
>>>         OE   version: 63 platform: 52 release: 63.13 flags: 0
>>>         VI   version: 0 minor: 0 release: 0 variant: 0
>>>         From version: 0 platform: 0 release: 0.1 flags: 0
>>>
>>> I am a bit surprised, that the exception states 7.5 while the version
>>> information claims 7.6. I've never installed another version than 7.6.
>>>
>>> My system:
>>> - Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Intel MacBook 10/2008
>>> - 2GB RAM
>>> - no administrative rights (tested it as Administrator too - no
>>> difference).
>>>
>>> Has anybody else seen this before and can help me?

Someone pointed out in the irc channel, that it might be a locale issue
and somehow (see the debug log) related to fonts. I don't know whether
this can be relevant, but in German the current month "march" is called
"März" - maybe the Umlauts (ä ö ü) shoot back?

"Locale current name" evaluates to #C

> [...]

>>> export VISUALWORKS
>>> /Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc/bin/macx/visual.app/Contents/MacOS/visual $* &
>>>
>>> Script start: ./startvw.sh animage.im
>>> The vm's version information:
>>>
>>> VisualWorks(R) 7.6 Feb 28 2008
>>> Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Cincom Systems, Inc.
>>> Release identification ...
>>>         OE   version: 63 platform: 52 release: 63.13 flags: 0
>>>         VI   version: 0 minor: 0 release: 0 variant: 0
>>>         From version: 0 platform: 0 release: 0.1 flags: 0
>>>
>>> I am a bit surprised, that the exception states 7.5 while the version
>>> information claims 7.6. I've never installed another version than 7.6.
>>>
>>> My system:
>>> - Mac OS X 10.5.6 on Intel MacBook 10/2008
>>> - 2GB RAM
>>> - no administrative rights (tested it as Administrator too - no
>>> difference).
>>>
>>> Has anybody else seen this before and can help me?

Stew MacLean
Hi Steffen,

Ages ago with VW7.5 I had problems changing fonts on Mac OS X (PPC). It
transpired it was a font problem in the VM. Here is a segment of the
stack dump:

Thread 1 Crashed:
0   com.apple.Foundation     0x90a8d2c0 _NSRaiseError + 0xf8
1   com.apple.Foundation     0x90a8d1a4 +[NSException raise:format:]
+ 0x2c
2   com.apple.Foundation     0x90a24f00 -[NSCFDictionary
setObject:forKey:] + 0x90
3   crunch                   0x000a9d08 -[STScribe
initWithFontDescription:] + 0x2f0 (macXSTScribe.m:159)
4   crunch                   0x0009ee30 primNewOpenFont + 0x1d4
(macXFont.m:109)
5   crunch                   0x00061a74 rtPrimGlue1 + 0x34
(dnu.c:361)
6   crunch                   0x0003c1a4 launchSystem + 0x3c
(mmInit.c:515)
7   crunch                   0x00069ae4 initStacksOnStack + 0xb0
(stackzone.c:117)
8   crunch                   0x0003c154 startKernel + 0x84
(mmInit.c:498)
9   crunch                   0x0000dafc startSupervisor + 0x64
(exInit.c:296)
10  crunch                   0x0008e8e8 -[STApplication
startInThreadWith:] + 0x3c (macXSTApplication.m:268)
11  com.apple.AppKit         0x9309bbd0 +[NSApplication
_startDrawingThread:] + 0x60
12  com.apple.Foundation     0x90a6a4b8 forkThreadForFunction + 0x6c
13  libSystem.B.dylib         0x90024990 _pthread_body + 0x28

Longshot, but maybe useful?

HTH,

Stewart

Behalf

&

7.6.

Re: [vwnc] MacOS X Command Line Trouble

Roland Wagener
Hi Steffen

my collegue just remembered a support case some years ago, where the
environment setup was responsible for a crashing VM on MacOSX.

In your user folder (e.g. /Users/roland/ ), you should have a folder
named '.MacOSX', which can hold a file called 'environment.plist'. This
Plist (Property List) can be used to setup environment variables for
you, they are installed when you log into MacOSX. It is a mechanism
somewhat like a '.cshrc' file on other Unix/Linux systems. A customer
once had a setup for variable 'LANG' with the value 'de_DE'. In the
Plist, it looked like this:
         <key>LANG</key>
         <string>de_DE</string>

And because of that setup, VisualWorks was not runnable on this machine!
My setup does NOT include this definition, and I am using VW for years
on MacOSX.

Hope this helps!

Roland
--
Roland Wagener * Senior Consultant * [hidden email]
Tel: x49-231-9 75 99-26   Fax: x49-231-9 75 99-20

Stewart MacLean schrieb:

> Hi Steffen,
>
> Ages ago with VW7.5 I had problems changing fonts on Mac OS X (PPC). It
> transpired it was a font problem in the VM. Here is a segment of the
> stack dump:
>
> Thread 1 Crashed:
> 0   com.apple.Foundation     0x90a8d2c0 _NSRaiseError + 0xf8
> 1   com.apple.Foundation     0x90a8d1a4 +[NSException raise:format:]
> + 0x2c
> 2   com.apple.Foundation     0x90a24f00 -[NSCFDictionary
> setObject:forKey:] + 0x90
> 3   crunch                   0x000a9d08 -[STScribe
> initWithFontDescription:] + 0x2f0 (macXSTScribe.m:159)
> 4   crunch                   0x0009ee30 primNewOpenFont + 0x1d4
> (macXFont.m:109)
> 5   crunch                   0x00061a74 rtPrimGlue1 + 0x34
> (dnu.c:361)
> 6   crunch                   0x0003c1a4 launchSystem + 0x3c
> (mmInit.c:515)
> 7   crunch                   0x00069ae4 initStacksOnStack + 0xb0
> (stackzone.c:117)
> 8   crunch                   0x0003c154 startKernel + 0x84
> (mmInit.c:498)
> 9   crunch                   0x0000dafc startSupervisor + 0x64
> (exInit.c:296)
> 10  crunch                   0x0008e8e8 -[STApplication
> startInThreadWith:] + 0x3c (macXSTApplication.m:268)
> 11  com.apple.AppKit         0x9309bbd0 +[NSApplication
> _startDrawingThread:] + 0x60
> 12  com.apple.Foundation     0x90a6a4b8 forkThreadForFunction + 0x6c
> 13  libSystem.B.dylib         0x90024990 _pthread_body + 0x28

> Longshot, but maybe useful?
>
> HTH,
>
> Stewart

Thank you Roland,

unfortunatly this is not the reason. My .plist doesn't containt the
lanugage variable.
But this is a useful tip for all VW Users on MacOS X to set the
VISUALWORKS variable globally. Edit or create
/Users/YourName/environment.plist and add the variable:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
           <key>VISUALWORKS</key>
           <string>/Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc</string>
</dict>
</plist>

This could be perfectly done from within VW in future releases...

Ciao, Steffen

Am 27.03.2009, 13:45 Uhr, schrieb Roland Wagener <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Steffen
>
> my collegue just remembered a support case some years ago, where the
> environment setup was responsible for a crashing VM on MacOSX.
>
> In your user folder (e.g. /Users/roland/ ), you should have a folder
> named '.MacOSX', which can hold a file called 'environment.plist'. This
> Plist (Property List) can be used to setup environment variables for
> you, they are installed when you log into MacOSX. It is a mechanism
> somewhat like a '.cshrc' file on other Unix/Linux systems. A customer
> once had a setup for variable 'LANG' with the value 'de_DE'. In the
> Plist, it looked like this:
>          <key>LANG</key>
>          <string>de_DE</string>
>
> And because of that setup, VisualWorks was not runnable on this machine!
> My setup does NOT include this definition, and I am using VW for years
> on MacOSX.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Roland

Re: [vwnc] MacOS X Command Line Trouble

Steffen Märcker
Sorry for double posting, the file should be located in
/Users/YourName/.MacOSX/ - just like Roland explained.

Steffen

-----------------

Thank you Roland,

unfortunatly this is not the reason. My .plist doesn't containt the
lanugage variable.
But this is a useful tip for all VW Users on MacOS X to set the
VISUALWORKS variable globally. Edit or create
/Users/YourName/environment.plist and add the variable:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
             <key>VISUALWORKS</key>
             <string>/Users/Steffen/vw7.6nc</string>
</dict>
</plist>

This could be perfectly done from within VW in future releases...

Ciao, Steffen

Am 27.03.2009, 13:45 Uhr, schrieb Roland Wagener <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Steffen
>
> my collegue just remembered a support case some years ago, where the
> environment setup was responsible for a crashing VM on MacOSX.
>
> In your user folder (e.g. /Users/roland/ ), you should have a folder
> named '.MacOSX', which can hold a file called 'environment.plist'. This
> Plist (Property List) can be used to setup environment variables for
> you, they are installed when you log into MacOSX. It is a mechanism
> somewhat like a '.cshrc' file on other Unix/Linux systems. A customer
> once had a setup for variable 'LANG' with the value 'de_DE'. In the
> Plist, it looked like this:
>          <key>LANG</key>
>          <string>de_DE</string>
>
> And because of that setup, VisualWorks was not runnable on this machine!
> My setup does NOT include this definition, and I am using VW for years
> on MacOSX.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Roland

Re: [vwnc] MacOS X Command Line Trouble - the key to the mystery

Steffen Märcker
Great news, I've found out, that is indeed a locale issue and related to
the env-var LANG.
On a German System it is set by default to de_DE.UTF-8 (check $LANG), but
the actual value seems unimportant. Visualworks starts up fine, no matter
which value is set, but it must be additionally set before starting the vm
(although it hold a value by default).
This works:

#!/bin/bash
# Which locale is not important, it counts that is is set here,
# no matter that it is already set by default.
LANG=en_DE.UTF-8
export LANG
./vw7.6nc/bin/macx/visual.app/Contents/MacOS/visual visualnc.im

I hope this helps to solve the bug.

Steffen