[vwnc] MacOSX X11 - platform priorities

Alan Knight-2
In misreading a bug report, I was reminded about the MacOSX X11 VM. This was originally developed as a stopgap when we had a lot of problems with the MacOSX native VM, to the point where it was near-unusable. Now our MacOS X native VM has fewer problems, and I'm curious if there are people still using the MacOSX X11 VM and consider it important, or if it's something we could reasonably drop and spend the time on something people would consider more important.

--
Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

Re: [vwnc] MacOSX X11 - platform priorities

Steven Kelly
Alan Knight wrote:
> In misreading a bug report, I was reminded about the MacOSX X11 VM.
> This was originally developed as a stopgap when we had a lot of
> problems with the MacOSX native VM, to the point where it was near-
> unusable. Now our MacOS X native VM has fewer problems, and I'm
curious
> if there are people still using the MacOSX X11 VM and consider it
> important, or if it's something we could reasonably drop and spend the
> time on something people would consider more important.

The current version of our app is deployed with the MacOSX X11 VM (7.4d
with 7.4.1 image). We last checked the native VM in 7.6 (where we're
currently developing), and at that point it still had too many graphics
problems to replace the X11 VM. We'd prefer to use the native VM,
because of the better UI experience, but that is dependent on improving
graphics performance and removing glitches.

My recollection of the main problems is: performance, GF/ST graphics,
scrollbars, and text widgets (highlighted area was a different width
from actual displayed font). I don't recall which problems exhibited
with which VM versions, but we'll be looking again at these in 7.7.

Steve