[vwnc] Not a valid pocket PC application

[vwnc] Not a valid pocket PC application

david.long
Hello,

I have a .exe which I made using Inno Setup. It contains a visual.exe and an image file, which it normally installs by running the installer. When I copy the .exe to
an HP 4650 pocket PC - I get a message saying "Not a valid Pocket PC Application". I was wondering if anyone had a solution for running VisualWorks Smalltalk
applications under the Pocket PC (windows mobile) operating system?

thanks,

David

Your business, your way.
http://sageteagroup.com

Re: [vwnc] Not a valid pocket PC application

Georg Heeg

David,

Certainly putting a Windows x86 exe on a pocket PC with ARM processor can never run. Please use the Windows CE for ARM VM instead. I am certain there is also documentation that describes what to do. E.g. you have to install that VM it does not come with the standard installation.

Georg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812

Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Re: [vwnc] Not a valid pocket PC application

david.long
Hi Georg,
thank you. I will do that.

regards,
David
On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 19:45 +0200, Georg Heeg wrote:
David,

Certainly putting a Windows x86 exe on a pocket PC with ARM processor can never run. Please use the Windows CE for ARM VM instead. I am certain there is also documentation that describes what to do. E.g. you have to install that VM it does not come with the standard installation.

Georg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812

Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Re: [vwnc] Not a valid pocket PC application

Bruce Boyer
David,

The documentation remains in the release notes for 7.6, in its own section.

Bruce

Re: [vwnc] Not a valid pocket PC application

david.long
Hi Bruce,

Ok, I got a bit further with launching this Smalltalk app on Windows CE on an IPAQ.

It launches, but comes back with:

I:\license\waldo\feb08.3\bin\src\mman\mminit.c 528
Insufficient memory to allocate heap

Do I need to set some memory settings or something? (the image was 47 megs)

thanks,

David

The documentation remains in the release notes for 7.6, in its own section.

Bruce

I have a .exe which I made using Inno Setup. It contains a visual.exe and an image file, which it normally installs by running the installer. When I copy the .exe to
an HP 4650 pocket PC - I get a message saying "Not a valid Pocket PC Application". I was wondering if anyone had a solution for running VisualWorks Smalltalk
applications under the Pocket PC (windows mobile) operating system?

thanks,

David

Your business, your way.
http://sageteagroup.com

CEO, SAGETEA Group
http://sageteagroup.com
cell) 613 796 3048
main) 613 216 1800
"Your business, your way"

Re: [vwnc] Not a valid pocket PC application

Bruce Boyer

I'll have to punt to someone with more knowledge than myself.  Sorry.

Georg?

Bruce

The documentation remains in the release notes for 7.6, in its own section.

Bruce

Re: [vwnc] Not a valid pocket PC application

Ralf Propach
David AH Long wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> Ok, I got a bit further with launching this Smalltalk app on Windows CE on an IPAQ.
> It launches, but comes back with:
>
> I:\license\waldo\feb08.3\bin\src\mman\mminit.c 528
> Insufficient memory to allocate heap
>
> Do I need to set some memory settings or something? (the image was 47 megs)
>
> thanks,
>
> David

Hi David,

yes, there is a setting you could try:
On the IPAQ, under settings > system > memory, you can use a slider to decide
how much memory should be used for programs and data. Make sure the free program memory
is bigger than your image plus some overhead (I guess about 55 Megs total should be enough).
If your IPAQ, like mine, has only 64 Megs, I would say you need to strip down the image a bit.

Ralf

Ralf Propach, [hidden email]
Tel: +49 231 975 99 38   Fax: +49 231 975 99 20
Georg Heeg eK (Dortmund)
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

Re: [vwnc] Not a valid pocket PC application

david.long
Hi Ralf,

thank you for the info. I let the customer know - and will see what I can do to make a smaller image.

regards,

David