[vwnc] Preparing an image for local deployment

[vwnc] Preparing an image for local deployment

Rick Flower
Hi all..

I've been working on a Seaside/VW based web-app for the past 3 years (on
and off) and have taken it through various design changes to the point
where I'm about ready to turn a few people loose on it this coming weekend
for some initial testing & feedback from friends.

To that end, I was wondering what sort of stuff needs to be done to get my
image ready for deployment.. There are obvious steps I gather that I can
do such as ensuring my code is written to my local repository, running the
tool that will setup the image for headless usage,etc.  Are there any
other things I need to know in order to move to the next phase of
development/deployment?  Many thanks in advance!

Re: [vwnc] Preparing an image for local deployment

Alan Knight-2
At 12:56 PM 1/13/2009, Rick Flower wrote:
Hi all..

I've been working on a Seaside/VW based web-app for the past 3 years (on
and off) and have taken it through various design changes to the point
where I'm about ready to turn a few people loose on it this coming weekend
for some initial testing & feedback from friends.

To that end, I was wondering what sort of stuff needs to be done to get my
image ready for deployment.. There are obvious steps I gather that I can
do such as ensuring my code is written to my local repository, running the
tool that will setup the image for headless usage,etc.  Are there any
other things I need to know in order to move to the next phase of
development/deployment?  Many thanks in advance!

I guess you'd need to know how to turn off debugging features like Halos that aren't appropriate for end users.

I note that there isn't a tool to set the image up for headless. You can just do a "save headless as", or even skip that step and put a -headless on the command line when starting.

--
Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: [vwnc] Preparing an image for local deployment

davidbuck
Rick Flower wrote:

> Hi all..
>
> I've been working on a Seaside/VW based web-app for the past 3 years (on
> and off) and have taken it through various design changes to the point
> where I'm about ready to turn a few people loose on it this coming weekend
> for some initial testing & feedback from friends.
>
> To that end, I was wondering what sort of stuff needs to be done to get my
> image ready for deployment.. There are obvious steps I gather that I can
> do such as ensuring my code is written to my local repository, running the
> tool that will setup the image for headless usage,etc.  Are there any
> other things I need to know in order to move to the next phase of
> development/deployment?  Many thanks in advance!

I use this:

Store.DbRegistry disconnect.
WADispatcher default initialize.
WADispatcher default trimForDeployment.
MyApplication register.
(WADispatcher default entryPointAt: 'my-application') preferenceAt:
#deploymentMode put: true

Change "MyApplication" and my-application accordingly.  After running
that, use "Save Headless As.."

David Buck
Simberon Inc.,
www.simberon.com

Re: [vwnc] Preparing an image for local deployment

Rick Flower
On Tue, January 13, 2009 10:14 am, Alan Knight wrote:

[ ... ]

> I guess you'd need to know how to turn off debugging features like Halos
> that aren't appropriate for end users.

Yes.. I forgot about that.. I believe they disappear once I tell Seaside that
I'm in deployment mode.

> I note that there isn't a tool to set the image up for headless. You can
> just do a "save headless as", or even skip that step and put a -headless
> on the command line when starting.

Cool.. In the off chance that a user gets a DNU, what happens in VW?  Is
there
anything I need to know or a way to trap that sort of thing at runtime
outside of using exception handling to try and catch anything odd? (not
sure
that would even work for Seaside or not)

Thanks again for the info Alan & David!

Re: [vwnc] Preparing an image for local deployment

James Robertson-7
If you either save headless (or start with the -headless command line
option), then MNU's simply kill the process that led to them.  That
may (or may not) be a problem for the user action that spawned it; for
the blog server here at Cincom I just have such exceptions logged to
the Transcript, and I periodically look at the log file you get for
headless operation

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Jan 13, 2009, at 1:47 PM, Rick Flower wrote:

> On Tue, January 13, 2009 10:14 am, Alan Knight wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
>> I guess you'd need to know how to turn off debugging features like
>> Halos
>> that aren't appropriate for end users.
>
> Yes.. I forgot about that.. I believe they disappear once I tell
> Seaside that
> I'm in deployment mode.
>
>> I note that there isn't a tool to set the image up for headless.
>> You can
>> just do a "save headless as", or even skip that step and put a -
>> headless
>> on the command line when starting.
>
> Cool.. In the off chance that a user gets a DNU, what happens in
> VW?  Is
> there
> anything I need to know or a way to trap that sort of thing at runtime
> outside of using exception handling to try and catch anything odd?
> (not
> sure
> that would even work for Seaside or not)
>
> Thanks again for the info Alan & David!

Re: [vwnc] Preparing an image for local deployment

Alan Knight-2
-runtime

or

DeploymentOptionSystem current startInRuntime: true.

and then save the image as myruntimeimagename.im

You probably then want to quit without saving, or else you've just put your development image into runtime mode, and need the converse "-development" flag.

On Tue, January 13, 2009 10:58 am, James Robertson wrote:
> If you either save headless (or start with the -headless command line
> option), then MNU's simply kill the process that led to them.  That
> may (or may not) be a problem for the user action that spawned it; for
> the blog server here at Cincom I just have such exceptions logged to
> the Transcript, and I periodically look at the log file you get for
> headless operation

Thanks for the heads-up on that.. I guess I'll look into that a bit
further to try it out w/ regards to Seaside..