[vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

12

[vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Andrey Larionov
Hi, all. I'm a newbee.
I Just downloaded install image of VWNC 7.6 and try to install. I run
installUnix script but absolutly nothing hapens. No log message no
errors - nothing.
Anybody have any suggestion on my problem?

Also yesterday i try to install via online installer but also no
succes. After some time of connecting to cincom ftp (i think it try to
retrive install.map) it produce a next error message. I attach
error.log to this email.

Thanx.

error.log (39K) Download Attachment

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Reinout Heeck-3
Andrey Larionov wrote:
> Hi, all. I'm a newbee.

Welcome!

> I Just downloaded install image of VWNC 7.6 and try to install. I run
> installUnix script but absolutly nothing hapens. No log message no
> errors - nothing.
> Anybody have any suggestion on my problem?

Install the Ubuntu 'csh' package first, see here:

http://marc-abramowitz.com/archives/2006/10/09/the-trick-to-installing-cincom-smalltalk-on-ubuntu/

Enjoy,

Reinout
-------

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Reinout Heeck-2
Andrey Larionov wrote:
> Hi, all. I'm a newbee.

Welcome!

> I Just downloaded install image of VWNC 7.6 and try to install. I run
> installUnix script but absolutly nothing hapens. No log message no
> errors - nothing.
> Anybody have any suggestion on my problem?

Install the Ubuntu 'csh' package first, see here:

http://marc-abramowitz.com/archives/2006/10/09/the-trick-to-installing-cincom-smalltalk-on-ubuntu/

Enjoy,

Reinout
-------

[vwnc] Fwd: Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Andrey Larionov
Oops. By default reply to is not to mailing list.

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Andrey Larionov
Thanks for advice. Try it today.

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 17:57, Lautaro Fernández <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrey Larinov,
> Did you try to put the whole CD in an specific folder, i.e.:
> /home/andrey/vwCD
> and then give it all the permisions?
> (chmod 777 -R /home/andrey/vwCD/* )
>
> This was always my problem when I install VW on my computer under linux (now
> I'm using Ubuntu 7.10).
> Tell me if this works for you.
> Bye,
> Lautaro
>
> 2008/6/25 Andrey Larionov <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi, all. I'm a newbee.
>> I Just downloaded install image of VWNC 7.6 and try to install. I run
>> installUnix script but absolutly nothing hapens. No log message no
>> errors - nothing.
>> Anybody have any suggestion on my problem?
>>
>> Also yesterday i try to install via online installer but also no
>> succes. After some time of connecting to cincom ftp (i think it try to
>> retrive install.map) it produce a next error message. I attach
>> error.log to this email.
>>
>> Thanx.

> Luke LAut SkyFernadezWalker

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Andrey Larionov
I copy all files from image in separate folder, Give all permissions
to my user, but installer dosnt starts. No success.

Andrey Larionov wrote:
> I copy all files from image in separate folder, Give all permissions
> to my user, but installer dosnt starts. No success.

How irritating.

If you start the installer script from the command line do you see any
diagnostic output?

Of course it could be that your download is corrupted. I was going to
suggest that you check that using md5 checksums, but I see the checksums
are not published on the Cincom download page :-(

Perhaps someone else can post the md5 sum of a 76nc iso here...

-

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 18:13, Andrey Larionov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for advice. Try it today.
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 17:57, Lautaro Fernández <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Andrey Larinov,
>>> Did you try to put the whole CD in an specific folder, i.e.:
>>> /home/andrey/vwCD
>>> and then give it all the permisions?
>>> (chmod 777 -R /home/andrey/vwCD/* )
>>>
>>> This was always my problem when I install VW on my computer under linux (now
>>> I'm using Ubuntu 7.10).
>>> Tell me if this works for you.
>>> Bye,
>>> Lautaro

>>> --
>>> Luke LAut SkyFernadezWalker

Dit e-mailbericht is alleen bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).

Gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan. Indien u niet degeadresseerde(n) bent wordt u verzocht de verzender hiervan op de hoogte te stellen en het bericht te verwijderen. Door de elektronische verzending kunnen aan de inhoud van dit bericht geen rechten worden ontleend.

Soops B.V. is gevestigd te Amsterdam, Nederland, en is geregistreerd bij de Kamer van Koophandel onder nummer 33240368.
Soops B.V. levert volgens de Fenit voorwaarden, gedeponeerd te Den Haag op 8 december 1994 onder nummer 1994/189.

This e-mail message is intended to be exclusively for the addressee.

If you are not the intended recipient you are kindly requested not to make any use whatsoever of the contents and to notify the sender immediately by returning this e-mail message. No rights can be derived from this message.

Soops B.V. is a private limited liability company and has its seat at Amsterdam, The Netherlands and is registered with the Trade Registry of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry under number 33240368.
Soops B.V. delivers according to the General Terms and Conditions of Business of Fenit, registered at The Hague, The Netherlands on December 8th, 1994, under number 1994/189

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Andrey Larionov
When i start installer from command line there is no any output in
both stdout and stderr. It'll be great if somebody posts md5 sums.

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 15:18, Reinout Heeck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andrey Larionov wrote:
>> I copy all files from image in separate folder, Give all permissions
>> to my user, but installer dosnt starts. No success.
>>
> How irritating.
>
> If you start the installer script from the command line do you see any
> diagnostic output?
>
> Of course it could be that your download is corrupted. I was going to
> suggest that you check that using md5 checksums, but I see the checksums
> are not published on the Cincom download page :-(
>
> Perhaps someone else can post the md5 sum of a 76nc iso here...

> -
>

>> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 18:13, Andrey Larionov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for advice. Try it today.

> Dit e-mailbericht is alleen bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).
>
> Gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan. Indien u niet degeadresseerde(n) bent wordt u verzocht de verzender hiervan op de hoogte te stellen en het bericht te verwijderen. Door de elektronische verzending kunnen aan de inhoud van dit bericht geen rechten worden ontleend.
>
> Soops B.V. is gevestigd te Amsterdam, Nederland, en is geregistreerd bij de Kamer van Koophandel onder nummer 33240368.
> Soops B.V. levert volgens de Fenit voorwaarden, gedeponeerd te Den Haag op 8 december 1994 onder nummer 1994/189.
>
> This e-mail message is intended to be exclusively for the addressee.
>
> If you are not the intended recipient you are kindly requested not to make any use whatsoever of the contents and to notify the sender immediately by returning this e-mail message. No rights can be derived from this message.
>
> Soops B.V. is a private limited liability company and has its seat at Amsterdam, The Netherlands and is registered with the Trade Registry of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry under number 33240368.
> Soops B.V. delivers according to the General Terms and Conditions of Business of Fenit, registered at The Hague, The Netherlands on December 8th, 1994, under number 1994/189

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

kobetic
Andrey Larionov wrote:
> When i start installer from command line there is no any output in
> both stdout and stderr. It'll be great if somebody posts md5 sums.

138d2568956d6350d7f54afa88728df2  CST08NC_mar08.1.iso

HTH,

Martin

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 15:18, Reinout Heeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Andrey Larionov wrote:
>>> I copy all files from image in separate folder, Give all permissions
>>> to my user, but installer dosnt starts. No success.
>>>
>> How irritating.
>>
>> If you start the installer script from the command line do you see any
>> diagnostic output?
>>
>> Of course it could be that your download is corrupted. I was going to
>> suggest that you check that using md5 checksums, but I see the checksums
>> are not published on the Cincom download page :-(
>>
>> Perhaps someone else can post the md5 sum of a 76nc iso here...

>> -

>> --
>>
>> Dit e-mailbericht is alleen bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).
>>
>> Gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan. Indien u niet degeadresseerde(n) bent wordt u verzocht de verzender hiervan op de hoogte te stellen en het bericht te verwijderen. Door de elektronische verzending kunnen aan de inhoud van dit bericht geen rechten worden ontleend.
>>
>> Soops B.V. is gevestigd te Amsterdam, Nederland, en is geregistreerd bij de Kamer van Koophandel onder nummer 33240368.
>> Soops B.V. levert volgens de Fenit voorwaarden, gedeponeerd te Den Haag op 8 december 1994 onder nummer 1994/189.
>>
>> This e-mail message is intended to be exclusively for the addressee.
>>
>> If you are not the intended recipient you are kindly requested not to make any use whatsoever of the contents and to notify the sender immediately by returning this e-mail message. No rights can be derived from this message.
>>
>> Soops B.V. is a private limited liability company and has its seat at Amsterdam, The Netherlands and is registered with the Trade Registry of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry under number 33240368.
>> Soops B.V. delivers according to the General Terms and Conditions of Business of Fenit, registered at The Hague, The Netherlands on December 8th, 1994, under number 1994/189

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Andrey Larionov
Thanks. On sunday i'll check image.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 19:07, Martin Kobetic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andrey Larionov wrote:
>>
>> When i start installer from command line there is no any output in
>> both stdout and stderr. It'll be great if somebody posts md5 sums.
>
> 138d2568956d6350d7f54afa88728df2  CST08NC_mar08.1.iso
>
> HTH,
>
> Martin

>>> How irritating.
>>>
>>> If you start the installer script from the command line do you see any
>>> diagnostic output?
>>>
>>> Of course it could be that your download is corrupted. I was going to
>>> suggest that you check that using md5 checksums, but I see the checksums
>>> are not published on the Cincom download page :-(
>>>
>>> Perhaps someone else can post the md5 sum of a 76nc iso here...

>>> -

>>> --
>>> *********************************************************************
>>>
>>> Dit e-mailbericht is alleen bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).
>>>
>>> Gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan. Indien u niet degeadresseerde(n)
>>> bent wordt u verzocht de verzender hiervan op de hoogte te stellen en het
>>> bericht te verwijderen. Door de elektronische verzending kunnen aan de
>>> inhoud van dit bericht geen rechten worden ontleend.
>>>
>>> Soops B.V. is gevestigd te Amsterdam, Nederland, en is geregistreerd bij
>>> de Kamer van Koophandel onder nummer 33240368.
>>> Soops B.V. levert volgens de Fenit voorwaarden, gedeponeerd te Den Haag
>>> op 8 december 1994 onder nummer 1994/189.
>>>
>>> This e-mail message is intended to be exclusively for the addressee.
>>>
>>> If you are not the intended recipient you are kindly requested not to
>>> make any use whatsoever of the contents and to notify the sender immediately
>>> by returning this e-mail message. No rights can be derived from this
>>> message.
>>>
>>> Soops B.V. is a private limited liability company and has its seat at
>>> Amsterdam, The Netherlands and is registered with the Trade Registry of the
>>> Chamber of Commerce and Industry under number 33240368.
>>> Soops B.V. delivers according to the General Terms and Conditions of
>>> Business of Fenit, registered at The Hague, The Netherlands on December 8th,
>>> 1994, under number 1994/189

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Michel Duf
Hi Andrey,

Did you resolve your issue, I have exactly the same problem?

I just install 8.04 without any problem but for now still cannot
install VW as you when I start the install script nothing happen :(

Michel

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Andrey Larionov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks. On sunday i'll check image.
>
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 19:07, Martin Kobetic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Andrey Larionov wrote:
>>>
>>> When i start installer from command line there is no any output in
>>> both stdout and stderr. It'll be great if somebody posts md5 sums.
>>
>> 138d2568956d6350d7f54afa88728df2  CST08NC_mar08.1.iso
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Martin

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Bruce Badger
On previous versions of Ubuntu inserting the following into your
script before starting VW helped:

    xset fp rehash

hth,
   Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Andrey Larionov
Thanks, Bruce.
My image is correct. Try your advice as soon as can access to my PC

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 22:36, Bruce Badger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On previous versions of Ubuntu inserting the following into your
> script before starting VW helped:
>
>    xset fp rehash
>
> hth,
>   Bruce
> --
> Make the most of your skills - with OpenSkills
> http://www.openskills.org/

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Steven Kelly
We have a couple of cases on Ubuntu where our VW 7.4.1 app hasn't worked
even with xset fp rehash. The problem then has apparently been that
Ubuntu's fonts were messed up in some way: when VW asks, Ubuntu says it
has an Adobe Helvetica font, but when VW tries to get that font Ubuntu
says it doesn't exist. In both cases, installing the Ghostscript fonts
and aliases cured the problem:

sudo apt-get install gsfonts-x11

HTH,
Steve

PS our user's bug report including the zipped error trace is here:
http://www.metacase.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=47

bit)

> Thanks, Bruce.
> My image is correct. Try your advice as soon as can access to my PC
>
> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 22:36, Bruce Badger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On previous versions of Ubuntu inserting the following into your
> > script before starting VW helped:
> >
> >    xset fp rehash
> >
> > hth,
> >   Bruce
> > --
> > Make the most of your skills - with OpenSkills
> > http://www.openskills.org/

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Alan Knight-2
The xset fp rehash should not be necessary any more. This was a bug with the window manager messing up the font path. It has supposedly been fixed in more recent versions of the window manager, and the thing that VisualWorks was doing that caused it to manifest is no longer done in 7.6. (On startup, finding system fonts to match the fonts that it was saved with, and then later in startup throwing them away and getting fonts more appropriate to the system it's now running on).

At 04:35 AM 7/7/2008, Steven Kelly wrote:
We have a couple of cases on Ubuntu where our VW 7.4.1 app hasn't worked
even with xset fp rehash. The problem then has apparently been that
Ubuntu's fonts were messed up in some way: when VW asks, Ubuntu says it
has an Adobe Helvetica font, but when VW tries to get that font Ubuntu
says it doesn't exist. In both cases, installing the Ghostscript fonts
and aliases cured the problem:

sudo apt-get install gsfonts-x11

HTH,
Steve

PS our user's bug report including the zipped error trace is here:
http://www.metacase.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=47

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Michel Duf
Hi,

I tried something else by installing Suse Linux and got the same
problem while trying to install VW.

My new compturer is a HP Slimware (amd 64 -dual core).

I think the problem it is hardware because on my old Pentium 4, same
Ubuntu version I was able to install easily. Except that I cannot set
the VISUALWORK env. variable.

Michel

On 7/7/08, Alan Knight <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The xset fp rehash should not be necessary any more. This was a bug with the
> window manager messing up the font path. It has supposedly been fixed in
> more recent versions of the window manager, and the thing that VisualWorks
> was doing that caused it to manifest is no longer done in 7.6. (On startup,
> finding system fonts to match the fonts that it was saved with, and then
> later in startup throwing them away and getting fonts more appropriate to
> the system it's now running on).
>

> At 04:35 AM 7/7/2008, Steven Kelly wrote:
> We have a couple of cases on Ubuntu where our VW 7.4.1 app hasn't worked
> even with xset fp rehash. The problem then has apparently been that
> Ubuntu's fonts were messed up in some way: when VW asks, Ubuntu says it
> has an Adobe Helvetica font, but when VW tries to get that font Ubuntu
> says it doesn't exist. In both cases, installing the Ghostscript fonts
> and aliases cured the problem:
>
> sudo apt-get install gsfonts-x11
>
> HTH,
> Steve
>
> PS our user's bug report including the zipped error trace is here:
> http://www.metacase.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=47

I have no success on three different machines. Still recive empty
exception window. Is Cincom have tested VW, or can recomendate some
free distribution of linux?

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 18:30, Michel Dufour <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried something else by installing Suse Linux and got the same
> problem while trying to install VW.
>
> My new compturer is a HP Slimware (amd 64 -dual core).
>
> I think the problem it is hardware because on my old Pentium 4, same
> Ubuntu version I was able to install easily. Except that I cannot set
> the VISUALWORK env. variable.
>
> Michel
>

> On 7/7/08, Alan Knight <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The xset fp rehash should not be necessary any more. This was a bug with the
>> window manager messing up the font path. It has supposedly been fixed in
>> more recent versions of the window manager, and the thing that VisualWorks
>> was doing that caused it to manifest is no longer done in 7.6. (On startup,
>> finding system fonts to match the fonts that it was saved with, and then
>> later in startup throwing them away and getting fonts more appropriate to
>> the system it's now running on).
>>

>> At 04:35 AM 7/7/2008, Steven Kelly wrote:
>> We have a couple of cases on Ubuntu where our VW 7.4.1 app hasn't worked
>> even with xset fp rehash. The problem then has apparently been that
>> Ubuntu's fonts were messed up in some way: when VW asks, Ubuntu says it
>> has an Adobe Helvetica font, but when VW tries to get that font Ubuntu
>> says it doesn't exist. In both cases, installing the Ghostscript fonts
>> and aliases cured the problem:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install gsfonts-x11
>>
>> HTH,
>> Steve
>>
>> PS our user's bug report including the zipped error trace is here:
>> http://www.metacase.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=47

jtuchel
No idea whether this might be related, but the empty exception window is what I get if I open a 7.6 image with a 7.5 VM on my MacIntel. Are you sure you don't have 2 versions of VW installed - or do you ensure that the right one is being used?

>I have no success on three different machines. Still recive empty
>exception window. Is Cincom have tested VW, or can recomendate some
>free distribution of linux?
>
>On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 18:30, Michel Dufour <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried something else by installing Suse Linux and got the same
>> problem while trying to install VW.
>>
>> My new compturer is a HP Slimware (amd 64 -dual core).
>>
>> I think the problem it is hardware because on my old Pentium 4, same
>> Ubuntu version I was able to install easily. Except that I cannot set
>> the VISUALWORK env. variable.
>>
>> Michel
>>

>> On 7/7/08, Alan Knight <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The xset fp rehash should not be necessary any more. This was a bug with
>the
>>> window manager messing up the font path. It has supposedly been fixed in
>>> more recent versions of the window manager, and the thing that VisualWorks
>>> was doing that caused it to manifest is no longer done in 7.6. (On
>startup,
>>> finding system fonts to match the fonts that it was saved with, and then
>>> later in startup throwing them away and getting fonts more appropriate to
>>> the system it's now running on).
>>>

>>> At 04:35 AM 7/7/2008, Steven Kelly wrote:
>>> We have a couple of cases on Ubuntu where our VW 7.4.1 app hasn't worked
>>> even with xset fp rehash. The problem then has apparently been that
>>> Ubuntu's fonts were messed up in some way: when VW asks, Ubuntu says it
>>> has an Adobe Helvetica font, but when VW tries to get that font Ubuntu
>>> says it doesn't exist. In both cases, installing the Ghostscript fonts
>>> and aliases cured the problem:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get install gsfonts-x11
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Steve

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

Andrey Larionov
Yes, i'm sure. Only if Cincom distribute it on 7.6 ISO image. And by
NET installer :)
Nobody uses VW on Linux?

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 16:00, Joachim Tuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No idea whether this might be related, but the empty exception window is what I get if I open a 7.6 image with a 7.5 VM on my MacIntel. Are you sure you don't have 2 versions of VW installed - or do you ensure that the right one is being used?
>
>>I have no success on three different machines. Still recive empty
>>exception window. Is Cincom have tested VW, or can recomendate some
>>free distribution of linux?
>>
>>On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 18:30, Michel Dufour <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I tried something else by installing Suse Linux and got the same
>>> problem while trying to install VW.
>>>
>>> My new compturer is a HP Slimware (amd 64 -dual core).
>>>
>>> I think the problem it is hardware because on my old Pentium 4, same
>>> Ubuntu version I was able to install easily. Except that I cannot set
>>> the VISUALWORK env. variable.
>>>
>>> Michel

>>the
>>startup,

Re: [vwnc] Problem installing VWNC 7.6 on Ubuntu 7.10 (32 bit)

James Robertson-7
In general, images are not down-compatible with older VMs.  A 7.x
image should work with the matching VM version (or any newer VM in the
7.x series), but not in the other order

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

12