[vwnc] Problem when changing icon of windows folder

[vwnc] Problem when changing icon of windows folder

Philippe Demaecker

Hello list,

I’m having trouble making a snapshot of a vanilla image that is located in a folder with a customized icon.

OS is Vista, can be reproduced with both a 7.4 and 7.6 vanilla image, also on my colleague’s PC.

Scenario:

. create a new folder c:\TEST

. change the icon of this folder to another one:

. the folder now shows the icon you just selected:

. next,  copy a vanilla image in this folder (7.4.1 or 7.6) and open it

. save the image with another name

. you get error:  “snapshot file can not be written”

Snapshot(Object)>>error:

Snapshot>>setUpForSnapshot

optimized [] in Snapshot>>snapshot

BlockClosure>>ensure:

Snapshot class>>withSnapshot:do:

Snapshot>>snapshot

Snapshot>>saveDialogThenQuit:

ObjectMemory class>>saveDialogThenQuit:

Any ideas?

Best,

Philippe

Re: [vwnc] Problem when changing icon of windows folder

Alan Knight-2
That's because, when you change the icon, Windows sets the read-only bit on the folder. VisualWorks foolishly interprets this as meaning that the folder is read-only. This is fixed in 7.7, where we ignore the read-only bit on directories under Windows.

At 08:19 AM 2009-11-05, Philippe Demaecker wrote:

Hello list,

I’m having trouble making a snapshot of a vanilla image that is located in a folder with a customized icon.

OS is Vista, can be reproduced with both a 7.4 and 7.6 vanilla image, also on my colleague’s PC.

Scenario:
. create a new folder c:\TEST
. change the icon of this folder to another one:
[]

. the folder now shows the icon you just selected:
[]
. next,  copy a vanilla image in this folder (7.4.1 or 7.6) and open it
. save the image with another name
. you get error:  “snapshot file can not be written”
Snapshot(Object)>>error:
Snapshot>>setUpForSnapshot
optimized [] in Snapshot>>snapshot
BlockClosure>>ensure:
Snapshot class>>withSnapshot:do:
Snapshot>>snapshot
Snapshot>>saveDialogThenQuit:
ObjectMemory class>>saveDialogThenQuit:

Any ideas?

Best,
Philippe

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

Re: [vwnc] Problem when changing icon of windows folder

Philippe Demaecker

Thanks for the explanation, Alan.

Re: [vwnc] Problem when changing icon of windows folder

Steven Kelly

And the fix (in any version prior to 7.7) is to add:

PCFilename>>isWritable

   ^super isWritable or: [self isDirectory]

Steve