[vwnc] Refactory browser documentation

Marco D'Ambros
Dear all,

where I can find some documentation about extending/modifying the RB?

thanks and cheers
Marco D'Ambros

Re: [vwnc] Refactory browser documentation

Bruce Boyer
If you want to add rewrite rules, see the Tools Guide.  But, if you want to
revise the browser itself, there is no documentation.  You have to read the
code.

Bruce

> where I can find some documentation about extending/modifying the RB?
>
> thanks and cheers
> Marco D'Ambros

Re: [vwnc] Refactory browser documentation

Joachim Geidel
Re: [vwnc] Refactory browser documentation Am 07.08.08 15:47 schrieb Bruce Boyer:
> If you want to add rewrite rules, see the Tools Guide.

...which covers the "normal" rewrite rule syntax, but not the advanced features which are described here:
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3236371324
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/runarj/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3263297804

> But, if you want to
> revise the browser itself, there is no documentation.  You have to read the
> code.

:-(

Joachim

Re: [vwnc] Refactory browser documentation

Marco D'Ambros

Thanks for the advices...

Looking at some examples in the code, I found out that to add a tab in the code view (like source, comments, code critic etc.) I should create a subclass of:
- CodeToolSelectionPolicy - and implement
#name (the name displayed on the tab)
#codeToolClassForClass: aBehavior (if I want the tab to appear when selecting a class)
#initialize (on the class side) which is just  ^self addSelectionPolicy
- CodeTool, which is the class containing the canvas to be displayed.

I looked at examples which implement just those things and after calling the initialize method (on the class side), they worked.
I tried to create my own but the tab does not appear...

Do I miss something?

Thanks and cheers
Marco

On Aug 7, 2008, at 5:09 PM, Joachim Geidel wrote:
Am 07.08.08 15:47 schrieb Bruce Boyer:
> If you want to add rewrite rules, see the Tools Guide.

...which covers the "normal" rewrite rule syntax, but not the advanced features which are described here:
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3236371324
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/runarj/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3263297804

> But, if you want to
> revise the browser itself, there is no documentation.  You have to read the
> code.

:-(

Joachim

Re: [vwnc] Refactory browser documentation

Travis Griggs-3

On Aug 8, 2008, at 12:21 AM, Marco D'Ambros wrote:

> Thanks for the advices...
>
> Looking at some examples in the code, I found out that to add a tab
> in the code view (like source, comments, code critic etc.) I should
> create a subclass of:
> - CodeToolSelectionPolicy - and implement
> #name (the name displayed on the tab)
> #codeToolClassForClass: aBehavior (if I want the tab to appear when
> selecting a class)
> #initialize (on the class side) which is just  ^self
> addSelectionPolicy
> - CodeTool, which is the class containing the canvas to be displayed.
>
> I looked at examples which implement just those things and after
> calling the initialize method (on the class side), they worked.
> I tried to create my own but the tab does not appear...
>
> Do I miss something?

What version of VW are you using? If you're using 7.6, this has been
changed/simplified. If you're in that lineage, all you have to do is
create a subclass of CodeTool, implement the desired APIs found in the
'Tab APIs' method category, and add a registration method to the class
side of CodeModel (see the class side 'tool registration' method
category for examples).

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Re: [vwnc] Refactory browser documentation

Vassili Bykov-2
This thread reminded me of the notes on RB architecture I wrote some
time ago, and with Travis' help I found them. They are two years old
and say much less than could be said on the subject, but it's more
than what used to be available. See here:
http://blog.3plus4.org/2008/08/14/inside-the-refactoring-browser/

Cheers,

--Vassili

Re: [vwnc] Refactory browser documentation

Runar Jordahl
If you use 7.6, you might want to look at
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/publicRepository/RBSourceCodeSearch.html
. This tab extension to the RB is very simple and should help you
understand how to add your own tool.

Runar