[vwnc] Removing overrides - no longer red but still in the parcel

[vwnc] Removing overrides - no longer red but still in the parcel

Thomas Gagné-2
The documentation is unclear about how to remove overridden code.  The
documentation makes a reference to the Overrides Tool, but I've never
found it.

If I want to get rid of an override in my parcel and restore the base's
code, do I want to restore the overriden code or remove the overriden
code?  When I tried removing it before the method was no longer red in
the browser (indicating its overridden) but it didn't disappear from my
parcel.

--
Visit <http://tggagne.blogspot.com/> for more great reading.

Re: [vwnc] Removing overrides - no longer red but still in the parcel

Randy Coulman

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Thomas Gagné <[hidden email]> wrote:
The documentation is unclear about how to remove overridden code.  The
documentation makes a reference to the Overrides Tool, but I've never
found it.

It's a tab in the bottom half of the RB (at least in 7.6).

If I want to get rid of an override in my parcel and restore the base's
code, do I want to restore the overriden code or remove the overriden
code?  When I tried removing it before the method was no longer red in
the browser (indicating its overridden) but it didn't disappear from my
parcel.

Restore overridden removes your override and restores the original method.  Remove overridden deletes the original method, leaving your override in place as the only version of that method.  I think.

Randy
--
Randy Coulman

Randy Coulman wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Restore overridden removes your override and restores the original
> method.  Remove overridden deletes the original method, leaving your
> override in place as the only version of that method.  I think.
I "restored" the override, but the method still appears in my parcel.  I
expected that if I overrode something into a parcel, then when I removed
the override (or restored it) that it would disappear from the parcel.
Of course, it's not highlighted in RED anymore, but it's still there.

> Randy
> --
> Randy Coulman

Visit <http://tggagne.blogspot.com/> for more great reading.

[vwnc] Parcels cannot be saved with overrides

Pierre-34
Hy all,
I made a parcel on VW7.3 that overrides some methodes of HotDraw. This is very usefull.
In the new version (VW7.6), I can load it but now I can't save it anymore : "Parcels cannot be saved with overrides". How can I do to be compliant with VW7.6 ?
Thanks,
    Pierre

Thomas Gagné a écrit :
Randy Coulman wrote:

<snip>

Restore overridden removes your override and restores the original
method.  Remove overridden deletes the original method, leaving your
override in place as the only version of that method.  I think.

I "restored" the override, but the method still appears in my parcel.  I
expected that if I overrode something into a parcel, then when I removed
the override (or restored it) that it would disappear from the parcel.
Of course, it's not highlighted in RED anymore, but it's still there.

Randy
--
Randy Coulman
[hidden email] [hidden email]

--
--------------------------------
Pierre Bommel - CIRAD - UR Green

Re: [vwnc] Parcels cannot be saved with overrides

Holger Guhl
The systems complains that it cannot parcel-out a parcel/package that
got overridden by other code. It is certainly able to parcel-out a
package that overrides code of e.g. HotDraw. So maybe, there is a simple
misunderstanding about the active code.
If you first load HotDraw (as is) and then load your enhancements,
overriding the original code, then you have the typical arrangement: A
delivered package and your extras over it. You can apply all development
activities on your enhancements and parcel out whatever your code
enhancement package has in it.
If you reload HotDraw over your enhancement, then HotDraw has the active
code and overrides your changes. This looks like the picture described
in your question: Your enhancement package cannot be saved as parcel.
There is the general weakness of the parcel storage system. It can save
overriding code but not overridden code. It assumes that the overridden
package is no longer the "active" package under development. If you
really have to change HotDraw's code and then parcel it out, then you
must unload your extra package prior to parcelling out.
An alternative is using Store which is prepared to publish a package "as
is" with the assumption that overridden code should be kept as
delivered. Store allows both saving overridden and overriding packages
into the database.
Hope that helps,

Holger Guhl
--
Senior Consultant * Certified Scrum Master * [hidden email]
Tel: +49 231 9 75 99 21 * Fax: +49 231 9 75 99 20

Pierre Bommel schrieb:

> Hy all,
> I made a parcel on VW7.3 that overrides some methodes of HotDraw. This
> is very usefull.
> In the new version (VW7.6), I can load it but now I can't save it
> anymore : "Parcels cannot be saved with overrides". How can I do to be
> compliant with VW7.6 ?
> Thanks,
>     Pierre
>
> Thomas Gagné a écrit :
>> Randy Coulman wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Restore overridden removes your override and restores the original
>>> method.  Remove overridden deletes the original method, leaving your
>>> override in place as the only version of that method.  I think.
>>>
>> I "restored" the override, but the method still appears in my parcel.  I
>> expected that if I overrode something into a parcel, then when I removed
>> the override (or restored it) that it would disappear from the parcel.
>> Of course, it's not highlighted in RED anymore, but it's still there.
>>
>>> Randy
>>> --
>>> Randy Coulman

> --------------------------------
> Pierre Bommel - CIRAD - UR Green
> Universidade de Brasília - CDS e FT
> SHIS QI 26, Conj. 15, Cs 18
> 71670-150
> Brasília DF
> tel : (00 55 61) 3208 3405
> http://www.cirad.fr/ur/green

Re: [vwnc] Parcels cannot be saved with overrides

Reinout Heeck-2
Holger Guhl wrote:
> The systems complains that it cannot parcel-out a parcel/package that
> got overridden by other code.
Which I would consider to be a bug.
The system has enough information to publish the overridden parcel...

-